Quantcast

Random new bike thread

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
For sure.
that's obviously not an everyday trail bike, but the park bike market must be strong for Norco to go this route.
I like that this appears to be a legit full DH bike (in long shock mode) that can climb. The Canfield One does it too, but the geometry is questionable to me on that one.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
For sure.
that's obviously not an everyday trail bike, but the park bike market must be strong for Norco to go this route.
yea, don't get me wrong it's a great looking bike. especially if it pedals as well as MK says. just a bit surprised to see that much heft on a bike intended to be able to climb, as it weighs the same as a full on DH bike

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Is there another Norco idler bike in development, or is that the one that's been in the works and discussed for a while?

Bike parks are looking highly unlikely anytime soon.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
There were definitely two different protos spotted in the wild. One was the Shore, the other sure looks like a new Aurum.

They're also not showing a 2021 Range on the site yet, but the Optic and Sight are up. Not sure what (if anything) that means.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
There were definitely two different protos spotted in the wild. One was the Shore, the other sure looks like a new Aurum.

They're also not showing a 2021 Range on the site yet, but the Optic and Sight are up. Not sure what (if anything) that means.
speculation is a revised aurum without that shock link. looking at it again the new linkage reminds me of the spesh demo/enduro.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
yeah, new hp range coming out.

the shore is interesting. it's got aggressive enduro numbers, but small wheels; not really playbike nor racer optimized. feels a bit confused to me? certainly not something i'd care to ride on the shore given the size & heft.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
yeah, new hp range coming out.

the shore is interesting. it's got aggressive enduro numbers, but small wheels; not really playbike nor racer optimized. feels a bit confused to me? certainly not something i'd care to ride on the shore given the size & heft.
it's freeride duh

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Any info on that yet? I haven't seen anything.
Info is coming out on that soon, but it is going to be interesting.
Their riders have been using as a dh race bike. It is looking like
it is going to be a long travel enduro race bike with a HP. So it will
be a 170mm coil rear, 180mm 38 type bike or you could throw a DC on the
front and MAKE PARTY.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Info is coming out on that soon, but it is going to be interesting.
Their riders have been using as a dh race bike. It is looking like
it is going to be a long travel enduro race bike with a HP. So it will
be a 170mm coil rear, 180mm 38 type bike or you could throw a DC on the
front and MAKE PARTY.
:cupidarrow:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Yep, but the slow ass lift lines really suck... the throughput with distanced lifts is insanely inefficient. It's a waste of time and $ for me.

If you are lucky enough to be able to ride park mid-week, it may be feasible. YMMV

Don't have details about all of them out west, but over here on the east, all but one are open*....

*closed now for the season, though.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I took one the new Commencal Meta TRs for a blast over the weekend. Holy shit they've made a good bike. No wonder they sold out all over the place.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
A little hefty or not really noticeable when riding?
Could be lighter I guess but I'd take the hit for it, no questions. Geo is spot on and the general feel of the package is perfect. They're not even that expensive really. I thought Norco did a good job this year with the Sight and Optic, but I think Commencal have ticked the boxes nicely.

i've been on one for a few weeks now; pretty stoked with it.
Bastard. Yeah, I pretty much went home to order one and they're sold out till 2021 over here. Even the AM models are hard to find.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I'd need the XL at 6'2", otherwise I'd be smashing my knees on the cockpit controls. That reach is 60mm longer than my current XL bike :D

My only real criticism is the 370 hubs on the Race model, I'd much rather something better at their OEM pricing even for a minor bump in price.

SRAM geared model preferable so I can change to a grip shifter for fubared right thumb.

Last edited:

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
I am very intrigued by Commencal’s offerings. I really like their design philosophy and business ethic/model. I have scene one of the Metas being used at a DH race in Wales and it did not seem to limiting the rider at all. They do seem to be going the 29er route though and I have not decided if I want move from 27.5. Would really like to test ride one of their Metas (AM or TR). The Clash also looks interesting but I have never figured out exactly where it sits in the line up, compared to the Meat AM with same travel.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
I have a couple of buddies with Metas, one being the Meta AM 29 from a couple of years ago, and another being the Meta AM 275. Both are sweet, and seem to ride quite well. My fastest riding buddy is a podium-level Cat 1 DH racer, and he rides the AM29 and loves it. They are heavy frames, but consequently seem built to last. I will say that the overall quality is on the cheaper side compared to some other more boutique aluminum frames, with things like the paint quality, hardware, frame protection, etc. all being more of a budget affair than some other companies. I would classify the approach as utilitarian rather than cheap, but it's noticeable.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
the current iteration build quality is quite nice, and functional details are fairly refined across the board. it's certainly not optimized for weight, however. lots of metal thrown at these. with a frame weight of 8lbs (no shock) pretty sure the TR is more or less just a short shocked AM, rather than something pared down for a lighter usage mode. weight weenies look elsewhere. should be (hopefully) unkillable tho.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Utilitarian is a good descriptor for the Clash I had, that and sturdy. Fit/finish wasn't on the same level as Knolly or Santa Cruz, or even Devinci or Giant, but better than Rocky Mountain. I wouldn't mind trying the Meta AM 29, it seems to have the geo changes I wanted out of the Clash.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Interesting comments about build quality. Always preferred durability, and I’m ok with the added weight if necessary. Banshee fall into this category and I really like revised Rune and Spitfire. Shorter travel bikes that can be thrashed are fun. Santa Cruz are not increasing Reach for 2021 and I feel they are still slightly short. This makes me restless and just end up window shopping. 1 brake mount later and I have a reason to buy a frame.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
I've got a Clash and a Meta TR, both last years frame models. Like very much!

Both set up as mullets, bought frame only and built up. As noted - not particularly low weight, but solid. If the geometry and fit works for you , they are great deals.

The TR works well as my daily rider, and I've no worries about it taking a beating. With some lite (i'm a little dude and can get away with some of that) bits, but not too terribly skimpy tires it's about 32# and the Clash is about 34#.

If I were to live out west again, the newer TR version would be a great daily ride.

HeadMaster

Chimp
Feb 8, 2019
Have late 2020 (same as 2021) furious in xl and 2021 clash in large.

can’t comment on clash yet as Haven’t ridden it yet, but furious is a great park park, if a little flexy

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I quite like the Privateer 141/161frames as well, but all comments seem to point to them being fairly agricultural as well. Maybe thats a good thing? I'd pay the extra for a nicer/lighter frame with that geo if one existed but AFAIK no one is doing that same combination of numbers just yet.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I quite like the Privateer 141/161frames as well, but all comments seem to point to them being fairly agricultural as well. Maybe thats a good thing? I'd pay the extra for a nicer/lighter frame with that geo if one existed but AFAIK no one is doing that same combination of numbers just yet.
Really? Norco Sight, Transition Sentinel, GG Gnarvana, GT Force? Those are all 470+ reach, 1250+ wb, 440+ cs, sub 65 head angle bikes in size large.