Quantcast

the gearbox thread

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
The problem is that right now they don't have a G-boxx and building their own is not the solution, sorry but it's to complicated for such a small brand. Nicolai has screwed it really bad and I don't think that I'll trust them anymore, they can do the G-Boxx 3 if they want but it's going to be their thing.

We need a Shimano or Sram Boxx, Cheaper and Lighter than G-boxx, with trigger shifters.... and with a better Frame-Boxx interface.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
We need a Shimano or Sram Boxx, Cheaper and Lighter than G-boxx, with trigger shifters.... and with a better Frame-Boxx interface.
i'm pretty sure a frame mounted alfine is the best solution currently - standard readily available guts, decent value, has triggers, not too heavy, variable mounting / suspension configuration possibilities, and a minimum of proprietary stuff needed. dammit zerode, where are you?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i'm pretty sure a frame mounted alfine is the best solution currently - standard readily available guts, decent value, has triggers, not too heavy, variable mounting / suspension configuration possibilities, and a minimum of proprietary stuff needed. dammit zerode, where are you?
srsly. The alfine is a great hub and supposedly has been used in MTB applications. It's biggest downfall is that it "supposedly" cannot handle the high torque of a granny gear or low-ratrio drive. When do you climb 30* hills in DH?

On top of that, there's a new alfine coming out that is like 11 gears, supposedly stronger, but still lighter than a rohloff.

The problem is that I can't weld, otherwise there would be one...

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Wasn't there a guy on here making electronic shifting for his derailleur in a box and his own bike? I guess with Dura Ace Di2 is not difficult anymore.

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
Yep, but it would be really cool if shimano could make a version of the Alfine more G-boxx Friendly. Something that could be easyer to attach to the frame.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yep, but it would be really cool if shimano could make a version of the Alfine more G-boxx Friendly. Something that could be easyer to attach to the frame.
I think that's what makes the alfine a more attractive option... there's more freedom as to where it can be mounted in the frame. I do get your point about ease of actual mounting, but then again Shimano intends this to be used as a hub.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
that's the awesomeness of the frame mount hub config - it's pretty much universal (ie, you could, in theory design it to fit more than one brand of gearhub), just a 135mm hub mount. bolt a chainring carrier to the side of the hub flange, and you're done. the first zerode demonstrates the simplicity of the model well - standard hub bolted inside the center ring. (damn, i'd love to see a superco iteration of this):

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i love dc camp creations. this is a great example of how simple a gearbox platform can be - ss or fg hub in the back / frame mounted standard gearhub / chain tensioner. awesome.

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
Looks rad. Not sure about left hand chain drive next to disk. Good call for a belt perhaps. Getting the Alfine drive to the other side is a sh!t, but doable.
Still a nice looking bike, swingarm may need more bracing but looks well made. Lovin the black finish. Good job.
hey thanks!

i was/still am a little worried about the left side drive, but with all the riding i've done there haven't been any issues with chain/disc interfering. just have to be really careful with wiping excess chainlube.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Is the left swingarm sticking out further, or did you manage to squeeze rotor and single speed in the space of a cassete?
Yeah, access lube should be wiped off anyway.
What travel, leverage ratio, chainstay length, etc?
Shimano, are you seeing this? Bring out a thinner hub for f*ck sake, or just get the shifting mess tidier so it takes up less room. Surely a 100mm hub for gearbox use could be made.

Last edited:

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
Is the left swingarm sticking out further, or did you manage to squeeze rotor and single speed in the space of a cassete?
Yeah, access lube should be wiped off anyway.
What travel, leverage ratio, chainstay length, etc?
Shimano, are you seeing this? Bring out a thinner hub for f*ck sake, or just get the shifting mess tidier so it takes up less room. Surely a 100mm hub for gearbox use could be made.

yeah it is... the right side dropout is flush with the swingarm, and the left side sticks in 1/2".

also the whole rear end is dished about 1/2" to the left side of the bike to get a good chainline and also allows for the rim to be centered on the flanges of the hub.

8.25" travel
3:1 lever ratio (pretty much linear, but the pivot arm is right at 90 when the shock is bottomed, making it ever so slightly rising rate...)

Geometry:
HA 64*
SA 75*
WB 46.5"
BB 13.5"
CS 17.3"

Last edited:

Honus

Monkey
Jun 6, 2006
Boulder, CO
i love dc camp creations. this is a great example of how simple a gearbox platform can be - ss or fg hub in the back / frame mounted standard gearhub / chain tensioner. awesome.
Sweet- I've always liked Dave's inventions. That bike's better than the Alfine design I worked up a few years ago.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
My custom built carbon trail bike. It was a long time coming but well worth the wait. With a slack head angle, short chain stay and low bottom bracket, she is a super fun bike for throwing around the local trails.
Very nice - must've been a lot of work!

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
My custom built carbon trail bike. It was a long time coming but well worth the wait. With a slack head angle, short chain stay and low bottom bracket, she is a super fun bike for throwing around the local trails.
youre not gonna leave us hanging without details :thumb:

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
awesome! what the hell is with nz & rad carbon / gearbox bikes? something in the water over there? we demand heaps of details, perhaps a documented build thread even. and make me one!

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
Yeah, not too bad. The wait I eluded to is more the elapsed time since the design was finalized than effort to implement said design.....
It's not like nothing's been going on in ChCh... hope you're all ok down there.

Any of the NZ bike mags going to do a write-up?

pipe

Chimp
Jun 19, 2011
Christchurch, New Zealand
Ok already. Here are some more pics. Even an action one for something different.

The yellow bike is the first one built. Richard (The master mind behind the whole project) designed the bike and took this set of photos. He has been riding the yellow one for a year or so. This is his 4th gearbox box bike design I think, and the first made with carbon (others were steel).

I was lucky enough to get involved with the project because my brothers business (ASP) agreed to manufacture the frames. There is going to be a small run of frames but I doubt very much that it will get to the stage where they will be available to the general public. Which is a bit of a shame because they are really fun bikes.

Not a whole lot of detail there but if you have any specific questions I'll be happy to answer them.

A magazine writeup is a good idea. I'll see if Richie is keen on that. He has done that sort of thing before so wouldn't be too difficult to tee up.

p.s. The trails are still mostly open since the earthquakes so it's not all bad down here in Christchurch. And the water came back on last night so all good.

Attachments

Last edited:

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
Wow, it's a very nice design and its very innovative too, I think it's the first bike with a floating Gearbox. It reminds me a little bit to the Balfa BB7.

If you want I can post a review on my Blog.