Quantcast

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Australians love their country.
Aussie Aussie Aussie, deadshit deadshit deadshit.
331798705989460858.jpg

This was a lookout ~25yrs back, now it's just an illegal dumping ground.

Saw this one earlier in the week, somebody stole the earth cable-
4052389138311635638.jpg

On my ride today I was picking up fishing lure packets and fishing line before it dropped in to the channel below.
I'm starting to think I need to make a bike trailer to do some garbage runs, shit's getting out of hand.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
What's even more disturbing is that it's clearly not a hardtail but can't see if you are still hacking it though!
Yeah I got the shits with it, four freehub failures this year so I just needed a change.
But the Hadley let out an almighty bang yesterday so it will need to be disassembeld and inspected.

Yes I am still a hack, I could swap to Ardents and not notice a change in cornering grip.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Yeah I got the shits with it, four freehub failures this year so I just needed a change.
But the Hadley let out an almighty bang yesterday so it will need to be disassembeld and inspected.

Yes I am still a hack, I could swap to Ardents and not notice a change in cornering grip.
how is this happening?! 4 freehub failures?!

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
how is this happening?! 4 freehub failures?!
Novatec Premium snapped and chipped pawls twice.
QVIST took the top of most of the ratchet teeth after a few days, then it just failed because of stupid design, the whole freehub assembly relies on a push on cap that has an O-Ring that barely slots in to a groove.

-6541345373843615025.jpg

These bits should not be inside the hub shell, they should be attached to the freehub body.
I'll see what's up with the Hadley tomorrow, I assumed it was over greased from new as it slipped a bit then got better.
But in the last couple of days it has made some noises.

I had a freehub fail ~six years ago, but I think that was partly my fault, said that to Syntace but they still sent me new fits for free.
It was a bloody impressive hub for how light it was, like 20% lighter than a Hope and had preload adjust.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Novatec Premium snapped and chipped pawls twice.
QVIST took the top of most of the ratchet teeth after a few days, then it just failed because of stupid design, the whole freehub assembly relies on a push on cap that has an O-Ring that barely slots in to a groove.

View attachment 219032
These bits should not be inside the hub shell, they should be attached to the freehub body.
I'll see what's up with the Hadley tomorrow, I assumed it was over greased from new as it slipped a bit then got better.
But in the last couple of days it has made some noises.

I had a freehub fail ~six years ago, but I think that was partly my fault, said that to Syntace but they still sent me new fits for free.
It was a bloody impressive hub for how light it was, like 20% lighter than a Hope and had preload adjust.
I wonder if there's excessive flex in the rear triangle, so the hub/axle aren't supported squarely and that's pulling the hub out of alignment to damage the mechanisms?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I wonder if there's excessive flex in the rear triangle, so the hub/axle aren't supported squarely and that's pulling the hub out of alignment to damage the mechanisms?
I checked alignment on the Norco, I thought that maybe when I bolt it up tight it loads the axle up, but it's all good and the frame is pretty damn stiff in the back end.
Both hubs were just shit, the Novatec wasn't pressed together properly.

The Hadley has only been on the dual suspension frame, but I would think a Hadley rear hub could realign a small country if the need arose. It slipped mostly under light load early on but yesterday was the first time it has made a proper bang. Still didn't sound as impressive as the pawls snapping in the Novatec, that was rad!