Quantcast

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Your failure is not in knowing if you want to go to St. Lucia or not, but in not realizing you already live in a Banana Republic.
You are not wrong but driving is still 1000x more entertaining over there than in the neutered states of murica. I would go again for that experience alone. :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You are not wrong but driving is still 1000x more entertaining over there than in the neutered states of murica. I would go again for that experience alone. :D
I have only ridden in a shuttle bus on St Lucia and it was terrifying. Actually, my whole time there was terrifying.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Lol, good stories. Yeah, we stayed in a "5*" complex in a hill above Soufriere, nice view of the town beach with the cemetery and all. Same deal with security - armed guard and a recommendation to pay the grounds keeper to avoid trouble. None of the locks was working because apparently that was no deterrent. I rented a car from the local mafia during a cab ride from the airport. The guy also warned me about the most violent individuals in the streets. I loved the local eateries and the street markets. Driving was super crazy though, the craziest I ever experienced. Fast, narrow and twisty, all blind corners, trucks full of people hanging from the sides of the beds, deep rain gutters on both sides of the road, driving on the left and the pavement completely missing in random spots because hurricanes. We gave a lot of rides to american kids working for the peace corps.

View attachment 140463
Ahhhh PITON beer..... swill of the island was sooo good when I was there. We just stayed at our Sandals resorts and didn't have any problems. We did go to the market on the other side of the island and while the people were a little pushy it didn't seem too bad to me..... that was 13yrs ago though....

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
yeah...we only drank likker in st. lucia. i remember thinking the ride from the airport to anse chastanet was "fun"-super dark, bumpy, with bird-sized insects smashing loudly into the windshield every few minutes. wife was slightly more terrified. also, i somewhere still have pics of the spider with the fist-sized body that was lurking by the hot tub at the second place we stayed. they didn't believe us when we first called the front desk, but when they saw it, it even freaked the staff out. good times. :rofl:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
That brings back some memories. We built ramps like that in the 70s. My next door neighbor had a Yamaha full suspension bike like that one. As kids, that was all we did, live on our bikes. There were no video games or computers. For entertainment, you went outside and stayed there until dark. No fear of any harm, shootings, kidnapping, or the wearing of helmets. How did we survive ?

That brings back some memories. We built ramps like that in the 70s. My next door neighbor had a Yamaha full suspension bike like that one. As kids, that was all we did, live on our bikes. There were no video games or computers. For entertainment, you went outside and stayed there until dark. No fear of any harm, shootings, kidnapping, or the wearing of helmets. How did we survive ?
Magnets...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

My mother was terrified that I would be kidnapped so I was never allowed to go anywhere outside of the neighborhood alone.

However I was allowed to run free in the woods to Huck jumps, burn shit, blow shit up, forge swords from scrap metal, fight with said swords, have BB gun fights and fall out of trees.

To be fair my parents had no idea what I was doing out in the woods but they certainly were not worried about it.

If it were not for that time developing survival instincts there is no way I would have survived college and my twenties.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
To be fair my parents had no idea what I was doing out in the woods but they certainly were not worried about it.
I think for must of us who grew up in that fashion, it's a good thing our parents didn't know what we were up to most of the time.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think for must of us who grew up in that fashion, it's a good thing our parents didn't know what we were up to most of the time.
It didn't go over well when I told my parents that the reason I religiously mowed the steep hill in the back yard one year was because I had accidentally burned a good half acre. The only time they went back there was to cut the grass.

It went further sideways when I explained the fire was the result of a home made mortar.

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
However I was allowed to run free in the woods to Huck jumps, burn shit, blow shit up, forge swords from scrap metal, fight with said swords, have BB gun fights and fall out of trees.
I remember BB gun wars. And building underground forts that I’d be terrified to go in today. And of course burning and blowing shit up.