Quantcast

The last person to post a picture from their last bike ride wins access to the white courtesy phone.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Finally a trail bike ride. Prime dirt conditions.

I did find a greasy turn and yardsaled though. Derp. Don't know why I was going so fast. Whacked my shin something fierce off the top tube.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So our trails really took a big hit this last week with the warm weather...a lot of snow-bridges giving out and open spots opening up. Generally, that means stop riding the trail, because then you start to damage the tundra/dirt below and these are places where there are no summer trails, sensitive areas, etc. I went out last night though and did a "ski-around" at this one point that had opened up, hoping that we'd get some cooler weather.

We did, the temp dropped to about 28 degrees, but more importantly, it was finally a clear night, so the ground radiated and hard-froze. My ride-around worked perfect.
TxdIG_D95yxPbE4Y0SgZVs-Pr043d1mpiPFTjIXa7hU-2048x1536.jpg

bK268hUFB9Eh38SAZdw3dJK13c3LpoQMzsHFFN1w0gU-2048x1536.jpg

Really bumpy though where a lot of trails have just had dumbshit traffic late in the day creating post-holes and big ruts. Is this bike like gliding over the surface on a golden escalator? Yes. Yes it is.

OESl3rcrfvKCRE1VyGVKniHUkTkUdT5RYQTEoP4nqR0-2048x1536.jpg

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Felt like poop today. Oh well, still good to get out.

Begin complaining...
-brought new shoes, but could barely clip them in. Need another spacer. New shoes suck.
-tied my shoes way too tight. Even after relacing them, my feet hurt.
-ebike bro didnt slow down coming head on to me, so I kicked a stump getting off the trail for him.
-2nd ride of the season, bike is already creaking. Dammit, stupid sandy trails.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Have not moved my trail bike since mid-November. I guess I should service the lowers, bleed the brakes and replace the stans soonish...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
DH rider wins DH race on DH bike, more at 9.

Won the uphill race too though. Great day on a bike.
H1kuIjuzSyBTgzWV_MFLujufSndpMevZ4wNdEZS0MdU-1536x2048.jpg
AJ64zS1kt8idwV60UlUiMHDOHn1KRK2qlxMEF0iCzqA-2048x1536 (1).jpg
GOPR3198.JPG
G0253167s.jpg

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Last weekend I did 90km in the bush in two days, this weekend I did 3km.
Similar amount of sleep but no energy this week.
IMG_20240407_121703.jpg

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Had a good storm last week, there's still heaps of sticks about.
-1163031228365812416.jpg

Ohhhh my reflector, may have to re-trace my ride tomorrow if it came off.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The full eclipse here in town was pretty special. It gave me the, “you are on a space rock” feeling seeing it. Was super cool.

IMG_0015.jpeg
IMG_9997.jpeg

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Got a little snow last night. Pic below is from the same spot as the one above.

Someone out there needs a lesson on how to brake. Every little descent and turn on this trail had this clear locked brake action going on :rofl:

Friggin people in this forest. I need to get horse blinders or something when I ride here...this stuff is never ending.

Here we see people going way around a tree, as the trail proper has a little root on it, which I've highlighted with my finger, otherwise you wouldn't even be able to see the damn thing. This trail has been there for 20 years and has never gone left of that tree.
Do like we do and block off the go around. And put in a trail cam.

On snow turns tho, I find people try to cut i side way too close, thinking their rear wheel follows the front. It doesnt, it goes inside of the front. Then it drags them inside the curve and usually skids off the trail. They especially start getting “hooked” when there’s soft snow off the packed on that inside of the turn.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Do like we do and block off the go around. And put in a trail cam.

On snow turns tho, I find people try to cut i side way too close, thinking their rear wheel follows the front. It doesnt, it goes inside of the front. Then it drags them inside the curve and usually skids off the trail. They especially start getting “hooked” when there’s soft snow off the packed on that inside of the turn.
Oh I block them. When I went after the snow melted it didn't look like anyone had gone there.

I posted on here years ago of this same forest, where people were taking a major detour around some roots (coincidentally a few hundred meters from this). I'd build a pile of logs and shit, return a few days later and the shortcut would be totally cleared. Repeat doing this like 5 or 6 times.

I ended up printing up a poster, laminating it and tying it to a post driven into the ground, saying politely "screw off mate, this trail and roots have been here for 15+ years. Go back to road riding if you want smooth crap". I pissed on the pile that time too.

That pile of logs is still there to this day, all these years later. :rofl:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
The full eclipse here in town was pretty special. It gave me the, “you are on a space rock” feeling seeing it. Was super cool.

View attachment 210115View attachment 210116

100% here in my back yard under full sun and an unseasonable 20 degrees.
It is quite strange to see everything lit up in full sun and then seem to stay that way until more than three quarters occluded, and only then you had to be paying attention to the dimming. The twilight phase is a bit trippy, quite eerie as there is no normal dark side / increasing shadow and bright side, it just got dimmer and dimmer very rapidly in the last few moments. Quite a few stars visible as well. The full eclipse was beautiful. How fast it gets bright again after is also shocking, the barest edge of the sun appears and wham, twilight is gone and sun and shadow are back. Birdsong picks up as it dims, then they go quiet, during the peak, then as the sun breaks, the song returns strongly to fade as it brightens.

Truly an experience.