Quantcast

The last person to post a picture from their last bike ride wins access to the white courtesy phone.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Y U no studded tires?
Generally not needed here. More money and hassle than benefit for the limited use they'll get.

Will maybe homebrew with a set of old mid fats in future, just because.

Frozen dirt, some decent snow (rarely) then freeze/thaw mud season. This batch of glazed ice on our trails (covering everything) for this long is an aberration.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Generally not needed here. More money and hassle than benefit for the limited use they'll get.

Frozen dirt, some decent snow (rarely) then freeze/thaw mud season. This batch of glazed ice on our trails (covering everything) for this long is an aberration.
Studded tires hook up nice on roots too.

What size? I have a Surly Bud and Lou with grip studs that are still serviceable, replaced 'em with Wrathchilds this year - the Surly's are yours if they'd be useful to you.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
9D540F46-048A-4EA5-976B-76CF68EB332D.jpeg

Og ride egg. At the end of yesterday’s ride I found a camelbak complete with wallet and SS card. Found the owner via facebook, got a hug for a reward. Today, swing, ice cream and changed a swaztika into a US flag. Just doing gods work. I guess someone’s got to do it.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
What size? I have a Surly Bud and Lou with grip studs that are still serviceable, replaced 'em with Wrathchilds this year - the Surly's are yours if they'd be useful to you.
Thanks. Much appreciated, but save them for someone more local to you. They'll surely get more use from them than they would down here from me. Fatty tires work pretty well for me, and some winters we don't even get enough of anything to need those.

Studded tires hook up nice on roots too.
Yes, but they suck on the rest around here, unless it truly is iced over EVERYTHING. Have used them in the past, and do not enjoy them enough on rocks or any other non-iced surfaces enough for me to really want to deal with swapping tires/yet another wheelset.

Now, with the way the climate is changing, if we were to start getting more iced over stuff like this...but that has been the rarity for my area. Usually crusty snow for the most part. Melts a bit and refreezes with a crust generally not thick enough to require studded tires.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
According to my new awesome made in China $8 low pressure air guage, I had just over 2psi in the tires today. So slow, but no way around it with the ice. Butt hole got a workout today clinching.

Engage clench mode now.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
No studs, or would they be overkill most of the time?
They'd be useful a portion of the time when we get these dumb thaw and then freeze situations.

But I'd rather go hike or do something else rather than deal with changing tires. Not to mention the price of studded fat bike tires...