Quantcast

pwn3d

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
.:Jeenyus:. said:
Aw, Ciaran, you deleted the first section of your last reply.

I may as well use the time that I am stereotyped of having a blind, rebellous, attitude towards my advantage. :)
I deleted it because it was unfair. Not all kids are bad, or naive. There are some kids who are dang smart and nice people.

And YES, use this time to your advantage! The slate gets wiped clean at 18 and your court records are sealed! Party down! Steal a car! Do drugs! Date H8Rs daughter! ;) (Just kiddin!)

elRey

Turbo Monkey
narlus said:
there was an article in the Globe last week about a day spa type thing which catered to girls as young as 4.

:help:

and you wonder why kids grow into brats? how many kids drive BMWs or Lexuses to their high school? the amount of entitlement these days is totally off the charts.

i'm sure my mom and dad would have said the same thing, but i think it's gone up exponentially.
There are soo many people at my school with BMW's, Mercedez, and Lexuses, it's ridiculous. They are all a bunch of b****** too.

--
But yeah, I think someone needs to stop posting so much on Ridemonkey and start spending more time with their kid.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: (and don't give any of that "I only look at RM at work" crap)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
elRey said:
But yeah, I think someone needs to stop posting so much on Ridemonkey and start spending more time with their kid.:rolleyes:
If it was my choice I'd spend all day, every day with her. It all goes by pretty quick, she'll be an adult in a few years.

Until then, it's my solemn duty to keep her away from the scum - like those that hang out on RM for instance.

:blah:

elRey

Turbo Monkey
H8R said:
If it was my choice I'd spend all day, every day with her. It all goes by pretty quick, she'll be an adult in a few years.

Until then, it's my solemn duty to keep her away from the scum - like those that hang out on RM for instance.

:blah:

I don't think you will have to try very hard to keep her away from RM.:think:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Brian HCM#1 said:
That's the problem with kids today, they now walk all over their parents. Parents are too scared to discipline their children. Most kids today are so inconsiderate and disrespectful to adults, it makes me sick.
I have no kids but things seemed different when I was one. My boss was telling me the other day how he had to mow the lawn when he got home. I asked him why he didn't have his teenage sons do it. He replied that they wouldn't do it. He asked them to do it they said no so he mows his own lawn, unbelievable.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Cracks me up to see these responses as if some of these guys know the situation or even know a lick about parenting. I'm not even close to being a parent and I know damn well that sometimes stomping all over your kid is the best way to keep them safe. Sometimes they'll hate you at the time. I know that there were times that I thought my parents were totally unreasonable. I look back on that now and laugh at how stupid I was.

And frankly, I do not question H8R's ability to out-sneak his daughter. She's just learning how to sneak around - some of us have many more years of experience and know the things to try :D. I hope he has been smart enough to install a monitoring utility or two on the computer she uses :p

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
as a parent, I know better than to question another's parenting approach when so few details are known.

Much credit given to H8R for being involved in and caring about his kid's life. That is getting less and less common these days.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
H8R said:
My daughter's dad's kid can't be trusted with the internet.
:think:

Turns out she can email at will from school.
:nonono:

That hammer is dropping tomorrow.
WOW they blocked all email crap at our school! it kinda sucks for us teachers who need to check home email from school!

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I am a parent now, and although she is not quite 2 the foundation of who is the boss has been firmly established.

Being a teacher gives me some insight as to what kids at H8R's daughters age are doing. He is definately on the right track! Being involved may be the best thing any parent can do. Show the kids that at anytime their actions may be questioned and further "checking up" may occur.

Anyone who comments as to H8R's parenting skills without having kids themselves needs to look for another thread to flame. That said, if you have contact with kids his daughters age, you may have enough insight to comment, but possibly not enough personal responsibility to make a qualified oppinion!

I approve of H8R and his parenting skills.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Westy said:
I have no kids but things seemed different when I was one. My boss was telling me the other day how he had to mow the lawn when he got home. I asked him why he didn't have his teenage sons do it. He replied that they wouldn't do it. He asked them to do it they said no so he mows his own lawn, unbelievable.
You should buy him a nice flowery skirt for his b-day. :think: Tell that man to sack up and start delegating military-style.

Edit: Sometimes I'll ask my 5 or 3 year old to do something for me. They'll say "no." Then I'll say "Let me rephrase this in the form of an *order* not a question..........." Whatever it is then gets done. :D

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
SkaredShtles said:
You should buy him a nice flowery skirt for his b-day. :think: Tell that man to sack up and start delegating military-style.

Edit: Sometimes I'll ask my 5 or 3 year old to do something for me. They'll say "no." Then I'll say "Let me rephrase this in the form of an *order* not a question..........." Whatever it is then gets done. :D

HA! That's just the way my parents would 'rephrase' their requests. Funny stuff now, sucked then.:)

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I am a firm believer of my old man's style of parenting which is this:

"If your teenage kids and wife don't think you are a dictatorial son-of-a-bitch, then you are NOT doing your job as a father right."
I have been reasonably strict on my 12 year old daughter and so far she's kept on track (who knows how long that's going to last) but I can assure you that if she screws up she will be delt with swiftly and very very firmly.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
brungeman said:
Being a teacher gives me some insight as to what kids at H8R's daughters age are doing. He is definately on the right track! Being involved may be the best thing any parent can do. Show the kids that at anytime their actions may be questioned and further "checking up" may occur.

I approve of H8R and his parenting skills.
What he said! While I don't deal with kids, my wife teaches this age group so I get to hear all about it. So many parents just don't give a crap. It is great to hear that H8R does and is doing what it takes to raise a kid right.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
DNA said:
What he said! While I don't deal with kids, my wife teaches this age group so I get to hear all about it. So many parents just don't give a crap. It is great to hear that H8R does and is doing what it takes to raise a kid right.

Agreed!

The last thing a kid of 12-18 years old needs is a parent who is not interested in what their kid is doing at school or at home. A parent needs to be all-up in their teenager's business and ready to deal with whatever situation arises no matter how unpleasent or difficult.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
narlus said:
how does treating the wife work into the 'dictatorial' equation?

Well, in my parent's case, my mom and dad were united together for about 99% of the parenting. My sister and I had no idea there was any division in the other 1%...

My dad would drop by our school once a week and visit with our teachers to see how we were doing in class... there was never any chance of us getting out of doing our homework by saying that we didn't have any. :dead:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
N8 said:
Well, in my parent's case, my mom and dad were united together for about 99% of the parenting. My sister and I had no idea there was any division in the other 1%...
i'd say that's highly collaborative, and not dictatorial by any stretch.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
I have no children, but I have dogs. From time to time I have to run a raid on their toy cache. I am certain they are sneaking & stealing items from around the house. At least they can't use the internet.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Westy said:
Wow.

If my kid said no I would just go ahead and mow the lawn.

All of her belongings would be spread out on the lawn before I started though.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
N8 said:
Agreed!

The last thing a kid of 12-18 years old needs is a parent who is not interested in what their kid is doing at school or at home. A parent needs to be all-up in their teenager's business and ready to deal with whatever situation arises no matter how unpleasent or difficult.

WTF?

N8 and I are on the same page.

:nonono:

(it's the end of the world..)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
BTW - I've started running a few times a week, last night we went running at the local trails.

It's really depressing to find out your kid can out run you like a giraffe.

:(

She's 5'10" at 14, and can easily beat me in a sprint. Damn PE classes.

:mumble:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
H8R said:
BTW - I've started running a few times a week, last night we went running at the local trails.

It's really depressing to find out your kid can out run you like a giraffe.

:(

5'10" at 14!?! What the heck are you feeding her? I was lucky to hit 5 foot nuthin at 14. :p

N8 said:
HAHA!!! Nothing like having a teenager to make you a bit more conservative!!!

:p
Having kids turns you into N8? Now there's good birth control! ;) :p

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
H8R said:

Sheesh, shes one tall girl. Certainly has me by a few inches. I wouldn't worry, in a few years once her PE classes are eliminated by the school for being too competitive and demeaning to the children you will be able to take your rightful place at the front of the pack.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Skedaddles said:

My sister has absolutely no control of her kids. Whenever I have to watch them the first hour is hell but I quickly get them in line. I might not be able to make them do things but when I throw the breakers in the house and put a lock on the fridge leaving them access only to bread and water I get what I want pretty quickly. It is not something I have to deal with daily but when it comes to the occasional battle of will and patience I haven't lost yet.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Ciaran said:
5'10" at 14!?! What the heck are you feeding her? I was lucky to hit 5 foot nuthin at 14. :p
5 foot tall, carries a medieval weapon ... Gimli?

Edit: Dammit! Stinky beat me to to the Tolkein reference.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Ciaran said:
Gruel, dummy. What else?

I'm a tad over 6'3" and her mom is (was?) just shy of 6'.