Quantcast

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
as @rideit has often said: "I don't even know what to do with 80 inches in a day"

View attachment 186082
I tried skiing in 8 or 10 feet of Sierra Cement. It was freaking impossible. Probably a lot more manageable now with fat skis, but unless you were on double-black slopes upwards of 40 degrees, it was shit back in the day trying to ski that stuff.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
^^^^ Cornice chair and chair 4 at Kirkwood on an epic powder day
Some of that upper is steep enough, most of the lower isn't. Thunder Saddle area was a lot better, although it was possible around Kirkwood to get some light drier snow when the snow levels were crazy low.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I tried skiing in 8 or 10 feet of Sierra Cement. It was freaking impossible. Probably a lot more manageable now with fat skis, but unless you were on double-black slopes upwards of 40 degrees, it was shit back in the day trying to ski that stuff.
This stuff is cold.

Especially since it will likely be white rain.
Not with highs in the 20s it won't

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
How do sleds manage in snow like that these days? I know they are much better, but is there an upper limit (aside from Avy danger?)
Just depends on density. I've legit been able to go up a relatively flat road in 6ft of not quite blower, definitely not cement. Any slope, fugettaboutit. To be honest, the older low, wide designs float better. They just didn't have the track length modern ones do.

That's one of the joys of owning one though. It's still fun when it's straight up too sloppy and deep and skin up anything and expect to be able get anywhere.

I had to run my mouth. It's 35 degrees and raining now at lake level. Good job weather service! :rofl: