Quantcast

Tacticool / carry every day

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
My BM 527 is back in my pocket... carried it for over a decade, paid $55 off Craigslist for it. I have tried many knives in its place yet it always finds its way back.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I have to google a lot of the words in this thread. Holy shit I’m pretty sure a Karambit should be totally illegal in a sensible country.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
That’s DHGate, a Chinese dropshipper. Customs will simply confiscate things that are illegal here, happens to people trying to buy bongs all the time (vapes are OK tho… :D. ) You just get a letter saying we confiscated your shit apparently.
I just read about it and you could probably own one but if you were ever caught with it out an about or used it for the intended purpose you would be arrested for sure. Our offensive weapons laws are basically about intent (so a hunting knife would be OK on the farm but would get you arrested downtown), but also some stuff is outright banned:

FC70393E-CB28-4B96-961C-14FEAB3031E5.jpeg

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I could totally have a machete to decapitate my chickens. That’d be fine, even in the burbs.
If you get caught with an Axe in your tool kit. Not only will they let you take it with you. You also get to skip the part where you get bracelets and a ride downtown. Mostly. Certain exceptions may apply.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
My BM 527 is back in my pocket... carried it for over a decade, paid $55 off Craigslist for it. I have tried many knives in its place yet it always finds its way back.
I find BenchMade overpriced and underwhelming as a whole. HOWEVER...I have had a few, and they have never let me down, and amortizing $55 over a decade indicates a pretty fair value for your $$.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I think I have this one or a Stanley one like it, it folds and was 'murican made.
1656930921676.png

We aren't allowed to carry knives in public so it lives in my tool bag.
I do need some wad punches so if anyone knows of decent ones of them I'm all ears.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Lots of virtue signaling and not enough knives in this thread. Here's my recent acquisition that fits every day duties really well. CPM 154 flat ground 3/32 slicer with a tapered tang that gives it great balance. Small enough to fit in a pocket sheath and reasonably light. Life's too short for generics.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Christmas time is here, let's get festive! :butcher:
Here are three new-to-me users: Sargent Edged Tools PKD in O1, Gossman Deer Creek in O1, Wenger Vigtig in Nitro-V.

The SET is sooooo nice albeit not in original scales, I am on a hunt for another vintage piece. Here it is with a natural finishing stone that's a bit too coarse for my straights so I use it with knives, Shohonyama Ohira Karasu.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Those look pretty cool, your a fan of the puukko eh? I've got a 1971 Gerber MK2 en route. I'm pretty excited to get my paws on this Vietnam era tool. It's one of the early thick L6 pieces, not the thinner ones they made later.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Knives are cool. When I was a kid someone lent me knife and then it was stolen. Some subconcious yearning to find that knife has sent me down a path of collecting and sustained interest.
I've loved knives as long as I can remember. When I was 3, I used to carry around a Play Doh Swiss army knife that we had like it was the real thing.

Been carrying a blade of some sort every place legally allowed since.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
What’s kinda boring life do you live where there’s not a ton of cool stuff to cut up on a daily basis?

What kind of boring life does someone have when the only things they cut can be done with a $200+ knife? I like cheap knives because I fuckem-up good and fast. What's the point of a knife if you aren't willing to stab it into dirt to cut dandelion roots, cut up dirty rugs or pry gold teeth from jawbones?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
What kind of boring life does someone have when the only things they cut can be done with a $200+ knife? I like cheap knives because I fuckem-up good and fast. What's the point of a knife if you aren't willing to stab it into dirt to cut dandelion roots, cut up dirty rugs or pry gold teeth from jawbones?
I do that kinda stuff with my $200 knives, and more importantly I look good doing it.

Seriously though, I don’t look good doing anything, but I started carrying good knives because they outlast cheap ones. My $40-50 knives would hold an edge for a couple weeks and totally break down after 6-7 months. The lock itself on Benchmades is worth the money if you’re really stabbing the shit out of a meth zombie

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I do that kinda stuff with my $200 knives, and more importantly I look good doing it.

Seriously though, I don’t look good doing anything, but I started carrying good knives because they outlast cheap ones. My $40-50 knives would hold an edge for a couple weeks and totally break down after 6-7 months. The lock itself on Benchmades is worth the money if you’re really stabbing the shit out of a meth zombie

I got a nice Benchmade from the company store with company "reward points". The handle broke when I accidentally dropped it. Benchmade did replace it for free including shipping. The lock mechanism is fun to play with and it is pretty looking but as a knife it doesn't function any better than a $60 one I bought 10 years ago that is eventually going to be retired from getting sharpened so much. although that $60 knife showed up with crappy bevels that took a bit of work to get right.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I got a nice Benchmade from the company store with company "reward points". The handle broke when I accidentally dropped it. Benchmade did replace it for free including shipping. The lock mechanism is fun to play with and it is pretty looking but as a knife it doesn't function any better than a $60 one I bought 10 years ago that is eventually going to be retired from getting sharpened so much. although that $60 knife showed up with crappy bevels that took a bit of work to get right.
What model BM was it? They've been making some cheaper knives lately IMO.

I like the Benchmade's from 10-20 years ago the best.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
What model BM was it? They've been making some cheaper knives lately IMO.

I like the Benchmade's from 10-20 years ago the best.

Mini Crooked River, not a cheap one. The toughened wood isn't particularly tough. Actually it looked like the resin didn't fully penetrate on the scale that broke.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Mini Crooked River, not a cheap one. The toughened wood isn't particularly tough. Actually it looked like the resin didn't fully penetrate on the scale that broke.
Yeah the Crooked River series are a little fancy for my taste. I wouldn't spend my money on one but would accept one as a gift and then flip it for a knife I appreciated more...

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I’ve got problems. This is most of my benchmades, I have a couple of bugouts in olive drab as well. The others are just some out of the collection. The trench knife is an original.
65155266-F8E8-44A3-90CF-89E18AB98B21.jpeg
3641D925-E5E3-45C5-B856-4F70C6A02BF8.jpeg

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I've been carrying Benchmade since I was 18. Others have tried to dethrone BM but they never last. I'll see if I can get mine together for a group photo.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Likewise, it just works!

That 485 always looked like a good gentlemans knife to me - something I'd wear to a wedding or with dress clothes. I don't wear dress clothes every decade though.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Likewise, it just works!

That 485 always looked like a good gentlemans knife to me - something I'd wear to a wedding or with dress clothes. I don't wear dress clothes every decade though.
Ms junkyard gave it to me for just that purpose.

I like to dress nice sometimes. But the secret is to go to the thrift store and buy a blazer/sport coat. You can wear it with jeans and it can be wrinkled and dirty, people will treat you nicer and better. Old ladies will compliment you and people will take any bullshit you say more seriously. Wear one out to dinner with the wife. People will treat you all better, soon the wife will dress nice too, and the kids. One time a black dude told me I looked sharp. Most of them I have are super comfy. One I got is felted wool and I love it, pretty warm and never wrinkles.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
In the last 3 weeks I have lost both of my good knives. I really miss the Kershaw. It was so handy. Always sharp. Easy to handle. I found it stuck into a picnic bench in watkins glen. I had it forever. Now I don't. It was my go-to stabby knife. Now when I am feeling stabby I internalize it. It's not healthy. All this pent-up rage. It's not good. I think I have seasonal effective disorder. Waffles should be way more accessible.

Last edited: