Quantcast

The Freecaster/WC coverage 2012 thread

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Been trying to get onto Dirt main page and also trying to view the links on this thread, no joy! Is it just my dumb arse phone or is the site down?

Last edited:

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
To be fair, the Rocky Roads site DOES have a bunch of articles regarding the xc racing at Champery. There's also a single article about the DH stuff and one about the trials as far as I can tell. Certainly not the "by-the-minute" coverage we're used to from the likes of Dirt, Vital etc, and it doesn't look like they have the capacity for live streaming ala Freecaster, although I'd love to be proved wrong.

However, this begs the question, has ANYBODY ever offered the level of coverage for the xc stuff that we're used to seeing for the DH? A reflection of public and industry interest, perhaps? An indication as to where the UCI should be investing resources, perhaps? An indication as to where "Rocky Roads" should be allocating their coverage, perhaps? Call me crazy...

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I know that most people here don't follow road racing- but the UCI is constantly embroilled in one scandal or another. The pro road teams have a "union" of sorts and they nearly went on strike earlier this year because they were pissed about the uci overstepping it's bounds. Both the riders and the teams have unions and they are constantly at odds with the uci and threaten to strike. Some of the largest, most famous races in the world have already broken away from the greedy jerks and micromanagement at the UCI.

Then there is evidence of outright corruption and sporting fraud. Recent investigations have found a $125,000 bribe to the UCI from Lance Armstrong to cover up positive drug tests. Mitt Romney is even implicated with IOC affiliated fraud in the bribery scandal he was embroiled in with this dude named Hein Verbruggen, the former UCI director who also held a spot on the IOC selection committee during the selection process from the Salt Lake City Winter Olympics. There are way, way too many scandals and complaints to list here.
Hein was demonstrably crooked. There are slightly substantiated rumors that Hein and Armstrong, I kid you not, considered putting in a bid to buy the company that runs the Tour De France. You get a lot of races and even a widely circulated French newspaper in that deal.
Under McQuaid no-one has been any less put-off. He's a self-absorbed standoffish jerk who has further entrenched the prickish holier than thou attitude that has always, for some inexplicable reason permeated the UCI.

Think of the UCI president as a consigliere for a federation of money-grubbing cretins who fear change as the primary institutional imperative, assured funding because they are the gateway between the riders and the Olympics via equally inept minaturized national versions of the same bulss@it. The UCI is drawing more and more of their revenue from race teams and manufacturers via grotesque fees for things like team registration, technical approval and as we see right now, nutty dollar requests for media rights.

The manufacturers hate the UCI. Recently they've taken to banning bikes literally in the gate of time trials based on GUESSES that the frames my be too aerodynamic. Earlier this year the decided 40 minutes before a time trial that everyone's saddle had to be "level" it's impossible to measure "level" since seats are... "saddle shaped". Forcing someone to arbitrarily change how they sit on a bike based on a 40 year old rule that"s never been enforced is criminally dangerous...

The UCI literally uccupies a fortress on a hill.

They do have a sick back yard though...

Last edited:

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
Sounds like typical European business deals. Us American's expect deals to be at done at arm's length with each party acting independently. Even in the DH world this happens. Martin Whitely running the Trek team while also being an agent/manager for riders on other teams. Seems very odd to me. Same thing happens in F1. Team Principals working as managers for drivers who drive for other teams.

Maybe the big boys Trek, Specialized, et all will form a break away series.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Sounds like typical European business deals. Us American's expect deals to be at done at arm's length with each party acting independently. Even in the DH world this happens. Martin Whitely running the Trek team while also being an agent/manager for riders on other teams. Seems very odd to me. Same thing happens in F1. Team Principals working as managers for drivers who drive for other teams.

Maybe the big boys Trek, Specialized, et all will form a break away series.
It has nothing to do with being euro but rather with it being a sports union/org. It is not like you have no problems with your national governing body so dont try to pretend like it doesnt happen in the us ;)

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
It has nothing to do with being euro but rather with it being a sports union/org. It is not like you have no problems with your national governing body so dont try to pretend like it doesnt happen in the us ;)
Sorry but this takes the cake. Amazing the UCI is supposed to be the steward of International Cycling.

Their gaffe's on the road side this year along have been amazing.

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Remember the Santa Cruz video from last year bitching about the fee to do a Worlds video? The manufacturers have got to be well pissed about all of this, hopefully we'll start seeing some press releases from various manufacturers soon with some strongly worded threats.

alpine slug

Monkey
Jun 10, 2011
you're either a troll, or very young and naive... can't figure out which.
You're hilarious. You know only two possibilities:

1) slyfink's perspective

2) everything else, which is either a troll or very young and naive

That second category ironically shows the first category in the mirror. I laugh at your juvenile arrogance while pretending at great braininess and experience.

If you don't realize what is happening in the global economy right now, it doesn't make ME the naive or trollish one.

Maybe think about that one, Canucky Child.

If you don't realize that large capital interests are on shaky footing right now, that doesn't make ME the naive or trollish one.

Maybe think about that one, too, Canada's Finest.

Or feel free to take your "news" from Government Leaders, who are always well-regarded as honest, and regular dispensers of all the facts you need to run your life comfortably and as a well-informed person.

PS: let me know when you'd like to change from this juvenile dongle-measurement to a real contest of brains, little one.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Sorry but this takes the cake. Amazing the UCI is supposed to be the steward of International Cycling.

Their gaffe's on the road side this year along have been amazing.
I agree with you. Only that typical euro comment rubbed me the wrong way ;)

Alpineslug - please think about one thing. Why are you allways on the opposite of someone. Im yet to see a post when you agree with other posters.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
The one company that seems like it would have the greatest ability to do anything would be Shimano. As the presenting sponsor of the World Cup series, I imagine they would have some pretty decent monetary pull. Shimano needs to tell UCI they want (and expect) the freecaster coverage, the Dirt TV coverage, the Vital Coverage, Pinkbike coverage etc...

I'm to the point where I hope the sponsors tell UCI to f*ck off. DH isn't in the olympics, it never will be in the olympics. We don't need the IOC, the UCI , (or USAC).

Lock JDD and Martin Whitley down in a room and don't let them come out until we have a DH federation and a new series.

-KT

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
It would be interesting to contact the marketing departments of any of the auto or travel companies they claim they associated with and see if they are affiliated.

-KT

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Rocky Roads = UCI.

I can't see the manufacturers being happy about this. Hopefully it will provide enough motivation to form a breakaway series.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
I'm to the point where I hope the sponsors tell UCI to f*ck off. DH isn't in the olympics, it never will be in the olympics. We don't need the IOC, the UCI , (or USAC).
The sponsors - particularly those with a presence on the road - need the UCI. The UCI controls TV exposure for the major road events, and losing imprints during the TdF alone is enough to keep most sponsors in line.

Again, this is how the UCI operates. They're a shakedown organization with a skillset more in line with the Mafia than a sporting governing body.

Positive test? The right payment can make that go away.

Run a favored event and need some creative interpretation of the rules as they relate to course design? For the right price, consider those rules "recommendations"!

Run a small nation's flagship tour and forget to pay out prize money? No biggie, as long as you're related to the UCI upper management.

Have a team that's gone belly up and you really need that salary guarantee back to purchase a house in Spain? No problem at all! The UCI can find a way to get you some "seeding money" for your next team while your riders scrounge to pay rent.

The corruption at the UCI is only surprising if you casually follow cycling.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Bingo. They need to take a page out of ferarri's playbook and start threatening the UCI. Giant+speci+trek= much much much bigger than UCI I'd imagine.

To be fair it was McLaren that started the breakaway talks in F1.

I agree with you though, add Shimano/Sram to your list too.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
To be fair it was McLaren that started the breakaway talks in F1.

I agree with you though, add Shimano/Sram to your list too.
I haven't followed F1 closely enough for the last few years :P. But ya I mean...how big can UCI be? It's not like the resorts/venues care about dealing with the UCI. All they care about is money, right? I mean with all the marketing departments of the big mfg.'s they have to have the requisite resources and infrastructure to begin to put together a breakaway series?

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
Lock JDD and Martin Whitley down in a room and don't let them come out until we have a DH federation and a new series.

-KT
:stupid: I like this idea. In fact, JDD just announced he is running a new race gig for 2012. It seems he his limiting it to the USA, but he claims he's going to hit more resorts, and make it more accessible to the public.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
I must admit, it seems pretty strange. I think their hit counter figures must be fudged. I know there are companies that will take your money to artificially boost your twitter followers and hit counters by getting a load of illegitimate viewers to sign up.

However, there is another possibility here to explain the sponsorship. It could be that Rocky Roads is just a collection of individuals who really like mountain biking, have a marginal website but lots of cash from outside sources (independently wealthy) and they want to take it to the next level.

God knows mountain biking needs sugar daddys!
apparently their most users come from germany, nobody i asked at €bike ever heard of this company, sounds bogus to me...

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Bingo. They need to take a page out of ferarri's playbook and start threatening the UCI. Giant+speci+trek= much much much bigger than UCI I'd imagine.
Nope. Again, if they have interests on the road, they'll toe the line and do the UCI's bidding on the dirt.

TV air time (Europe and US) is what's important. Manufacturers and other sponsors aren't going to raise a finger at anything the UCI does off-road.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Nope. Again, if they have interests on the road, they'll toe the line and do the UCI's bidding on the dirt.

TV air time (Europe and US) is what's important. Manufacturers and other sponsors aren't going to raise a finger at anything the UCI does off-road.
FIA or whatever they were called were calling the tv shots in F1 and it worked(well kinda, they didnt break away but got what they wanted) so dont be so pessimistic