Quantcast

The last person to post a picture from their last bike ride wins access to the white courtesy phone.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
What a stud :p

@Nick that shot appears to have the opposite effect than most as it's actually a roller....at least when I did it. Though looking at it now, I might have been better off hucking it.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Ah... Was viewing on mobile and hadn’t scrolled to see your reply..

‘..WTAF is that?.. Some sort of dead thing?’

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Almost ruined my ride. Almost.

Bars hung on though. Barely.
So about that stem; would you say it's more of an onyx black, or more, I don't know, like an ebony black?
from those pictures it's hard to tell, maybe sort of black tourmaline ?

Thanks. I'll await more info on the stem.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
So about that stem; would you say it's more of an onyx black, or more, I don't know, like an ebony black?
from those pictures it's hard to tell, maybe sort of black tourmaline ?

Thanks. I'll await more info on the stem.
I think equally important, is it a matt or satin finish?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
What lights do you use?
Im looking at some Gemini lights, haven't bought lights in a decade.
I have a 700 lumen bar light from Lezyne. The battery is super weak now.
I have a 1200 lumen Serfas light on my helmet.
The combo works reasonably well, but riding at night is weird.

stem rules. Makes the bike, bro. Just had to adapt to the larger stem bolt heads. All good now.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Most of the stuff on Action LEDs is good. Glowworm is good. Magicshine is good. No such thing as too many lumens. I did a ride a few weeks ago and coming back from the trails was a relegation, to see all the cars that actually saw me, stopped BEFORE the stop-signs and intersections, etc. It's better in the winter/at night here for commuting IF you have the lights, they see you better than in the summer. Most higher lumen lights can burn lower lumens longer than lower lumen lights. Battery capacity is important to look at though, make sure you aren't getting a high lumen light with a shit capacity battery.

Self contained stuff is ok, sometimes. It tends to be more affected by the cold and craps out due to thinking it's too cold, even when it's not, as in some go into "safe mode" even though the are not near where temps would cause the voltage to drop, it's just their safety margin for that is too wide. They are a good backup though. The stuff where you can run an extension and a battery in your pocket/fanny pack/etc. works nice for long burn and not being affected as much by the cold. They are often decent for shorter rides. They are real nice for stuff like commuting, USB charging at the office, etc.

Remotes are badass, being able to go to a low light setting or off on a climb allows you to hugely extend the burn time or go full-bright on the downhills without blowing through your battery.

The more you see, the safer and more in control you ride. A lot of times, you don't know what you aren't seeing when you are on a low-lumen light setup with poor flood. Not that's bad, it' good to get out and ride with whatever you have, but again, moar is almost always better here.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I have 2 x 1200 lumens, one on my lid, one on the bars. I often run then on 3/4 power, it’s plenty. I love night riding, but I don’t often get the chance, and it’s getting well into spring here now so no need.

What’s all this drama about Peach’s stem? Looks fine to me. Maybe needs to cut his steerer though...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have 2 x 1200 lumens, one on my lid, one on the bars. I often run then on 3/4 power, it’s plenty. I love night riding, but I don’t often get the chance, and it’s getting well into spring here now so no need.

What’s all this drama about Peach’s stem? Looks fine to me. Maybe needs to cut his steerer though...
It's interesting how different some of the applications are. Here, the sun goes down at 4pm or so in the winter, so off work, every ride is at night and it's a good idea to take a light for any day ride. But then, down in Phoenix, in the summer, the only time to ride is starting at 5-6am or late at night, when all the creepy-crawlies are out, but a lot of that riding is at night, just like our winter.

The great thing here is that the sun comes up at 9am on the weekend, that coincides very close with my weekend schedule ;)

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Glorious day for a ride today

on the way up
1605389342884.png

at the first top
1605389391678.png

scoped out a new line. as usual, doesn't look as steep in picture as it really is
1605389455306.png

unfortunately, I never made it there on my loop as I fucked my shoulder in a fucking climb. fuck. I had just cleared a step up gap that had been messing with my mind for at least 3 years (it's not huge, but big enough, maybe a 8 to 10' gap, and a 2' step up). About 100 yards after that, there's a little climb. I slipped out going up a step that it's a turn, and I think I pulled a muscle deep in the shoulder. I was able to climb back up to the top of the mountain and ride the "flow" trail back to my car, but I can't really pull up, so it was pretty sketchy.

Still, it was an awesome ride, and I'm super stoked I cleared the gap. In the end, it was super easy, so I'll be hitting it up regularly on my loop now. :brows: