Quantcast

Specialized Demo 8 Carbon

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
You like Sam's new bike therefore you are a fanboy! Wellcome to ridemonkey ;)

btw. Kinda nice to see them doing a new bike though I wonder if they do it because it will really have some advantages over the demo or only to drop the Fr fame that goes along with the name on all pinkbike forums ;)
eh, maybe...... i rode a sunday for 3 seasons and always ride in TLD pants, so i have qualified as a fan boy long time ago:)

back on topic, coming from a demo 9 i do not like the demos from 08 to 10 at all, but the new one has something that attractes me

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
why are you idiots still discussing wether it's ALu or Carbon.

Let's just close this chapter.

1. It's been stated by people actually in Maribor that the bike is infact NOT carbon.
2. There are video's where Peaty and Greg are at the spesh booth joking about saying "i dont know what the big deal is, it's not even carbon"
3. There are visible welds.

So, can some of you mouth breathers just stop and talk about something else entirely.
I just read 106 posts of crap, blackholios post should be moved to number two so other people don't read 100+ posts of poop.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
Does anyone know if the new Demo has radically different geometry from the 2010 version?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
anyone seen any details of the new bike yet? Fraser said he was going to post a write-up after the race. I haven't seen anything on PB, here or Transcend (or the Specialized site, but I wasn't expecting anything there)

numerik

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
It's nice, it's low, compact, has same shock "extensions" to arm as SX trail or Stumpjumper. Center of gravity seemed really low. And with black forks it looked stealth ;)

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
anyone seen any details of the new bike yet? Fraser said he was going to post a write-up after the race. I haven't seen anything on PB, here or Transcend (or the Specialized site, but I wasn't expecting anything there)
I saw Fraser and another photographer in the Monster S pits, so they should have closeup fotos, but the question is if the are allowed to publish them now or have to wait...

In reality the bike does not look like a first stage proto IMO, everything looks pretty dialed and it s not all black, it allready has a black grey color scheme on it.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
True, but if they have in fact been testing it they way RS described surely they could test a practice run, no?

. . . but the updated v10 and demo are also fairly new to the riders so maybe more testing first before they try the air shock; one change at a time. Who knows.

Back to the 'ol air shock discussion... just saw this clip of Sick Mick at 2:03 in this video here: World Cup dh 2010 #1 - Maribor - qualifying on Vimeo

He was rolling down on what surely looked like it could have been a blown shock?

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
they do the cleaning by the book: don't use the power washer on the bearings.....

it looks so much better than the actual demo. 2011 will have some really awesome bikes coming up...

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Specialized hired a new tire designer about three years ago. The Storm was new last summer and there is a new tire or two in the works. Granted there are only a few factories to get tires made, but there is a lot that goes into producing a tire.

However I found the Storms to be a little more predictable on the rocks than the Wet Screams. In the mud they were indistinguishable to me. Every race I did last year, save two, was on cut down Storms.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I saw Fraser and another photographer in the Monster S pits, so they should have closeup fotos, but the question is if the are allowed to publish them now or have to wait...

In reality the bike does not look like a first stage proto IMO, everything looks pretty dialed and it s not all black, it allready has a black grey color scheme on it.
I work for Monster / Specialized so I tend to be there a lot. ;) There are photos, they are not allowed out to the public.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I work for Monster / Specialized so I tend to be there a lot. ;) There are photos, they are not allowed out to the public.
Good thing, I hear it's just a prototype. Now hurry up and release them to the ridemonkey engineers to we can tell specialized where exactly we think the frame will flex and how they can save more weight before the next WC race!

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
Good thing, I hear it's just a prototype. Now hurry up and release them to the ridemonkey engineers to we can tell specialized where exactly we think the frame will flex and how they can save more weight before the next WC race!
And also of course the deathly steep headangle and that the shock looks like it might need moar sh................

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
Haha. It's a normal Demo 8, in CARBON. LITERALLY. It looks like they made it carbon just for the sake of making it carbon. Are they just lazy or by coincedence the aluminum front triangle design just so happens to also be optimal for carbon?
That big downtube, in carbon, looks scary. Didn't they make the tubes on the V10c smaller for a good reason? And the "seatpost" area looks real blocky too. And that downtube looks like it would still have interference issues with some dual crowns and all single crowns. The seat tube brace looks like it was a copy paste from the aluminum design too. Isn't a huge advantage of carbon the ability to make just about any shape in design, and with the Demo having tons of awkward tube shapes it would seem for a good place to have some creative carbon construction. I was expecting moar! I don't think they even made the upper link carbon!

Lazy big-S engineers. Must be the trend these days with the trek taking just about the exact same design of the session and dipping it into a carbon mold. Carbon for the sake of carbon-ness!

Last edited: