Quantcast

the gearbox thread

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I still think the trigger mechanism should be mounted under the stem(from face plate bolts)with a trigger each side, simple.Probably better for multiple gear changes also. I don't have a problem with the Twit shifter for the Rohloff, it's good for dumping gears and I've never mis shifted, it's not like a Shimanno one.
Sorry, I totally don't get this? You mean with 10" long triggers either side??? If not then how are you going to change gears if it's mounted in the centre of the bike, you'd need to take a hand off the grips???

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Sorry, I totally don't get this? You mean with 10" long triggers either side??? If not then how are you going to change gears if it's mounted in the centre of the bike, you'd need to take a hand off the grips???
LOL, cables seem to work fine everywhere else.
Return springs in the triggers.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
LOL, cables seem to work fine everywhere else.
Return springs in the triggers.
Right I see what you're getting at now. I disagree, keep both triggers on one side, make it as close to a sram/shimano as possible. No reason to make yourself learn how to change gear again, and why use 2 thumbs when 1 does the job well enough.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Right I see what you're getting at now. I disagree, keep both triggers on one side, make it as close to a sram/shimano as possible. No reason to make yourself learn how to change gear again, and why use 2 thumbs when 1 does the job well enough.
It'd take all of ten runs max to get your subconscious to learn it.
It'd be so much easier and neater and take so much less effort just stabbing at one nice big lever. It'd be out of the way of your hands more. It'd be RIGHT, not some compromise based on XC stuff.
But whatever you prefer. Life's too short to accept levers on the wrong side.

Last edited:

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
Hi guys,
I'd like to ask those of you who own Lahar piece-of-art or have ever seen Lahar's Speedhub solely (as on the picture that I found in this thread) on some details:

1) Does he use CC axle version (hollow axle for QR) of Speedhub or does he completely disassemble Speedhub and replaces Rohloff axle by his own axle ?
2) Does he remove only these 2 parts: no. 61 (Axle plate OEM) and no.6 (Locking nut) and replaces them by those Alu holders seen on the picture ?
3) Is the secondary sprocket (output, that drives rear wheel) attached to the hub via that thick Alu ring which is attached to the hub shell at the spoke flange ?
4) Does Lahar's Speedhub use Rohloff 13t sprocket (input)? There seems to be a gap between (input) sprocket and hub shell (in the picture) which would corespond to the Rohloff drawing OA01D where 13t sprocket is offset 3.5mm to the right. Or does Lahar use his own (input) sprocket which is offset to the right side to give him more space for output sprocket ?

The reason why I'm asking is I've been designing my AM/EN bike that shall use Speedhub but I decided to follow Lahar's design instead of using Speedhub in the rear wheel. Lahar's solution is pretty nice and I'm wondering that 3.2mm thick spoke flange made of Alu can hold output sprocket. My first idea was to use the spoke holes on both flanges to attach outpur sprocket.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
1) Does he use CC axle version (hollow axle for QR) of Speedhub or does he completely disassemble Speedhub and replaces Rohloff axle by his own axle?
2) Does he remove only these 2 parts: no. 61 (Axle plate OEM) and no.6 (Locking nut) and replaces them by those Alu holders seen on the picture ?
looks to me like a standard cut down axle w/ the axle mounts & flush (brass) lock nuts.
3) Is the secondary sprocket (output, that drives rear wheel) attached to the hub via that thick Alu ring which is attached to the hub shell at the spoke flange ?
yup. it's just a carrier for a standard 5-bolt granny ring bolted through the spoke flange.
4) Does Lahar's Speedhub use Rohloff 13t sprocket (input)? There seems to be a gap between (input) sprocket and hub shell (in the picture) which would corespond to the Rohloff drawing OA01D where 13t sprocket is offset 3.5mm to the right. Or does Lahar use his own (input) sprocket which is offset to the right side to give him more space for output sprocket ?
standard sprocket & spacing, i believe.

really a great system he's designed. elegantly simple & effective. would make a great standard.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
If they brought out a trigger shifter before I got my Lahar I would have went for that but after using the twist shift system on the rohloff.
Its mint.It works and it never misses a beat.

I wouldn't change it now.

dhracer309

Chimp
Oct 1, 2008
The dirty 330
i think that the gear boxes are kool and all but they are to complicated for mountain biking and to many parts to break especially for dh so no matter how big gearboxes get derailleur will always be there

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
i think that the gear boxes are kool and all but they are to complicated for mountain biking and to many parts to break especially for dh so no matter how big gearboxes get derailleur will always be there
Shhhh, you have no idea. Read the whole thread, do some research, then comment.Or better still, ride one for a decent amount of time.
Changing 30ml of oil annually and a chain when needed is so far from complicated. With a Rohloff lasting thousands and thousands of KMs there is no more reliable system available at present I don't think(not sure of old Sturmey archers etc).
and reliability and simplicity is not even half of the benefit of a center mounted Rohloff.
Doors wide open for any cheap Lahar bashing comment by anyone stupid enough not to have a valid argument..

Last edited:

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
83mm crank. the chainring on my gravity lights is spaced to the inside, so you might be able to go narrower.
Also I want to use 83mm BB because of standard Shimano cranks, most likely new Saints but I don't know space width between their crank arms. This is quite a limiting factor. I measured crank arms distance on my LX crankset with 73mm wide BB, it was cca 150mm. Assuming it could be 160mm on the 83mm wide BB then placement possibilities of 135mm wide Speedhub are getting better :-).

Wobbler

Monkey
Jan 22, 2006
That is an old m8 lahar that got poked in the mold or something, the guy doing this bike got it off aaron. Aaron has nothing to do with the Zero (the gbox bike you see in the pics)

bikemonkey

Chimp
Feb 1, 2008
Santiago, Chile
that new bike is looking good. I love the chassis, I really hope they can make it light enough to compensate for the extra weight of the alfine. although my bike ain't that heavy (alfine equipped) it is still over the 40 pound mark.

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
:clapping::clapping:

Not sure what the deal is with the crazy-high flange, but who cares as long as it works.

Also, there only seems to be one cable, so does this mean shifters for both hands?

tfj77, you have one rad flickr album.

Cool shot of the shifter pawl mechanism.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
GREAT GOOGLEY MOOGLEY

got any links to more info?
a kiwi creation by rob metz (& james dodds i think). about to go into production, apparently. frame mounted alfine gearhub. info is scarce, but sounds like this is the production version:

and yeah, the proto looks like a cross between a lahar & superco, therefore i wants one.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
Do you have some specs on that? Do you know what width BB their running? Also how are they dealing with chain stretch/slack and the non-concentric pivot/output sprocket? Looks pretty nice, I like the simple lines of it.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Do you have some specs on that? Do you know what width BB their running? Also how are they dealing with chain stretch/slack and the non-concentric pivot/output sprocket? Looks pretty nice, I like the simple lines of it.
If you look at the chain that connects the rear hub to the gearbox, check the lower half. It looks like its being pulled up to the seat stay with a tensioner.

TomBo

Monkey
Jan 13, 2004
Calgary,Alberta
Looks really good,
Lets hope it all comes together in a full production. Holds up and doesn't cost more then the market can bare. I can't wait to get on a gear box bike some day...

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
Pretty clean and beautiful, can't wait to see details of gearbox mounting and shock linkage. Why didn't they use floating brake caliper?

To MobileChernobyl: Aaron Lahar had to solve the same issue with the chain; attached picture.

Bulwinkl

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
Does anyone know how this can work? Only one chain! my only guess is that the sprocket is not on the main axle, but there are two concentric axles, cranks on the inner one that conects to the outer via gears....