Quantcast

Santa Cruz Launches "Lightest & Strongest" DH Bike

Tomasz

Monkey
Jul 18, 2012
Whistla
Full year earlier than I had expected! Awesome.

Pretty sure the Trek 9.9 is a half pound lighter, so not lightest.

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Session is claimed 7.2lbs versus 7.9lbs claimed for the v10.5; both with RC4 & Coils.

My experience with my own v10c and knock/squeeze tests is that the v10 sounds/feels like its solid (literally) where the 9.9 sounds like a plastic soda can, and the Carbon Fury you can acutally see and feel flex shoul you squeeze the seatstays or mainframe.

I conced being an SC 'Whore' but its well earned -- and the fact that its still on price par with top alu compared to Spec and Trek's ludicrous pricing (4000, 4400) plus the insane warranty and replacement program -- SC for the wiiiiiiiiiiin.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Nuff said - "• Five-year warranty and lifetime crash replacement"

They're going to sell those as fast as they can make them.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
Session is claimed 7.2lbs versus 7.9lbs claimed for the v10.5; both with RC4 & Coils.

My experience with my own v10c and knock/squeeze tests is that the v10 sounds/feels like its solid (literally) where the 9.9 sounds like a plastic soda can, and the Carbon Fury you can acutally see and feel flex shoul you squeeze the seatstays or mainframe.

I conced being an SC 'Whore' but its well earned -- and the fact that its still on price par with top alu compared to Spec and Trek's ludicrous pricing (4000, 4400) plus the insane warranty and replacement program -- SC for the wiiiiiiiiiiin.
Regardless of the feel and flex of the two frames, I hate santa cruz's stupid ****ing marketing claims. It is not the lightest dh frame on the market or ever, why are they claiming this?

Also with regards to strength, it's the strongest frame ever in what respect? headtube shearing? impact resistance? is there a quantitative formula at which they achieved such results? did they really test all forms of strength recognition against the WilsonC, DemoC, Session 9.9, Antidote lifelineC, ect, ect? I call bull **** as well.

I just hate santa cruz and their marketing BS, same thing as vpp and when they proclaimed their "S" curved wheel path was the be all end all, same as when they originally released the v10c and said that the gains of a carbon rear swing arm weren't worth the associated potential weight loss and cost. Same as when they were proud to have U.S made frames and now are pretty well if not completely all made in asia. Same as when they bashed new standards are being unnecessary and now use a 157mm rear end. Same as when they claimed axle path doesn't matter on a bike after they determined their "S" curve was actually bull ****. Just like when Joe bashed the idea of floating shocks and then said "maybe" to them having a tangible reason for existence.

Santa Cruz along with Specialized just really piss me off on their flip flopping opinions and marketing propaganda. Yes i'm jaded because both companies are extremely hard to deal with from a shops perspective as well.

God damn it SC is worse than Mitt Romney

Last edited:

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
^ i hear what you're saying, but critically thinking / cynical people such as yourself are a small minority; this type of media content is gleefully gobbled up by the consumer majority hoard without question.

that said, the hard stats provided - rock solid warranty & ~2lb weight savings - should excite pretty much everyone. burly 8lb (with coil) dh frames? amazing. i remember all the carbon naysayers just a few years ago...

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
In regards to SC's marketing claims, I don't see any real difference than what almost every other large frame manufacturer does. Transition being a notable exception with their "Cock & Balls" technology :thumb:

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
^ i hear what you're saying, but critically thinking / cynical people such as yourself are a small minority; this type of media content is gleefully gobbled up by the consumer majority hoard without question.

that said, the hard stats provided - rock solid warranty & ~2lb weight savings - should excite pretty much everyone. burly 8lb (with coil) dh frames? amazing. i remember all the carbon naysayers just a few years ago...
I have no problem with what the frame actually is, i'm just tired of their blatantly false marketing claims instead of using a qualitative reasoning for gains, such as other companies do when they say "XXX% stronger or stiffer than the previous model"

Kinda below the belt, no? Saying things you think are sort of clever don't make them true.
That wasn't a comment meant to say i hate Romney and santa cruz, but more so the similarities in them saying one thing one year and then jumping onto the total opposite opinion within a couple seasons or two...

Also your sig makes your butt-hurt invalid to me

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i'm just tired of their blatantly false marketing claims instead of using a qualitative reasoning for gains, such as other companies do when they say "XXX% stronger or stiffer than the previous model"
just because they didnt post their calculations on its strengths doesnt mean its not true....but it could also be their lightest and strongest DH frame and if so, theyd be 100% correct and youd be a silly goose

joeg

I have some obvious biases
Jul 20, 2011
Santa Cruz CA
Tetreault, your little picture seems to reflect your posting style.

The marketing claims are quite significant - and its pretty hard to get into more detail in a 2 minute video that will hold the attention span of people skipping work. I'll attempt to explain two of them for you:

The frame that some people have pointed to as being lighter, I bought and weighed six weeks ago. It weighed 8.2 lbs with a 450# spring. It was tested in two of our impact tests. One simulates a rider dropping onto the saddle, the other where the fork gets impacted toward the BB.
We have a considerable bank of other frame testing data that I've been collecting over the years - and I'm confident in the claim. This is my job after all, I spend a lot of time on this. Prove me wrong and I'll eat crow.

If you have a lighter production DH bike, lets see it. I'll buy it so I can learn. If you send me a frame to test that you think will beat the V10 in any loading scenario - I will test it and post results.
We did our due diligence with these claims.

As far as my b!tching about new standards goes: I still hate 'em! But if we made a 135 QR DH bike, nobody would buy it (and it would suck). Doesn't mean I can't dislike all the new standards man, its a real pain in the ass. But the V10 uses the same der hanger as all our other bikes now, which was not the case before, so thats a really cool thing for us. It was actually one of the considerations that we weighed when considering whether or not to go 157.
Its still a threaded BB, IS disk tabs, ISCG05, a stock shock size, 1.5 HT, and lots of other boring shlt.

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Oh cmon, who cares about the semantics of the marketing seriously? What about every manufacturer who claims their bike is the "fastest" or "best" or "fully active"? MTB marketing has been full of **** from day one, and now we're clutching at this straw?

Its seem like that in lieu of a valid (or even a decent, crazy invalid) argument about the design, material, colour, price, geo or specification, RM is now concentrating on marketing definitions.

Owennn

Monkey
Mar 10, 2009
Its seem like that in lieu of a valid (or even a decent, crazy invalid) argument about the design, material, colour, price, geo or specification, RM is now concentrating on marketing definitions.
Ok ok, how's this then. In the vital video they talk about saving a stack of weight from the rear triangle but then they (Santa Cruz) bang on a heavy hub (157mm wide with cassette) and a derailleur. Wheres the gearbox to really save weight from the rear?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Drool-city.

Sick bike; you guys are tards.

IMHO the current state of DH bikes is (and has been for a couple years) a glut of awesomeness, and other than price, there's not much to complain about.

Also, everything related to SC Bikes has always been sick, including their continued growth in the marketplace.

I ride a TR (and a Blur4X).

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
But wait! 135 is the same as 157, it's just 15mm narrower, then 7 more mm narrower for not having those little axle notch thingies.:brows:

Last edited:

joeg

I have some obvious biases
Jul 20, 2011
Santa Cruz CA
you guys make it hard for anybody legit to post - you ran DW out of the building with your bucking and your evils always break complaints. I imagine roskopp walking into my office any day and telling me to quit it because you a$$holes turn everything around. it is funny though.

I do wonder, though, if anyone has started a program where all forum posts are analyzed real-time and the best/most annoying responses are formulated automatically. All of the resulting scenarios of where the thread might go from there are calculated based on baiting analyses done on all users posts in all threads previously. The original algorithm might have been susceptible to confusion and malfunction by terms such as "moar", "root beer", and "buck". The program would create thousands of usernames on forums globally that bulk up post counts by posting useless and baseless comments - along with other internet site "editorials" that are built using content aggregation (similiar to rockyroads) to build an online "profile" so legit that actual humans would think its legitimate. This is a world where its hard to know what profiles are real people anymore and which are controlled by warring factions and supercomputers.
I imagine kidwoo as the matt damon of this futurescape (not as articulate though).

matt damon

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
you guys make it hard for anybody legit to post - you ran DW out of the building with your bucking and your evils always break complaints. I imagine roskopp walking into my office any day and telling me to quit it because you a$$holes turn everything around. it is funny though.

I do wonder, though, if anyone has started a program where all forum posts are analyzed real-time and the best/most annoying responses are formulated automatically. All of the resulting scenarios of where the thread might go from there are calculated based on baiting analyses done on all users posts in all threads previously. The original algorithm might have been susceptible to confusion and malfunction by terms such as "moar", "root beer", and "buck". The program would create thousands of usernames on forums globally that bulk up post counts by posting useless and baseless comments - along with other internet site "editorials" that are built using content aggregation (similiar to rockyroads) to build an online "profile" so legit that actual humans would think its legitimate. This is a world where its hard to know what profiles are real people anymore and which are controlled by warring factions and supercomputers.
I imagine kidwoo as the matt damon of this futurescape (not as articulate though).

matt damon
The bike looks killer I like it want to give it a go at somepoint.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The program would create thousands of usernames on forums globally that bulk up post counts by posting useless and baseless comments - along with other internet site "editorials" that are built using content aggregation (similiar to rockyroads) to build an online "profile" so legit that actual humans would think its legitimate. This is a world where its hard to know what profiles are real people anymore and which are controlled by warring factions and supercomputers.
Such an algorithm exists.

It can be found here

http://www.pinkbike.com/u/RichardCunningham/blog/

People think that thing is actually alive!

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
When I worked for magnaflow and was on the vw forums I had kids all the time telling me we were stupid for building 2.25" systems for the 2 liter and vr6 gti/jetta's and that 2.5" would make way more power. They acted like we just bought whatever tubing home depot had and built whatever we could, and not that we had a 50,000 sq foot R&D center with 2 dynos that we tested all options. It's funny eurotuner once did an exhaust shootout and we beat all the 2.25/2.5 and 3" kits on the market with our 2.25" kit. The forum engineers still argued that we did it wrong.

Then they'd say how when they turbo their vr the kit wont make any power. ok guy.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
you guys make it hard for anybody legit to post - you ran DW out of the building with your bucking and your evils always break complaints. I imagine roskopp walking into my office any day and telling me to quit it because you a$$holes turn everything around. it is funny though. .....
Funny you mention DW. He used this forum as marketing tool (actually so much that this was known as DWmonkey) and when it didn't work out as well anymore because people called BS on some of his claims he left. Guerilla marketing in forums is a double-edged sword. ;)

Funny you mention DW. He used this forum as marketing tool (actually so much that this was known as DWmonkey) and when it didn't work out as well anymore because people called BS on some of his claims he left. Guerilla marketing in forums is a double-edged sword. ;)
Yeah, one edge is backed by technical experience and engineering credentials, and the other is internet bravado and pseudo-knowledge.

A shame imho DW left, let's not drive other SMEs out too because of your need to brandish your huge internet penis.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah because relatively simple physics and chassis handling design = marketing.

Having seen one of his frames measured accurately, in-person, on a jig (by a completely unrelated third party), and then inspected the resulting curves for axle path, L/R, and antisquat - I'm sorry to break it to you but it did exactly what it said on the box.