Quantcast

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Huh ? thats a Size 0 Andersen power pole, its what APC uses in there 30A/220V UPS's ( which is you ever need any ofthose connectors I have quite a few in my Basement )
oh, well it didnt look like that in the pic. and unless he had a lithium system in it, that would be overkill no?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Powerpoles are pretty common in the e-bike world. I used one--probably not that size--on my e-bike between the 48V battery (nominally, more like 55V in reality) and 35A controller. That's almost 2 kW, and I never had a problem with the connector heating up or anything like that.

splat

Nam I am
Powerpoles are pretty common in the e-bike world. I used one--probably not that size--on my e-bike between the 48V battery (nominally, more like 55V in reality) and 35A controller. That's almost 2 kW, and I never had a problem with the connector heating up or anything like that.
Powerpoles are pretty common in any High Current battery application and you can order them from Mcmaster carr!

http://www.mcmaster.com/#battery-connectors/=b9zhym

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Nice find.

The problem is known as the energy rebound effect. While there’s no doubt that fuel-efficient cars burn less gasoline per mile, the lower cost at the pump tends to encourage extra driving. There’s also an indirect rebound effect as drivers use the money they save on gasoline to buy other things that produce greenhouse emissions, like new electronic gadgets or vacation trips on fuel-burning planes.
In short, life takes energy. Take this thought process far enough and you get my futility of the Prius thread.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I like the article and the expanded perspective on human consumption and energy efficiency but do not agree with all the conclusions. I would not drive more with a more fuel efficient car. I do not wash more with a more energy efficient washing machine. In Denmark they use the taxation approach as mentioned in the article.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I wonder if VW has made more of the Jetta available as it was difficult to find any last year.
im guessing youre referring to the TDi Jetta? they still are hard to come by at dealers since once they come in, they seem to go out the door right away. we looked at last year's Jetta Sportwagen TDi and it was fantastic, especially with their DSG. i did have a hard time buying another VW product though, after our Audi was in the shop for electrical problems (go fig) numerous times.
the new Jetta is absolutely hideous too

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

Deliveries of the North American-market Tesla Model S are scheduled to begin in the mid-2012. The first 1,000 vehicles peeled off the assembly line will be Signature Series cars, which means they're fitted with 300-mile range batteries and identifying options. Once the Signature Series run has been sold, Tesla will continue to produce 300-mile range cars while optional 230-mile and 160-mile Model S sedans will follow later in the year.

The base 160-mile range Tesla Model S will start at $57,000, but a $7,500 tax credit will cut that price to $49,500. Stepping up to the 230-mile range Model S will add $10,000 to the bottom line. The range-topping 300-mile Model S adds $20,000 to the base price. Tesla plans to produce 5,000 units in 2012 before going full-tilt in 2013 with a 20,000 vehicle production run.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
looks like the Bulli actually might make it into production
What did you think of Volkswagen's Bulli concept, which was just shown for the first time at the 2011 Geneva Motor Show? VW is apparently hoping you liked it, because rumor (via Autocar in the UK) has it that it's going into production. The concept version is powered by a 113-horsepower electric motor and a lithium-ion battery pack, which can reportedly be charged in less than an hour. We don't know if the electric powertrain will make it into the production vehicle (our guess would be no, but who knows?), and there is no word on pricing. Still, how cool would it be to once again see a modern Volkswagen Microbus prowling the streets of America? The mind reels at the possibility

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
My wife actually wants a Prius v, and I think it wouldn't be a bad vehicle for her at all if she chose to go down that route: We like how Toyota HSD hybrids drive in general, more rear seat legroom and a non-split rear window are both nice things (although the normal Prius has 36" of rear legroom already), it'll have the requisite tech gadgets available and then some (LED headlamps are particularly cool), and it's proven to be reliable.
I looked up a photo of the Prius v's interior today, thinking that it'd be very similar to the 3rd gen (2010+) regular Prius's layout. Sadly it's not, and it's actually pretty outrageously ugly.

I am not amused. WTF, Toyota…

2nd gen Prius dashboard, which we like:

3rd gen Prius dashboard, which we don't like quite as much (jutty center console invading elbow room, cheaper textures, and busier "heads up display"):

Monstrosity of the Prius v's dashboard. I don't even know where to start to describe how it's many steps backwards…

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
interesting note on our "dirty" fuel
Mercedes-Benz has advanced new engines capable of operating in a “lean-burn” mode that improves fuel efficiency and emissions, but they won’t be available in the U.S. because sulfur content in gasoline remains too high, an executive says.

Most sulfur has been scrubbed effectively from U.S. diesel fuel due to Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel federal regulations, which limit sulfur content to 15 parts per million.

But the sulfur limits for gasoline are much higher – 80 ppm at the refinery gate and 95 ppm downstream, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

New 4- and 6-cyl. engines from Mercedes operate on lean-burn combustion cycles, but cannot function properly if sulfur levels in fuel are above 50 ppm, “That’s definitely too much,” Bernhard Heil, vice president-powertrain development for Mercedes-Benz, tells Ward’s.
http://wardsauto.com/ar/mercedes_dirty_fuel_110315/

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
A vehicle that one can't physically mount (hehe, yes, I said "mount") if one has a giant beer gut will never succeed in America, 18 mph top speed completely aside.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Ohes noes, I think I just became a bike hippy.... :( Picked up an old kiddie trailer for $20 so we can ride the 2.6 miles to the grocery store, at least when the weather's decent. It's an InStep DuoSport (no clue) that has a hard plastic base that means I don't have to try to jerry-rig a plywood floor in it. In it's inaugural ride it held a full case of New Glarus Moon Man, and should probably hold ~3-4 paper bags full of groceries. Won't be good for 200lbs of water softener salt, but should be good for just about any other grocery runs.

Mmmmmmmm, beeeeeer.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I test drove a Chevy Volt today.

It looks sharp, I'll grant it that. Hearing nothing but the faint electric motor whine when the dealer pulled it out of the garage was very cool, too. (For those of you familiar with Toyota hybrids, it sounded a bit like the high-frequency whine that the HSD makes when regenerating.)

Then I hopped in. Although it's a small car, based on the Cruze, it felt big enough inside in the front seats: plenty of legroom and headroom alike. The ergonomics were all fine, too, apart from the shifter being oddly smack dab in the center of the dashboard and the parking brake being this little, weenie electronic deal. The dashboard was unconventional, too, with a central, squareish LCD display, a "floating ball" to show power consumption/regeneration on the right, and a battery state-of-charge indicator on the left. Didn't look bad overall at all, however, and the center console, in grey in this particular car rather than the iPod-white of the showcars, was pleasant enough as well.

Similarly pleasant was the powertrain part of the driving experience: despite a nominal curb weight of 3800 lbs it didn't feel heavy. In fact it had a bit of a kick, with a nice shove in the back on throttle tip in, no doubt thanks to electric motors' max-torque-at-0-rpm characteristic. My entire, brief test drive was spent in EV-only mode so I can't comment on how raucous the engine is or isn't.

All was not fun and games, however: the A-pillars are mammoth and the roofline low. It doesn't feel airy at all in the interior. Its ambience, if you will, is actually more similar to a sporty car like a current-gen Mustang, in that the roof feels pulled down tight. The front valence scrapes pulling out of driveways. The rear legroom is fine but headroom, thanks to the sloping aero-friendly roofline, is tight. There's no rear center seat: this is a strictly 4 passenger vehicle.

Finally, it's not cheap at all: The one I test drove, with leather and a backup camera as extras, was just shy of $44,000. Even with the $7,500 Federal tax credit for cars with sufficiently large battery packs--I hesitate to call them EVs due to semantics--that's still far from cheap.

So what's the verdict? I commend Chevrolet's engineers on making such an unconventional vehicle so thoroughly normal feeling: for all the world it feels like a muscular version of a Prius when in EV-only mode, with the same no-shifting-necessary seamless feeling of "thrust." The compromises made to styling, namely a swoopy roofline and high beltline, and safety, what with the overly robust appearing A pillars and thick C pillars, make it less inviting to drive than it could be, on the other hand. The price is the final killer: Even on affluent Long Island the salesman said he's sold all of 4 so far.

1 Volt per month. Sounds about right. Good luck, General Motors.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm still an overall skeptic due to their incremental nature, but it turns out that the charging infrastructure for EVs is already much better than one may have thought:

EV Owners Increasingly Get a Charge at U.S. Campgrounds

Yep: the 240V 50A RV hookups can be used as EV charge stations with the proper adapter. The two "rates" quoted in the article were $8.50 and $10 for a 4h charge, in which one's car could suck down a maximum of 48 kWh. (Of course, only a Tesla has batteries that capacious.)

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
I test drove a Chevy Volt today.

1 Volt per month. Sounds about right. Good luck, General Motors.
thanks for the review - I drove an imiev a while ago (late '09) and they've finally started 'selling' them here.. for NZD60k. No sales figures are available, but I expect it's somewhere south of 1 per month.