Quantcast

Random new bike thread

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I only rode Skullfucker once, and it was with Lance and Michelle, so you aren’t too far off. Only a handful of people ever rode that abomination of a trail...picture the Grim Donut being the perfect bike for it.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Isn't there a steel version of that in the latest round of PB reviews?
Yes, there is.
The two halves of the frame are form-lock joint and secured by 3 bolts beside the glue. The designers running the company are actual engineers and manufacturers, so could turn out better than the Finnish industrial designer playing engineer.
But only time will tell.
Definitely looks good though.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Canfield dropped some new kill list machines, but at least they stole an ideal ebike name and put it on a real bike.

Both actually look pretty damn sweet, but $5k for a GX built at "black friday" pricing seems a like way too much, even if they do have plastic rims.
I just ordered the the Lithium frame.

was?

Monkey
Mar 9, 2010
Dresden, Germany
sounds like the steel front iteration was more of a proto test of concept to get things rolling, and the "production" version is full machined alu.
Yeah, more or less this is what happened, but not by choice.
I have an Actofive with the steel frontend, because we live in the same city and it was kind of a deal.
To be honest, the guy who runs Actofive wanted to do a semi-proto run with 20 steel frames on a pre-order basis, but wasn't able to pre-sell them in a justifiable number. Which, considering the price doesn't surprise me at all. And since he would've had to outsource the production of the frontends to a welder and while doing that, spend a lot of money in advance, it was more or less a non starter. In the end, he got some frames completed, but considering the lacking influx of orders couldn't fulfill on the projected 20 frames, out of his own pocket.
The full alloy frame looks nice, is currently his development focus and there will be some kind of product launch someday, though the frame still isn't nowhere near a bargain by any means. For my part, there was a lot of pre purchase rationalising going on.

was?

Monkey
Mar 9, 2010
Dresden, Germany
I don't know, I'm still hiding the frame from my girlfriend and I'm waiting for parts to complete the build, so there's not a lot I can say about my particular bike. I've had a short stint on one of his test riders bikes and it felt pretty comfy, coming from a current Norco Range in large. Regarding the Pinkbike test, I wouldn't put it strictly in the trailbike bracket, which is narrow and obtuse anyway. Short travel enduro, but not banshee-spitfire like, less playfull more planted, still poppy. I can report back thoroughly, once the parts arrive and the initial bonding period is over.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I don't know, I'm still hiding the frame from my girlfriend
Many of us can relate. My new Nimble 9 is still in a box, but mostly because I am lazy. ;)

Thank you for the update, the Actofive looks the tittays. I am happy with my overshocked underwheeled Hightower but a high single pivot with an idler looks very tempting.

Greetings to Dresden btw! I had a chance to visit as a kid a long long long time ago - years before 1989.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Not sure if this has been post, but damn it looks nice!
1607087670881.png

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Not sure if this has been post, but damn it looks nice!
View attachment 153096

That's an Evil™ STA right there...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
What substances (plural) were they on when they thought those colors belonged together on a bike?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
What substances (plural) were they on when they thought those colors belonged together on a bike?
That paint was probably on closeout :P

Very 80s/90s neon. I wouldn't want those on my bike, but they are fun.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
The pinkbike field test pretty much echoes what I've been saying about my V4. Just a really capable allrounder that disappears under me on all day epics without being a drag, but plenty capable when the going gets rough and fun all around. Despite The Industry's™ best efforts, I haven't coveted my neighbour's shiny new superior roll over 29er at all.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I'm really dreaming of these new bikes. Not in my price bracket at all, but they tick all the right boxes for me...

- Nice geo
- Pinion gearbox
- Trigger shifter

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
looks like standard pinion twisters on there, no?

having spent some time on a pinion, i'm kinda meh about these things. twister / doesn't shifter under load / shitty POE / expensive / heavy(er) / not customer serviceable... conventional drivetrains are just so refined right now, gearboxes are a hard sell. and this coming from a super (ex) gearbox nerd.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I'm really dreaming of these new bikes. Not in my price bracket at all, but they tick all the right boxes for me...

- Nice geo
- Pinion gearbox
- Trigger shifter
That thing is ugly!
And they really need to be careful naming a bike M9, otherwise Intense is pulling a Specialized on them.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...

- Nice geo
- Pinion gearbox
- Trigger shifter
Super disappointed they didn't have the sense to market it as: Choose Your ///M
:confused: