Quantcast

The last person to post a picture from their last bike ride wins access to the white courtesy phone.

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
I checked out a new-to-me trail nearby, no idea how I hadn't heard of it before. I think it's built and maintained by a local trail running group.

If you squint real hard you can see the nuclear waste cleanup site out there in the background.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Nice. We call trail runners "post holers" around here. Unfortunately they like to go out and post-hole the narrowest trails right after a snow, rather than wait for them to get packed by other traffic.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Did my first winter trail ride on snow in about 25 years after seeing all the fat bikers riding around on hard packed snow... and all the fat bike pics around here. Turns out my regular 2.5” tires work just fine! Plenty of grip. A bit of slip on the steeper ups, but no big deal... and my rear tire is almost bald too. Only thing I had to mind was staying on the trail. Will definitely do that again.

29E0543A-F7D9-4C39-B1A5-F6EEFE03C6F3.jpeg
B12C51BF-40FD-43A4-8635-E70E1F655C4A.jpeg
DEFADD6C-B688-4CE0-A6C2-9043DDAF22A2.jpeg
98FE00B1-EFCC-461A-B9D3-7B1A7F31B51E.jpeg
005A7017-FF1E-4572-885C-D3D7D9A63E57.jpeg
ABAB23F0-F2CB-49A5-A7F6-51B1DF575489.jpeg

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Did my first winter trail ride on snow in about 25 years after seeing all the fat bikers riding around on hard packed snow... and all the fat bike pics around here. Turns out my regular 2.5” tires work just fine! Plenty of grip. A bit of slip on the steeper ups, but no big deal... and my rear tire is almost bald too. Only thing I had to mind was staying on the trail. Will definitely do that again.

View attachment 155752View attachment 155753View attachment 155754View attachment 155755View attachment 155756View attachment 155757
So you are *that guy* with the zig-zag tire track on the paths? :D

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
20210126_155719_copy_1008x477.jpg

Can just barely see the Hancock building by the nose of my saddle, and the Atlantic Ocean over to the right.

Descent was through a snowstorm. Awesome.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I checked out a new-to-me trail nearby, no idea how I hadn't heard of it before. I think it's built and maintained by a local trail running group.

If you squint real hard you can see the nuclear waste cleanup site out there in the background.
Hanford?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
So you are *that guy* with the zig-zag tire track on the paths? :D
or the tire track far right with boot holes far left. :)
I see the fat bikers have jokes. These trails are packed rock hard, by hundreds if not thousands of footsteps. Tons of grips. No off-trail excursions. I mean, when you see gravel bikes riding it, you know there is grip.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yeap. Although looking back at the direction that trail is headed, I don't think that is a Hanford facility on the horizon, but rather a Lamb Weston potato processing plant in town. Hanford's actually off to the left in that photo.

I may have done the hardware design for the controls on a french fry line there. Well some french fry line near there. It was from the comfort of my living room, was never on site.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Cold night. Stepped off the "trail" in the second picture and sunk down two feet and into a barrel roll...with no gloves on. That was awesome. :D

Did get the first bunch of fallen brush and trees off the trail at the bottom of the steep thing. Lots more to do. I kind of want to get an electric saw, but I figure its good exercise to do it by hand?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Great solo ride tonight. T'was a bit chilly (-14C, -20 with the wind chill) , but the heated socks coupled with neoprene overbooties were a total success.

Full moon made it extra awesome:
1611885962683.png

(that photo was taken with no outside light - just google night mode on my Pixel 3)

these two photos were lit by my bar light on low:
1611886036867.png

1611886059902.png

crossed paths with some dudes in the forest and snapped some pics as they rode away:
1611886166619.png

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Yeap. Although looking back at the direction that trail is headed, I don't think that is a Hanford facility on the horizon, but rather a Lamb Weston potato processing plant in town. Hanford's actually off to the left in that photo.
Another new trail system in the tri cities? Is that in the Reach / dunes region?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Great solo ride tonight. T'was a bit chilly (-14C, -20 with the wind chill) , but the heated socks coupled with neoprene overbooties were a total success.

Full moon made it extra awesome:
View attachment 155879
(that photo was taken with no outside light - just google night mode on my Pixel 3)

these two photos were lit by my bar light on low:
View attachment 155880

View attachment 155881

crossed paths with some dudes in the forest and snapped some pics as they rode away:
View attachment 155882
My camera slows way down in the cold when trying to quickly snap pics - normally it's in my frame bag. Are you keeping yours on your person or on the bike?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
My camera slows way down in the cold when trying to quickly snap pics - normally it's in my frame bag. Are you keeping yours on your person or on the bike?
Jacket breast pocket. I wore my arcteryx theta Lt jacket yesterday which is a bit of overkill, but it kept the phone nice and warm!

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Frozen trails again with a light sprinkle of snow made for some good riding. Here you can see on the right the trail coming down the hill and then me on the way back up on the left both section are fun.

Snowy.jpg

For winter riding I use a mid 90s North Face shell and it's too wark. I need a winter jacket that not has better ventilation so I do not get soaked.

face.jpg

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Frozen trails again with a light sprinkle of snow made for some good riding. Here you can see on the right the trail coming down the hill and then me on the way back up on the left both section are fun.

View attachment 155893

For winter riding I use a mid 90s North Face shell and it's too wark. I need a winter jacket that not has better ventilation so I do not get soaked.

View attachment 155894
Armpit vents seems critical for winter riding... so you're not constantly zipping and unzipping the main zipper.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

View attachment 155893

View attachment 155894
I'd recommend an unlined softshell for winter riding. something made of Schoeller dryskin or something similar. I have one of these. They are tough, windproof, breathable, and shed snow nicely. They can also be found on discount retailers for pretty cheap. Coupled with a thin fleece and a thicker fleece, it's really versatile.

My winter "system" is temperature and precipitation dependant ( well duh!).

cool and dry, I wear a baselayer (merino works nicely) and a thin micro fleece. Cool and snowy, it's the baselayer and the aforementionned shell. A little colder, and I add a microfleece that I've cut the sleeves at the elbow under the shell (for some reason, I tend to sweat a lot in the forearms).

If it's cold and dry, I can also wear the baselayer, microfleece and an arcteryx vest (lightly insulated). or baselayer, micro fleece, shell.

when it's really cold, it's the baselayer, and my Arcteryx Theta LT. That jacket is pretty cool in that it breathes well, and somehow manages to match warmth to level of exertion. But I still find it too warm for any temps warmer than -10 when doing aerobic exercise. especially in the forearms, that get soaked. In that case I prefer the breathability of no shell.

Any colder, and I don't think I'll bother riding.

my temp ranges in °C:
cool: +5 to -5
cold: -5 to -14
really cold: -15 to -19

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Hands down best for my phone is a thigh pocket. They'll sometimes freeze in chest pockets and regular coat pockets. You can put toe-warmers on them (adhesive) to help. I recently found the olympus tracker tough action camera, way way better at cold temps than No Pro.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Look nice. I have all the base layers. So it's just the shell I need.
I should also add they are stretchy. It's almost like they're made of the same material as "enduro" riding shorts. Honestly, it's such a versatile jacket. and like I said, they can be had cheap on the discount sites if you look hard enough and aren't too picky about colour.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Tonight was cold, but not as cold as yesterday.

Rode a little steep section, which the top was nice and grippy. Got to the bottom, saw a glimmer of ice under the snow and must have breathed the wrong way or something as I immediately jimmydean'd. Can see the nice imprint my ass made sliding down the trail here.

Animals were out playing tonight too. I could hear some deer yelping out, along with a coyote or two. Spooky.