Quantcast

Snowshoe 2021

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Among other things, she didn't even try to show any compassion for Myriam both times she crashed in the finals.
I figured that was the result of her crashing out of the first two world cups. She said in an interview that in juniors she never really crashed so she was getting used to that. I'm betting she was feeling like she got robbed and someone told her "that's racing"

I think Minaar once said "don't celebrate until the run is done"
That part though did seem a little unsportswomen like... I figure chalk it up to being only 19.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I think Minaar once said "don't celebrate until the run is done"
And I remember Warner on the hotseat at a British national loudly piss himself laughing at his own brother (last man down) decking it within sight of the finish.

I don't actually see anything wrong with the rider in the hotseat celebrating their win as soon as they realise the last rider down isn't going to beat their time so long as the last rider hasn't been hurt.
I get why Minnaar said that but If the last rider down had a mechanical near the start that meant they were going have to walk down the entire course would he really still wait until they finally got to the finish 20 minutes later?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
And I remember Warner on the hotseat at a British national loudly piss himself laughing at his own brother (last man down) decking it within sight of the finish.

I don't actually see anything wrong with the rider in the hotseat celebrating their win as soon as they realise the last rider down isn't going to beat their time so long as the last rider hasn't been hurt.
I get why Minnaar said that but If the last rider down had a mechanical near the start that meant they were going have to walk down the entire course would he really still wait until they finally got to the finish 20 minutes later?
If you're walking down, your run IS done.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If you're walking down, your run IS done.

Could also save you from looking like a douche. I certainly didn't think Reece could have walked back 1.5 seconds in that last bike park section in race 1. Not sure what technology they use for splits, but it certainly not official. I think it is transducer based which isn't super accurate.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Could also save you from looking like a douche. I certainly didn't think Reece could have walked back 1.5 seconds in that last bike park section in race 1. Not sure what technology they use for splits, but it certainly not official. I think it is transducer based which isn't super accurate.
Those stats certainly pique my mind. I believe it's pretty much BS, as with that on screen graph with the distance separating two riders.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
from what i could tell the other ladies were definitely chill towards vali. watch the last few runs of the women's race at the finish line. tahnees running around hugging everyone. siegenthaler and others are all doing similar. you can see the camaraderie and warmth. didn't really get that sense w/vali. maybe it's all the hype she came in with. maybe she comes off as a bit bratty? but yeah, she's young and i bet a lot of young riders coming up have a bit of an attitude.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
just watched wyntv finals. looks like daprela and gwin have started a bit of a bromance. gwin's contract at intense is up. #teamrumours2022

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
but take a cue from the other elites - the reaction to her winning was pretty icy and it seems she's not making a ton of friends.
I don't know what you've seen but I noticed a few different things. I was wondering if my memories fooled me and rewatched both races.

At at the first race Tahnee was joking with her when she sat down on the box after her run, Camille was giving her a big hug when PomPon crashed, went through the last split and even more so when Myriam arrived at the finish. All but icy.

At the second race when she arrived at the finish area first Thanee, then Mille and Nina congratulated and gave her a hug. After Myriam arrived at the finish Nina, Camille, Emilie, Mille, (Canyon Lady I don't know) all cheered her up and hugged her joyfully. The only ones icy were the two french ladies which I also can fully understand. It's emotional after all.

What was a "different" reaction than what we are used to was her getting up and taking some steps around at the finish area when Myriam crashed in the flat right hander and crouching hiding her face. She couln't believe what just happened winning her second elite race and a consecutive one too. But who is to blame for such an emotional gesture after all the pressure she had during the last 18 months. She was hyped all the way.

And one thing to be added - we only see fractions of the riders at the finish area. Most of the time it's the riding we see and want to see. One would have to be right there to get a wider picture about what's happening down there.

Last edited:

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Lopes can also jump through trees. Pretty much the same thing as the Snowshoe gap, right?

Also trying to be the best at exercising:

(And Pauline Ferrand Prevot appears to be single again, go after it dudes)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Lopes can also jump through trees. Pretty much the same thing as the Snowshoe gap, right?

Also trying to be the best at exercising:

(And Pauline Ferrand Prevot appears to be single again, go after it dudes)
lopes does crossfit

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Having ridden and raced there a lot, I can tell you when it is dry at Snowshoe, the underneath dirt is hard and there is a thin layer of loose shit that will put you on your can for sure. In general, Snowshoe is a big fast mountain. High speed most of the way down. The way they have it for the World Cup, they link together all the difficult rock gardens, and some of those tricky bits is where it is flat. If I had to guess on injuries and mechanicals, it would be because the racers know they need lots of speed to carry momentum through those sections, so they are entering them at mach looney speeds and writing checks they can't cash. Makes for awesome racing but sketch for sure.
No real opinion on the right vs wrong of the course but it was fucking awesome to watch and the racers I talked with were unanimous in liking the track and enjoying the fans and their time at the Shoe. My crew and I hiked up and down the course numerous times after qualies, practice sessions and races. As those that have ridden there know, the camera makes all that stuff look so much smoother and flatter than it is in real life. It was mostly hardpack covered with powdery dust and/or marble sized pebbles. Lots was blown out with what looks like a berm is really covered with 6+ inch rocks and roots and holes that you don't even see watching remotely. Many of the dry rocks triangular are still quite slick and can dump your wheel to either side in a semi-random fashion. The pace those guys and gals were carrying there was incomprehensible to pretty much everyone spectating and the level of commitment and precision required to get through so many treacherous sections at danger fast pace (and while fatigued as hell) is just unbelievable even for someone like me who thinks WC pros hale from another plane of existence. It was interesting to me that folks were dumping it in many different sections of the track--not like there was only one or two key bits that caught people out. The whole course was a Kenny Loggins Danger Zone IMO.

I'm drowning in work stuff but will do a photo dump recount later if anyone is interested.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Here's the crazy shit. Race line in red. Those rocks are like 2 feet tall and move around. This is right before where Bernard kissed that big rock. We looked at this and couldn't really even understand how anyone thought it was a reasonable plan in the first place.

241439786_10105897518807128_3062896060641131595_n.jpg

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Here's the crazy shit. Race line in red. Those rocks are like 2 feet tall and move around. This is right before where Bernard kissed that big rock. We looked at this and couldn't really even understand how anyone thought it was a reasonable plan in the first place.

View attachment 165134
Alternatively, this would be my "race line" (provided I was still alive by this point)