Quantcast

Random new bike thread

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
I am so ready to press the pretty, bright, silky, inviting, shiny, voluptuous, candy-like order button on a Privateer 141. Meta TR is also on the shortlist. Neither would be arriving soon. Not that anything is particularly available right now.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Really? Norco Sight, Transition Sentinel, GG Gnarvana, GT Force? Those are all 470+ reach, 1250+ wb, 440+ cs, sub 65 head angle bikes in size large.
They're all more travel and longer than the 141/Meta TR. More comparable to the 161/AM. All good options though. Heaps of my mates are on the new Sights and they're loving them (except the e.13 alloy rims which are a complete joke).

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
They're all more travel and longer than the 141/Meta TR. More comparable to the 161/AM. All good options though. Heaps of my mates are on the new Sights and they're loving them (except the e.13 alloy rims which are a complete joke).
If you're cool with the 435 chainstays on the Meta TR there's the GG Smash. The Reign 29 also checks most of those boxes.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Has anyone here ridden one of their recent frames?
I've only ridden the latest Tyee with 27,5" wheels for one run and it felt very similar to my Nomad 4, which is a very good thing in my eyes - proper planted but still fun to play around on. I really appreciate the customization they offer and they have made a large improvement aesthetically.

Every bike in their current line up, from DH to kids bikes, looks tempting in its own way:
https://www.propain-bikes.com/bikes/

I won't be looking for a new bike for quite a while, but their options would be high on my list if I was.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Greasy test run with the new ride.
Too icy/greasy to tell much, but you can feel the higher anti squat, pedals better than the previous instinct, was really good on rocky ups. It actually feels a little shorter even though the reach #’s are longer, probably due to the STA. Wheelies easier than the ’18 Altitude. Bummed it only has R and C, I will probably get a factory X2 to replace it In order to get HSC/LSC-HSR/LSR...

spes

Chimp
Jun 11, 2008
Lots of good new bikes released. Hard to choose which one to buy. Trek Slash 9.8, Raaw Madonna V2 Factory build or new Stumpjumper Evo Expert are on my radar. Which one You would choose?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Lots of good new bikes released. Hard to choose which one to buy. Trek Slash 9.8, Raaw Madonna V2 Factory build or new Stumpjumper Evo Expert are on my radar. Which one You would choose?
Of those three I'd be tempted by the Slash. A friend has a late model Slash and it's amazing, stock.
The Raaw Madonna V2 looks great on paper, but I've no firsthand knowledge. Can you demo one of those?

spes

Chimp
Jun 11, 2008
I tested new Slash, it's really really good. And my favourite local shop sells Trek and I get quite good deal on it. Raaw looks good in paper and in rewievs. Evo is sold out for this year, might get one in spring. Evo could be the one for me because I have DH-bike for bikepark days...

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
With Trek's record of broken chainstays on those bikes, I'd be willing to look somewhere else... A friend just got a replacement 2020 Slash after breaking the original one in three months of riding, and he is no beast at all... Just saying...
That is still an issue???? :eek:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Both the Raaw and Trek are a bit more bike than the EVO. Although the EVO has more aggressive GEO just less travel. I ended up with an EVO because I was out of money and went used. I bought it and liked the way it rode. The stock shock is absolute dog shit and would get overwhelmed by the abilities of the bike over fast rough terrain almost right away. Then a meth head stole it and destroyed the suspension and I got the bike back 2 days later. My insurance covered suspension and I got a year newer frame. Do you need a complete bike or would you do frame only? I have yet to hear back if they are doing an Aluminum 2021 yet or not but if they did it may be worth a look.

Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 11.46.04 AM.png

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Story? Howd you get it back?

I posted on FaceBook a few different MTB groups and my pages. I friend of a friend spotted the bike about 15 miles south of me. I left work and drove down thereafter he PMd me on FB and was driving slow and trying to spot the guy. He then tells me there were actually 2 of them so I get a bit antsy. I see the bike out front of a 7/11 upside down so I pull my truck over and get my 4 cell Maglite out of the truck.

I am 6'1" and stocky. By this point, I am pissed and was willing to cause bodily harm. I had a description of the thief when it was stolen so I know roughly what he looks like. I grab the bike and notice there are 5-6 people in the store. One guy opens the door and says what the hell are you doing? I look at him and instantly realize this isn't the guy that took it and this is probably his meth dealer. He looked like Skinny Pete but dressed like Jesse Pinkman. I yelled at him This Is My Fucking Bike You Piece Of Shit. Everyone in 7/11 hit the ground.

He was 6'3" and about 170LBS I have a good 50LBS on the dipshit. He hesitated and started reaching for the bike and as I pulled the Maglite back I could tell he realized he was about to die. I am sort of glad it wasn't the theif cause I may have hurt him at least I could have cracked a nose or jaw. I assume he traded the bike for Meth. The cops had an idea who he was but said they couldn't do much since he didn't steal the bike. I looked at them and said so if I buy a McLaren F1 for $500 cash I am in the clear? They didn't like that. At least I got it back ahahah

Last edited:

spes

Chimp
Jun 11, 2008
Both the Raaw and Trek are a bit more bike than the EVO. Although the EVO has more aggressive GEO just less travel. I ended up with an EVO because I was out of money and went used. I bought it and liked the way it rode. The stock shock is absolute dog shit and would get overwhelmed by the abilities of the bike over fast rough terrain almost right away. Then a meth head stole it and destroyed the suspension and I got the bike back 2 days later. My insurance covered suspension and I got a year newer frame. Do you need a complete bike or would you do frame only? I have yet to hear back if they are doing an Aluminum 2021 yet or not but if they did it may be worth a look.

View attachment 151872
Thanks for reply. I know that EVO is more of a trail bike, but I think it could be good because I have Dh-bike too. I need complete bike. I guess that I will buy Slash, I will get so good deal of it. Hope warranty works if chainstays will crack :)

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Yeah, I would do what's cheapest for you. I can get you a link to a deal where I got my frame if you wanted to build a bike.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
This looks like a leading contender for my son next year. We've been happy with my daughters Rocky Mountain Reaper but this comes in cheaper and includes a dropper.
They did such a good job on that bike. Every time I walk by I stop and check it out. I’d like to see one built up for park and a kid ripping Chatel or Whistler on one. The geo looks so good for little people.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
How good are these x-fusion suspensions?
These are obviously the entry line products and therefore don't have all the bells and whistles... not that kids necessarily need it but they are so light that low level of friction / stiction will make for a harsh ride

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Canfield dropped some new kill list machines, but at least they stole an ideal ebike name and put it on a real bike.

Both actually look pretty damn sweet, but $5k for a GX built at "black friday" pricing seems a like way too much, even if they do have plastic rims.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i'd say $3000 for a frame + high end shock and fork is pretty par for the course these days, as much as we might not like it. any wheel build with plastic hoops is gonna be around $1k; all the other stuff will fill in the rest...i don't imagine canfield is large enough/has enough buying power to bring it down much more.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Too bad there's not a raw alum option, and they still look a bit porky. The Tilt may be a good choice for going looow with 27.5 wheels and a 160mm fork. :nerd:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Canfield dropped some new kill list machines, but at least they stole an ideal ebike name and put it on a real bike.

Both actually look pretty damn sweet, but $5k for a GX built at "black friday" pricing seems a like way too much, even if they do have plastic rims.
The Lithium name came from our oldest DH trail still in existence on the top of Teton Pass. There were two others that predated it, Ritalin and Skullfucker. The latter would make a great name for a rowdy bike....