Quantcast

southeast photo thread

Bloch

Chimp
Jul 29, 2002
GA
Yes, the jumps are in GA just outside of Lawrenceville. I didnt realize the pictures were so dark. They looked much better on my personal computer then I got to work and saw how dark they were. I have a bunch more I will lighten up and post up later.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I have the same camera with the same problem. My pics are always dark as hell and need to be lightened up. I guess I need to take a class or something. Maybe Highrevs university. :lighten:

meatboot

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Chapel Hell
A few shots from Wilson's this weekend. Photos are by Tom Byrant and stolen off www.trianglemtb.com.

Jackalope following Dogboy

Jackalope on his Santa Cruz Shortcut(tm)

Yours Truly

A pitiful attempt at some sweet synchronized freeriding

And some super dark phots from Jackalope

Dogboy again

Our intrepid photog Tom Byrant

highrevs

Monkey
Oct 13, 2005
NC
I have the same camera with the same problem. My pics are always dark as hell and need to be lightened up. I guess I need to take a class or something. Maybe Highrevs university. :lighten:
At Highrevs Tech. tuition can be pretty steep… just kidding I still have too much to learn to try and be a teacher. I can try and help by passing on what I have learned though.

Exposure is almost always somewhat of a sacrifice. To gain details in the shadows you loose some details in the highlights or vise versa. If you are using a program/auto exposure mode, the camera is prolly exposing to keep from blowing out the highlights. (that’s what my Nikon stuff does) When in the woods and shooting wide angle, you’re mostly in the shadows, so exposing for the highlights leaves lots of “underexposed” shadows (hence the dark images).

Try doing a little reading about exposures and start using the manual exposure setting. You can look back at you EXIF data to see what settings worked in what conditions. There will be a learning curve and you’ll end up with some freaky exposures, but in the long run it will benefit your images.

Using flash can really make things pop in some situations. In my opinion the best uses of flash is when it goes unnoticed and understanding exposure is a must to use flash well.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Man I thought you said tuition was steep...not free. :monkeydance:

Thanks for the advice there. I definitely should be reading and studying photography a lot more but time is definitely something I don't have. Anyway, I will certainly heed your advice starting with the Snowshoe race this weekend. Thanks!

Jan 21, 2006
Boone, NC
To the 2 guys using Rebel XT's, I have a normal 6 MP Rebel from a few years ago and I was getting the same problem with dark pictures from far away. I shoot Tv mode with usually a 125/160/200 shutter speed WITH flash. Since it's just a pop up flash, you have to be pretty close to make it effective, but when you get close the pictures come out great.
I shot this yesterday, and I was less than 10 feet away with my flash on. It's very dark in these woods so it's hard to get a perfectly bright picture.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
well, i FINALLY made it out to wilsons creek this weekend thanks to an invite from psychobiker and jeffkill :thumb: the family was out of town and i had just gotten back from a week in florida for work so it was a welcome getaway. wow! those trails were a blast and really tested my DH skills (bust mostly my climbing skills from the 3.5 mile climb from the bottom of greenhorn?? to the top of beehive)
we shuttled headley's (sp??) a couple of times and had a blast. one of the locals showed me around the actual wilsons creek river area for a place to bring the family for some water fun.

anyway, we only stopped once for pics and it was over this fun little kicker that boots you over a log. the pics don't look impressive at all but it was fun for sure :thumb:

jeffkill w/ some style

i forgot his name but he was really cool

psychobiker a bit blurry (he rode too close behind jeffkill for my camera to reset)

yours truly with a non-blurry pic w/ no style

and again with a small tweak but out of focus (curse of the sasquatch yet again ;) ) i had to use my crappy old sony since my wife had my good camera w/ her

thanks to jeffkill and psychobiker for letting me tag along, i'll definitely be back :thumb:

edit: 10 cool points to whoever can figure out what movie my shirt came from :D

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
well since its been awhile since i have contributed any pics to this thread figured i would give you guys a few from our ride last sunday. ohh and this was my first run with a set of clipless pedals and i have to say that im converted.
ME

BOEHM

VINCE

excellent day for some shreddage and we even meet some pretty cool guys from ohio. so all in all an excellent day of ridding.