Quantcast

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
SkaredShtles' shill-detector just went off.

:D
pffhhhh, like I could afford that....I'd have to have a contest..... No, just demo rider that contacted me on the inra-web asking for a test ride. There are a few more surfacing and will be more when I do my west coast swing in Dec.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Hey Everyone,

Tantrum Cycles Kickstarter has been a roaring success, nearly 99% funded with 5 weeks to go. But I want to double it!

To kick it off, I created, wait for it...the ORTHOdontist Special...the frame isn't carbon, but the rest of the bike is!. Light, fast, wicked and expensive...

but take a look at the CYBER monday deal on our kickstarter, so low, it's almost like getting the frame for free.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/812273700/tantrum-cycles-the-missing-link-in-full-suspension

thanks again to all our backers and supporters. There will be additional deals posted on Kickstarter throught the day, including upgrades for existing backers. Help me rock this thing!!

By the way, in addition to Richard Cunnningham's review here:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-ride-tantrum-missing-link.html

and Zach Overholt's here:

https://www.bikerumor.com/2016/11/03/tantrum-cycles-goes-live-first-look-and-first-ride-of-outburst-and-meltdown-prototypes/#comment-3190720

There are some reviews from our demo rides surfacing:

http://forums.mtbr.com/all-mountain/tantrum-cycles-ride-review-missing-link-does-impossible-1027665.html

They are all starting to sound similar.....

cheers,

Brian

Axa

PETTY CORPORATE SHILL
Sep 4, 2016
Hemsedal, Norway
Im amazed this thread suddenly went so quiet considering how much heat and commitment its been generating.
Is it due to an unusually good start of the ski season? Not much snow to brag about around here yet. But it's dumping like crazy out west..

Seems like every new review is unison in that the Tantrum Missing Link are delivering what it's promised to do.
So what do you gentlemen think now about the progress after additional positive reviews from decently credible sourced like Bike rumor and Vital done by pros, and also several demoride reviews..

7 days left to get on the train and Brian have added som additional interesting options like the "friend referral program" Any backer can save $200 to split with whoever is referred to order a frame or complete bike.
And I would guess the $200 can get you a custom paint job for both frames if you fancy that and can agree to get the same custom color.. (Correct me if I'm wrong on that assumption!)

Since I certainly consider anyone smart enough to see the potential in Tantrum to be my friend, Im more then happy to aid in refering.. Just send me a PM!!
Well who could afford to turn anyone down for $100 in these holidays of commercialization hahaha...

Merry Christmas to all of you. And may your snow dump deep and stay soft well inn to the New year!

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Aluminium is not the future of big dollar bikes... Hundreds may be sold but thousands need to be sold year on year in order to become more than an expensive novelty. How big is the market for such high dollar aluminium frames? Anyhow its not the design that I find objectionable... Its the brand.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Im amazed this thread suddenly went so quiet considering how much heat and commitment its been generating.
Is it due to an unusually good start of the ski season? Not much snow to brag about around here yet. But it's dumping like crazy out west..

Seems like every new review is unison in that the Tantrum Missing Link are delivering what it's promised to do.
So what do you gentlemen think now about the progress after additional positive reviews from decently credible sourced like Bike rumor and Vital done by pros, and also several demoride reviews..

7 days left to get on the train and Brian have added som additional interesting options like the "friend referral program" Any backer can save $200 to split with whoever is referred to order a frame or complete bike.
And I would guess the $200 can get you a custom paint job for both frames if you fancy that and can agree to get the same custom color.. (Correct me if I'm wrong on that assumption!)

Since I certainly consider anyone smart enough to see the potential in Tantrum to be my friend, Im more then happy to aid in refering.. Just send me a PM!!
Well who could afford to turn anyone down for $100 in these holidays of commercialization hahaha...

Merry Christmas to all of you. And may your snow dump deep and stay soft well inn to the New year!
Lol, you his boyfriend or something? :rolleyes:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Most of the issues voiced in this thread are around the suspension rate, specifically that it would be harsh off the top then soft in the middle of the stroke. Based on the Vital review it seems like that's exactly what the tester felt. Sounds like a promising design otherwise; just update the leverage rate on the next iteration.

Vital Review - 3.5 out of 5

"Setting the bike up and bouncing on the saddle, I was met with the suspension feel typical of a bike equipped with a low-volume air shock from a few of years ago - stiff off the top, a soft transition/mid-stroke, and a good deal of ramp right at the bottom. Given the improvement in shock and frame design over the past three to four years it wasn't the best first impression, but I kept an open mind and off we went."

"In most instances you get the sense that you're on a lighter bike with a low perceived weight, though it felt a bit mushy when pressing into turns and pumping compressions. While coasting, outright suspension performance wasn't quite on par with current market leaders, lacking that supremely supple, capable, "I can do no wrong" feeling. "

"Provided Tantrum is able to dial in the many minor but important details required of a solid bike, I see the company's lineup as viable contenders in the marketplace with good potential to improve their overall rating."

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Looks like tantrum edited his tantrum out of his previous post about wanting to go through the and disprove all of the RM tantrum critics. :rolleyes:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Most of the issues voiced in this thread are around the suspension rate, specifically that it would be harsh off the top then soft in the middle of the stroke. Based on the Vital review it seems like that's exactly what the tester felt. Sounds like a promising design otherwise; just update the leverage rate on the next iteration.

Vital Review - 3.5 out of 5

"Setting the bike up and bouncing on the saddle, I was met with the suspension feel typical of a bike equipped with a low-volume air shock from a few of years ago - stiff off the top, a soft transition/mid-stroke, and a good deal of ramp right at the bottom. Given the improvement in shock and frame design over the past three to four years it wasn't the best first impression, but I kept an open mind and off we went."

"In most instances you get the sense that you're on a lighter bike with a low perceived weight, though it felt a bit mushy when pressing into turns and pumping compressions. While coasting, outright suspension performance wasn't quite on par with current market leaders, lacking that supremely supple, capable, "I can do no wrong" feeling. "

"Provided Tantrum is able to dial in the many minor but important details required of a solid bike, I see the company's lineup as viable contenders in the marketplace with good potential to improve their overall rating."

So to summarize, actual ride review confirms most critiques and concerns posted in this thread. Ridemonkey e-engineering program should be ABET accredited.

Last edited:

Axa

PETTY CORPORATE SHILL
Sep 4, 2016
Hemsedal, Norway
Almost on cue, I just received a 2017 X-fusion 02 pro RCX shock to test from X-fusion. My thanks to all at X-fusion for their help.

This shock has a 4 position compression damping adjuster. No lockout, no descend mode. A shock developed by Brian Lopes. And it's MUCH better than the 2016 version.

in p1, it's too soft. much of the undesirable characteristics people are describing in the "descend" mode of competing shocks. A little too active and plungy. Not great support when loading the suspension. Maybe a little wallowy.

P2 takes that all away. The feeling of underdamped, worn out shock is gone. Still plush over small and large, just less prone to overreacting and sinking in. Good support when loaded.

P3, still good. A slightly firmer ride. More support when pumping, but maybe a little too much.

P4, too stiff everywhere. Ridable, but not optimum.

This is pretty good. At 185 pounds, I'm pretty close to the middle range of rider weight (and probably skill), so the fact that the middle two settings work is good. The leaves the lower 2 for light riders and the upper 2 for heavier riders. The CD adjuster does not invoke any pedaling platform or excessive LSC, so it doesn't become harsh in small stuff.

30% sag at about 170 psi, no bottoming. All around, pretty sweet.
Any idea how far away a comparison of the DVO Topaz is?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Is there a rule against multiple accounts? @Sandwich

"Axa" and "Aye" are both just Tantrum Cycles (Brian) which is plainly obvious to anyone who checked out those accounts when they were registered. Axa has been going through disliking my posts in this thread today (along with others posts who said anything against Brian), but I noticed both accounts earlier - just thought it'd be wise to live and let live instead of beating a dead horse. Unfortunately it would seem the horse isn't dead.

I think an admin should step in and delete his array of fake accounts, and consider banning if he keeps making duplicate accounts. Ridemonkey between its banter is a good center of technical discussion for an international audience and the last thing it needs (in my opinion) is a one-man-army of retardation diluting its waters.

The fact that the fradulence is so obvious speaks volumes about the company, but to anyone who could read curves of spring / squat / leverage, these are volumes which have already been read. :)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I support an investigation of whether Axa is Brian. Same account went through and "rated" my earlier posts. Of course, it is possible that a strange guy has strange friends, I suppose.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
easy there, witch hunters. don your tinfoil hats; they are not the same people.

I believe that we are collectively not stupid enough to believe that some random poster who likes a bike will completely change our opinions of its design and implementation. It's obnoxious, but it's not really wrong.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
It's pretty easy to register and post from a different location / IP.

I really don't have a problem with the guy or the bike (which is why I politely ejected from this discussion) but now I'm getting notifications full of incentive. You're not doing yourself any favours here @Tantrum Cycles.

If your bike is so great, do what every other manufacturer does and let it sell itself.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I spent last night with my family and loved ones. Axa spent his Christmas night going through this whole thread disliking every post from random dudes on the internet. Probably a good time to make some major life decisions perhaps? New year, new you little buddy!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
It's pretty easy to register and post from a different location / IP.

I really don't have a problem with the guy or the bike (which is why I politely ejected from this discussion) but now I'm getting notifications full of incentive. You're not doing yourself any favours here @Tantrum Cycles.

If your bike is so great, do what every other manufacturer does and let it sell itself.

while I agree that the forum subterfuge is not a way to sell bikes, none of brian's nor axa's IPs line up. All of axa's IPs are from a foreign country, and they line up with his recent enduro post. He may be a troll, but I find it hard to believe that anything fishy is going on.

Aye has 2 posts, both of them are the same and his IP lines up in location, but not number with a single IP from brian. I'm guessing he did a test ride and posted his results. he hasn't posted since.

I really wouldn't worry about this all that much.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
while I agree that the forum subterfuge is not a way to sell bikes, none of brian's nor axa's IPs line up. All of axa's IPs are from a foreign country, and they line up with his recent enduro post. He may be a troll, but I find it hard to believe that anything fishy is going on.

Aye has 2 posts, both of them are the same and his IP lines up with a single IP from brian. I'm guessing he did a test ride and posted his results. he hasn't posted since.

TanTrump has Russian hackers working for him.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada

Aye has 2 posts, both of them are the same and his IP lines up with a single IP from brian. I'm guessing he did a test ride and posted his results. he hasn't posted since.

meh, too easy to do, just use a VPN and BAM! - you can be from anywhere, click a box, and shazam, you are now coming from teh other side of the planet....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I spent last night with my family and loved ones. Axa spent his Christmas night going through this whole thread disliking every post from random dudes on the internet. Probably a good time to make some major life decisions perhaps? New year, new you little buddy!
Could be worse. Some people watch bowl games.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
meh, too easy to do, just use a VPN and BAM! - you can be from anywhere, click a box, and shazam, you are now coming from teh other side of the planet....
yeah, that's how you sell bikes! Defend your leverage rate by arguing with forum nerds by signing into a vpn based out of norway, fake an IP address, sign on at different dates, write in an entirely different style, compliment your own bike, buy one via a kickstarter, then tell everybody how great it is.

Sheesh. Anybody who is dumb enough to compliment their own bike isn't smart enough to go through all that. Honestly, if dude wanted to do all that, he wouldn't get as far as he has, and I admit I'm impressed his kickstarter has taken off.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
yeah, that's how you sell bikes! Defend your leverage rate by arguing with forum nerds by signing into a vpn based out of norway, fake an IP address, sign on at different dates, write in an entirely different style, compliment your own bike, buy one via a kickstarter, then tell everybody how great it is.

Sheesh. Anybody who is dumb enough to compliment their own bike isn't smart enough to go through all that. Honestly, if dude wanted to do all that, he wouldn't get as far as he has, and I admit I'm impressed his kickstarter has taken off.

Didn't say they were troll accounts.
Just pointed out that IP address means nothing anymore.
Joe and Jane Suburb have been playing the VPN game to beat netflix et al. for years now.
The whole VPN thing is no longer the domain of us Network Engineers / Admins and takes no technical knowledge anymore, just click za button.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am

There is a mega famous metalsmith who did just that kind of stuff to promote his work. Even taught classes in underhanded marketing.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Anybody who is dumb enough to compliment their own bike isn't smart enough to go through all that. Honestly, if dude wanted to do all that, he wouldn't get as far as he has, and I admit I'm impressed his kickstarter has taken off.
I dunno, he is kind of a savant. I exclude nothing. :D

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
I support an investigation of whether Axa is Brian.
Paranoia will destroy ya. You guys are freakin hilarious. You're worried about alternate identities and you haven't even figured out that I can post comments under each of your names that are viseable to everyone but you.

too much fun

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Looks like tantrum edited his tantrum out of his previous post about wanting to go through the and disprove all of the RM tantrum critics. :rolleyes:
Hey 4130, while you're being so sure of your yourself, you might refer to the actual thread that i posted my comment in, thew Kickstarter thread. My comment stands:

"It would be fun to run through all of the monkey's predictions of doom and gloom some day. All of the evils predicted that never came close to materializing, but I have better things to do".

But I do have better things to do, which is why I programmed my ridemonkey bot clones to drag it all back up and post it under your names, so I don't have to take the time. hmmmm, seems to be working.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Aluminium is not the future of big dollar bikes... Hundreds may be sold but thousands need to be sold year on year in order to become more than an expensive novelty. How big is the market for such high dollar aluminium frames?
You are right, but i would like to bring affordable aluminum back. I'm not worried about selling thousands at this point. Hundreds of sales are fine. And carbon will come.