Quantcast

Super Clean Gearbox out of NZ

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I think it's a neat concept, and brushed up it would make a great trailbike, but I think, as it sits, it's meant for going down.
You nailed it, very slack all around. Still looks like a joy to pedal compared to the mini. I don't think there are many options for seat tube placement with the shock and hub where they are.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
I might be the only dissenting turd here, but the AM bike just doesn't do it for me like the DH bike. Maybe as a mini DH bike it'll work great, but I feel like it'll really suffer as an XC sled...and yes, and AM bike has to do both.

The chainstays already look pretty long. They'll only get longer under sag. The seatpost angle is way back. Finally, the pivot is really pretty high for an AM bike. All of these things are fine for DH, but when you also have to go up, they're going to suck.

I think it's a neat concept, and brushed up it would make a great trailbike, but I think, as it sits, it's meant for going down.
At the risk of putting my opinion out there without consulting those who are actually building these things or officially 'in the know';

These guys live and ride in Rotorua NZ where the trails are fast, steep and pretty technical. An AM trail there might be considered a DH trail in some other parts. These guys are also ridiculously fit, so riding one of these up a major fire road would probably not be a problem for them.

Both James and Rob have built multiple bikes of this nature before they decided to go "Zerode" and commercialize the project.

They are building bikes THEY want to ride in places WHERE they ride.

It just so happens that that AM bike looks like it wold rip in places like the Alps.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
oh cool. design a bike and commercialize it, but don't market it to sell? are you mental?

items for sale are designed to sell. Maybe they're going through all this work to sell 30 bikes to their 30 friends who ride only in their area, then they'll quit. Do you really think that?

I hadn't even heard they were producing the AM bike, and I'm sure they'll sell out because nobody else has been smart enough to even try, but come on. The idea of designing a bike for one specific trail is an extremely limited point of view.

Now if it's a "mini-dh" bike, or used as such, then fine. But as an AM bike meant for going up and down? really? Just because these dudes can climb and ride in one specific section of the world, they're going to design and sell bikes for that? I'm sure they're your boys and all, but that's pretty narrow minded.

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
Nup, they're so anti-hype that they refuse to release any information at all. In fact at this stage we're not even sure how many wheels it has :)
Soooo hipster-like!
They're pretty obscure numbers, but you probably never heard of them anyways. :rofl:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
oh cool. design a bike and commercialize it, but don't market it to sell? are you mental?

items for sale are designed to sell. Maybe they're going through all this work to sell 30 bikes to their 30 friends who ride only in their area, then they'll quit. Do you really think that?

I hadn't even heard they were producing the AM bike, and I'm sure they'll sell out because nobody else has been smart enough to even try, but come on. The idea of designing a bike for one specific trail is an extremely limited point of view.

Now if it's a "mini-dh" bike, or used as such, then fine. But as an AM bike meant for going up and down? really? Just because these dudes can climb and ride in one specific section of the world, they're going to design and sell bikes for that? I'm sure they're your boys and all, but that's pretty narrow minded.
this23

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
sorry, i've got a wicked stick up my @$$ today.

dem guise is free to do whatever they want, I just won't buy one. The DH bike on the other hand...

of course, this forum is about discussing bikes...so dissing people for discussing bikes is kind of f*cked up, isn't it?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
exactly. and in that regard it looks perfect - to me. climbing is just a means to an end - ripping down the hill. something relatively light at ~6" travel is going to go up in an adequately expeditious manner regardless of a slack h/a, etc. granted, something like this (if it ever goes into production) is never going to be a high volume unit by virtue of the gearbox platform - the additional weight & expense would be a tough sell in this market segment.

anyways, it's a one-off personal ride. it is what it is. i'm sure rob likes it.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I'm with Xy9ine here. Trail bikes for me are just good, and efficient enough to get to the good parts that are generally down, or fast. That's what I'm after. Slap a big fork with easy, and quick travel adjust on the front, and it'll climb like a goat anyways.
They made it to suit them and Rotorua, doesn't mean it's not still the best compramise(key words) for most other people and places.
Wish it was made of steel, then it'd be perfect.
I'm keen.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I agree with Sandwich. I have much smaller expectations in case of trailbikes. I dont need an extra fancy trailbike frame. Just good geo/sizing + decent durability and Im happy.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand

^ you need to relax a little.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
sorry, i've got a wicked stick up my @$$ today.

dem guise is free to do whatever they want, I just won't buy one. The DH bike on the other hand...

of course, this forum is about discussing bikes...so dissing people for discussing bikes is kind of f*cked up, isn't it?
^ I see you have relaxed. This is good. As you were.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
wasn't skidmurf, was the other dude...but the problem was on my end not his.

the guys clearly know their tech and both bikes are rad...i just wouldn't use either for a dedicated trailbike...but mini and macro DH, shure.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
see this is the thing, if you were building bikes, you'd build them to suit your tastes, wouldn't you? Not only that, but these guys haven't talked about this bike, they've not told you what it's supposed to be, or not be. They haven't asked for anybodies opinion, because they're building what they want to be building....but then the usual blowhards that like to hear themselves vomit garbage all over the internet come on and start tearing it apart, before anyone knows **** about it no less, trying to tell them what they should be doing different, to suit your tastes....get over yourselves, you aren't as important as you think you are.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand

Sheesh, someones got their panties in a twist.

1. There has been no marketing of the frame to date, only internet discussion.
2. I am not mental.
3. No, I don't believe they only building 30 to sell to their mates
4. The idea of them designing a bike for one specific trail was never suggested by me. I suggested the geo/style of AM bike is most likely a result of where they ride. I suppose its quite feasible that there might be similar terrain elsewhere on the planet but who knows. I heard everywhere else was flat.
5. Like I said, I don't really know these people at all (a few introductions) so they're certainly not my "boys".
6. Exactly who is being narrow minded?

And as FlipFanstasia said "if you were building bikes, you'd build them to suit your tastes, wouldn't you?"

Anyhow, I'm just trying to wind you up some more.....:rant: Cause it just seems so easy to do ;)

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Another shot of the all-mountain version:

Is there actually any "official"mention of the all mountain bike being built? The one in the pics is the same old one, personal ride, not new factory built.
I think the focus will be on the DH bike first and foremost.
I'm in the queue if they do do a trail bike but, love it.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
This AM ver. is made of CF or there is something wrong with my eyes ? : )

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
This AM ver. is made of CF or there is something wrong with my eyes ? : )
Yeah it's carbon fiber, it's one of the Zero founders personal bikes. There's never been a mention of this carbon fiber trail bike being manufactured to my knowledge.
Found this digging on a local forum.

Apparently (again from the local forum) both DH and AM frames will be released at the same time and will be limited to 30 frames a piece.

With luck hitting the market 'in two weeks'.
Can we see the link to this article. Seems the whole trail bike myth grew from this comment.
If this is it? http://www.vorb.org.nz/zerode-t107161-30.html No real mention of a trail bike being made there.

Last edited:

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
Yeah it's carbon fiber, it's one of the Zero founders personal bikes. There's never been a mention of this carbon fiber trail bike being manufactured to my knowledge.

Can we see the link to this article. Seems the whole trail bike myth grew from this comment.
If this is it? http://www.vorb.org.nz/zerode-t107161-30.html No real mention of a trail bike being made there.
I'll have a hunt for the forum link when I get home. You're right, there has been no official word but what does this read like?

Dh bike happening, Will start sending updates out again soon. Just had to change manufacturer. Sorted now, making good progress.

DH First

Trail after

No I wasn't terrified in the first post. just mud in my eye....

And does that look like a finished product or what?

Rob's prior personal bikes were carbon and looked nowhere close to as how 'finished' this one does. Sure they were nice but this looks production ready to me.....they just need to up-spec the saddle.

Last edited:

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Rob's prior personal bikes were carbon and looked nowhere close to as how 'finished' this one does. Sure they were nice but this looks production ready to me.....they just need to up-spec the saddle.
Exactly ! IIRC his previous bikes were made by aplying layers of CF on positive mold. IMHO this one is made by using negative molds, prepregs and bladder = production ver (maybe i'm wrong, but i'm like 90% sure). Negative molds made of steel/alu are too expencive for making 1 frame.

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
Exactly ! IIRC his previous bikes were made by aplying layers of CF on positive mold. IMHO this one is made by using negative molds, prepregs and bladder = production ver (maybe i'm wrong, but i'm like 90% sure). Negative molds made of steel/alu are too expencive for making 1 frame.
I agree, it does look like that.

Let's just hope both bikes go forward.

Alu (for now) DH, and a full carbon AM.

Full carbon DH in 2013?

Zerode is 100% my top dream rig, and I really hope they make it all work.

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
I'm not able to say if this mainframe was made in negative or on positive mold, because I saw several frames made on positive mold at home that almost looked like a professional product.
- I wonder if this frame is compatible with both Speedhub and Alfine, as there obviously is Alfine hub.
- why the swing arm is not out of CF but Alu ?
- why would they let someone take a foto if it shall be a production ready prototype after years of not providing almost any fotos or information?

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
- I wonder if this frame is compatible with both Speedhub and Alfine, as there obviously is Alfine hub.
- why the swing arm is not out of CF but Alu ?
With no background knowledge I would have to guess that it'll be compatible with any 135mm geared hub. You'd just have to make a different cog to mount on the spoke flange.

Even Santa Cruz isn't making a CF rear end right off the bat. Too many small spindly sections and tough angles. Too many things to change and dial in before you make a mold. A frame is generally one big section and easier to wrap. Also, CF doesn't handle abrasion well. Chainslap would not be a welcome thing on a structural tube. I'd want to wrap it in aramid.

Last edited: