Quantcast

So....Pinkbike is going to be monetised...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I actually tried to sign up for Beta and get put in some endless payment loop which made me scrap the whole thing. There is some content I'd like to read, have a couple friends who are contributors and Ryan Palmer is always entertaining to me. Pinkbike on the other hand...

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
i’ve never heard of a single issue of beta being delivered, I know a few people who had subscriptions for more than a year, and nothing arrived.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I've been handed Beta copies by an employee, but dunno about subs.

I'm sure it doesn't help that the new CEO and the rest of the Outside C-suite / leadership have no experience in publishing, journalism, mountain bikes or any other related fields.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I still think this one from 2006 was one of the best:

The whole Pinkbike website turned pink with unicorns and butterflies in order to help bringing more girls into mountain biking.

Last edited:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
That pink looks better than what's there now!

Also, it's kinda cool that the founder sold Pinkbike in 2021 with a website design from the early 2000s... props to him.

I still think this one from 2006 was one of the best:

The whole Pinkbike website turned pink with unicorns and butterflies in order to help bringing more girls into mountain biking.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Shots fired! :)

"We’re actually not thinking of this as a paywall though, and neither should you. Think of it as an opportunity for you to be more involved in our content - by paying for it. For that privilege we now think of you as team members. We're on the same team, only you’re paying to be team members, and we’ll be paid team members."
:D

Last edited:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Fairly certain Beta is done w/ but Pinkbike isn't going to tell anyone. Lot's of social posting about it over the weekend. I will be getting my Beta subscription money back one way or another. Really wanted to support it as I enjoyed the content very much.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Acquisition all the things, numbers are up, things are great, moar moar moar.....

...let's cutout a bunch of staff.

Okay then.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Fairly certain Beta is done w/ but Pinkbike isn't going to tell anyone. Lot's of social posting about it over the weekend. I will be getting my Beta subscription money back one way or another. Really wanted to support it as I enjoyed the content very much.
i posted this elsewhere, but PB canned their XC fantasy league and kept it quiet. after a few weeks of people roasting them in the comments, a mod finally admitted it wasn't happening, and cited "lack of sponsorship prizes"

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
PB has way more growth potential than the Outside brand, imho. Normal-type growth for a niche brand in a niche industry that is never going to be MMA or the NFL, that is.

Hopefully that VC turd doesn't tank the whole thing this year. Of course he (and his management team of non-riders) will give himself a golden parachute, then move on to another sector or brand to ruin.

Last edited:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Just a quick update on pinkbike/beta in regards to refunds. I purchased a year of beta access about a month before they announced they were closing up shop. Sent a few customer service requests asking to be refunded. Completely ignored. Reported to my credit card and had my money back in a couple days. F you outside.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Amazing how fast it went from paywall, to porous paywall to back to normal. Much excitement for absolutely nothing in the end. Hope it was worth it.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Beta's not listed anymore with the other brands on PB:

Screen Shot 2022-06-16 at 7.24.10 PM.png

Standalone site is still active but no new posts since May 20th. They should come back to Bike Ridemonkey and re-re-start over.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
They referenced it finally the other day on their podcast in a weird way. Apparently they are going to try to do 'something' for folks but didn't say what. It would have been nice if they would have been transparent and told their members that. This was the only 'pay' content I have signed up for on the internet and it was really to get the beta physical mag. I learned my lesson, won't be doing it again.

The real sadness in all of this is they dropped Ryan Palmer. One of my favorites in the industry, 'Palmers Peeves' were always great to read.