Quantcast

So is anyone freaking out about hurricane Irene?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
A record high temperature of 110 degrees was set at Wacko today. This
breaks the old record of 106 set in 1990. This is only 2 degrees
shy of Wacko's all time high temperature of 112... which occurred on
August 11,1969.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
My relatives from Montreal are all on Cape Cod. You should be fine up there. However if you're on the Cape you now have 5 reasons to get out of there. Only 1 of them being Irene.... My Brother is hoping for a direct hit....
Do tell. Only been there once... early aprill... pretty empty & nice.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Do tell. Only been there once... early aprill... pretty empty & nice.
Right now the beaches are packed with Families trying to get a week of sun before the kiddies head back to school. The Cape is awesome any other time then now. The next town over from my Brothers is awesome any time, Chatham is the Cape for me. I love it there. My Brothers town not so much....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Was on the western edge of the 'cane. Went for a MTB this morning. At elevation things were pretty intense. Mountains protected us from most of the rain, felt like I could look down on the swirling winds and clouds. Best crap weather ride ever.

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Well it seems that Irene will have no impact on the monkey's desire to ride, drink, or post on the internet, so cheers east coast

Xoxo
The west coast :)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So far not much besides a few downed branches, but we've only gotten the prelude so far, not the actual storm:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
One of the 4 lane roads on my route to work this morning was completely blocked by a large downed tree. I channeled my inner SUV and drove my Honda Fit over the curb, sidewalk, and into the parking lot to avoid the obstacle. Only as I was doing it did I realize the utility pole holding up the power lines was also partially down, with the power lines a mere 10 feet above me.

Whoops. No harm, no foul, right?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Trees are waving about and a few large ones have fallen. I came across one and then one of my attendings called me just a few minutes ago to report that a large tree blocking his cul de sac fell only a few feet ahead of his car. Yikes. He's now stuck at home without power.

Very uneventful video I shot of waving trees far below my 18th floor perch (top inhabited floor at the hospital--I usually hang out on the 2nd floor, not nearly as exciting): https://plus.google.com/115479414905422234350/posts/SbsjG6SUopc

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
It's 1pm and I just woke up. Waffle time!

EDIT - the rain has washed away a bit of the mulch I spread last week. NOOOOO.

Last edited:

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Has DC been obliterated yet?

I'm recovering from last night still, so turning on the news doesn't have much appeal.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
We lost power for around a minute or so just before 6 am. The eye of Irene passed directly over us before it was downgraded to TS. Nearby towns with crappy power grids always lose power - I think they've been out since around 11 last night...

The earthen dam the army corp of engineers built almost broke. Road will be closed a long time: