Quantcast

The avy cult...

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
toodles said:
Post 'em up!

I'm running the Romic on an '04 DHR now. When I first got the bike about two hundred people looked at the Romic and told me it'd blow in 3 seconds. Still working fine and hasn't developed any play, blown up or done anything except take heaps of abuse and keep coming back for more. One of my riding buddies just blew his 5-run old 5th Element and had to send it back for servicing - mwahahahaha.

But the internet is full of these kooky Avy cult folk who keep muttering strangely, worshipping some Craig figure and mobbing anyone who spreads heresy regarding these shocks. I'm starting to wonder what I'm missing out on here (some of these cults have cool perks - there's chicks in the cult right?) so I'll probably check out one of these things in the near future.

I can feel a new member approaching the cult of the damned

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
I agree but is it true that Romic rear shocks do leak a lot or is it just a rumor or what? How come they don't have a resivour on them? Would hte 9'' link be good for my Big Hit if I got an Avalanche Rear Shock?

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
DH biker said:
I agree but is it true that Romic rear shocks do leak a lot or is it just a rumor or what? How come they don't have a resivour on them? Would hte 9'' link be good for my Big Hit if I got an Avalanche Rear Shock?
Romic has an oversized cannister......the oil is right there for use, not in some
spare room......

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
DH biker said:
I agree but is it true that Romic rear shocks do leak a lot or is it just a rumor or what? How come they don't have a resivour on them?
They only leak if they were part of a batch that had ill-fitted o-rings or something at the compression adjuster. Since they don't have an external resevoir, Romic shocks have weird sizes.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
DH biker said:
a friend of mine sold his big hit cause he cannot find the big link upgrade. chances are if you dont have one, you might not get one.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Jimmy_Pop said:
what frame are you talking about? progressive or linear suspension? my last frame was linear and there was no way the avy could differentiate between a small or large hit, thus the bottom out and result "boing OTB" when a fast big hit occurred.

so i bought a new frame ... problem fixed!
i'll second that observation; the avy on my tmx blew through the travel too rapidly; i've since switched to a 5th - dropped 50lbs on the spring rate & gained a bit of small bump sensitivity as well as a nice end-stroke rising rate that the bike lacked previously. suspension design is an important consideration in picking a shock.

Froggy

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
New Fairfield, CT
snowskilz said:
avy is a niche product extra cash for less innovation but it works. Thats why i have loved the ones i have used. Many ppl have tried to derail this thread but its devoted to the ppl that love the product. Yeah so were is your review acadian? and can i get kidwoo's newletter too?
Not bashing you in any way.....but to say less innovation is completely wrong.
Avalanche is very innovated but does not have the resources to promote and advertise such innovations. Ala FOX, Romic etc. I spent 3 hours with Craig last thursday building a new Chubby for my Morewood Izimu. We spoke at length regarding all the new "innovation" that has gone into his shocks. Again not bashing anyone....but remember Avalanche is a 2 man crew, Craig and Eric oh 3 if you count Craig's girlfriend who does the accounting. They don't have the time or resources to promote all the new products and ideas.
Personally I have had Avy's on all my bikes. Santa Cruz Super8,3 Turner DHRs, Cortina Europa DS FS and now my Morewood. I love the avy....but this is about riding bikes....Fox....Romic...Stratos....Cane Creek whatever gets you on trail is good enough for me....rant over :)

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
The funny thing is that the suspension design on the Army is not very progressive but the Avy works super nicely anyway !! I love it !

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Hahahaha, I love it. A thread that is for the avy cult and Zedro still needs to come in and give his 2 cents. :p

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
toodles said:
Post 'em up!

I'm running the Romic on an '04 DHR now. When I first got the bike about two hundred people looked at the Romic and told me it'd blow in 3 seconds. Still working fine and hasn't developed any play, blown up or done anything except take heaps of abuse and keep coming back for more. One of my riding buddies just blew his 5-run old 5th Element and had to send it back for servicing - mwahahahaha.

But the internet is full of these kooky Avy cult folk who keep muttering strangely, worshipping some Craig figure and mobbing anyone who spreads heresy regarding these shocks. I'm starting to wonder what I'm missing out on here (some of these cults have cool perks - there's chicks in the cult right?) so I'll probably check out one of these things in the near future.
I have only felt 1 good Romic and that was on Acadian's DHR after it was rebuilt. The Romic on my Foes just feels like poo.

And of course there are chicks in the Avy cult :blah:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Cant Climb said:
Romic has an oversized cannister......the oil is right there for use, not in some
spare room......
Uh, have you ever heard of "twin tube"??

The oil in the romic is in the main chamber, and in a resevior. If you didn't have a resevior to account for expansion it would explode and leak oil. Well, romics do that anyway, but that's not my main point. It still has a res, and it's just a different way to do things.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
bullcrew said:
Thats pretty good, but a resevoir also help keep more oil capacity and greater surface area for cooling on big downhills.
he wasent being accurate, Romic uses a Twin tube design; essentially the reservoir is wrapped around the piston chamber

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
zedro said:
he wasent being accurate, Romic uses a Twin tube design; essentially the reservoir is wrapped around the piston chamber
Oh Goody, so now not only does it build heat it has a reduced chamber size to accomodate the extra material to make the twin chamber and minimal surface exposed area.
WOW! THATS INNOVATION!
Not knocking you zedro.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
bullcrew said:
Oh Goody, so now not only does it build heat it has a reduced chamber size to accomodate the extra material to make the twin chamber and minimal surface exposed area.
WOW! THATS INNOVATION!
Not knocking you zedro.
i think it comes out to the same size, the Romic is a very fat shock, i dont think they reduced piston diameter

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Chucked the romic in the bin and got an avy for my turner and have never looked back. I had one on my super 8 before i bought my turner as well.

Sick shocks. If i could afford a front fork i would be rocking one as well.

-Matt

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
zedro said:
i think it comes out to the same size, the Romic is a very fat shock, i dont think they reduced piston diameter
Even with the same size piston diameter you'll have reduced interior size and compared to the size of an avy with resevoir, the avy still has a bigger shock body. All in all equaling more oil, dampening properties and cooling.
For what it's worth I like any shock that puts me on the trail, I prefer a shock that keeps me going back with no issues. The Romic is a good shock and a pretty sweet design, I like it. I still prefer an avy.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
bullcrew said:
Even with the same size piston diameter you'll have reduced interior size and compared to the size of an avy with resevoir, the avy still has a bigger shock body. All in all equaling more oil, dampening properties and cooling.
For what it's worth I like any shock that puts me on the trail, I prefer a shock that keeps me going back with no issues. The Romic is a good shock and a pretty sweet design, I like it. I still prefer an avy.
Don't forget that the Romic shocks have funny sizes...like 9 x 2.75 where every other shock would be 8.75 x 2.75. That's where you get your extra oil capacity, in the longer shock body.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
bullcrew said:
was referring more to other shocks piston sizes. Also i dont know what "more damping properties" means, but i'm sure it doesnt mean anything :blah:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Hot oil thins out and has less dampening, It's weight is reduced or thinned out allowing a shock to travel through its range faster. Shocks with resevoirs allow for more oil capacity mainly to keep the oil cooler. Resevoired shocks along with the addition of nitrogen have eliminated or reduced considerably the emulsion or thinning foamy oil. Nitrogren doesn't compress like air and isn't effected by the temerature outside.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Brian HCM#1 said:
I have only felt 1 good Romic and that was on Acadian's DHR after it was rebuilt. The Romic on my Foes just feels like poo.
I'm not having that drama with mine. It's plusher than my old Swinger and pedals just as well. I hope the durability is there because I don't have the grand I'll need for a DHX or Avy - which is another factor that needs to be considered. Romics aren't particularly expensive and they work damn well as far as I've seen.

Brian HCM#1 said:
And of course there are chicks in the Avy cult :blah:
That sells it. Where do I sign up? Is the initiation painful?

Cave Dweller said:
Chucked the romic in the bin and got an avy for my turner and have never looked back.
Don't suppose I can have that old Romic :) I might need it for when mine blows up - provided I survive the explosion all the doomsayers are predicting :dead:

bullcrew said:
Nitrogren doesn't compress like air and isn't effected by the temerature outside.
I think what you mean to say is that it doesn't increase in pressure as badly as air does. Nitrogen is only used because it is mostly inert and has a low coeffiecient of expansion meaning you're shock would have to get really, really hot before the nitrogen expanded enough to over-pressurize and blow the seals.

Nitrogen has to be compressable, otherwise there'd be no point - the shock would heat up and rupture the same as if it was filled with oil.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
toodles said:
That sells it. Where do I sign up? Is the initiation painful?
There are no women, it's just a bunch of oily, naked guys rubbing and masterbating all over eachother with a big AVALANCHE banner hanging overhead.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
ChrisRobin said:
There are no women, it's just a bunch of oily, naked guys rubbing and masterbating all over eachother with a big AVALANCHE banner hanging overhead.
You know, Romic might be worth sticking with after all...

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
Well i love my rear avy id put one in front but i already got an 02 monster put on. Damn that slider.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
ChrisRobin said:
Oh, thats the Canadian chapter, here in the US its all good looking chicks:thumb:

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Brian HCM#1 said:
Oh, thats the Canadian chapter, here in the US its all good looking chicks:thumb:
guess its all those medical advances in sex change operations...

PS..must be a small canadian chapter, apparently shipping to the north is too complicated for Mr. Seekins lol

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
How dare u. U can keep your romicrap my avy is the plushesh thing this side of my KTM.