Quantcast

The Zerode thread

Dec 9, 2015
I have read that Cavalerie uses a fixed rear hub on some of their bikes. How would that work out with a Pinion gearbox?
You could use a fixed rear hub with the Pinion. I would never want to though. You will have the chain constantly turning. This will create too much drag while coasting and also have the chance of getting something (shoelace, pant leg) ripped off in it on a descent. You would also have a higher chance of the chain coming off when you are in really rough sections getting bounced around having the chain constantly rotating. Our design keeps chain slap down to a minimum, but i wouldn't want the chain constantly turning on a descent.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Mine's on route now. Stoked.
I'm 5' 11", getting a large, should I go 40 or 50mm on the stem length?
Thanks
I would suggest 35-40mm I am 6' 1" and once the XL happens I am getting one but have a LG that is in LA now at customs so I have a 40 and 50mm stem and will play it by feel. Keep in mind the last 3 bikes I have been on have all been XL with 35mm stems.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
I am 5'10" with long arms/legs, getting large, and starting with 40mm, I liked that on the med. Troy with similar reach, and the large tracer275, also similar reach, though the troy had 45mm stem after checking

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Thanks guys. Got the new RaceFace turbine R, in 40.

Also going to try and fit 2.6" nobby nics on RF arc 35 rims.
Nice they are supposed to have a bunch of rear wheel clearance at the wide point. In fact I am gonna see if my friends 29" with a 2.2" tire will clear the rear.....

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
allsk8sno to boss: Kindergarden called, the kid is sick and needs to be picked up. Sorry, I have to go early today.
Boss to allsk8sno: OK.....wait, you don't have a kid?!?!
allsk8sno to boss: Today I do. See ya....

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
disclaimer: I'm a gearbox idiot

Would that be heavily affected by the engagement of the rear hub, as well as the endplay between the gears?
Not sure I should have wheels on it later today. I am using I9 wheels if it appears an issue I may go Profile hubs. I used those on other Zerode DH bikes and they where instant which I know The Alfine has some play in it.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
disclaimer: I'm a gearbox idiot

Would that be heavily affected by the engagement of the rear hub, as well as the endplay between the gears?
The rear hub adds to the effect of the gearbox. The issue is, the gearbox already has two 12T ratchets in series inside so the combined effect may be noticeable even by JM.

Dec 9, 2015
You want to run a high engagement rear hub if you are the picky type about that. The box has a bit of rotation on the free hub. For me it is not a big deal with the DT Swiss 340 I have.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
image1.JPG
image2.JPG
People want to know and this is what my LG Taniwha came to on my scale. I have a WTB TCS Casing Convict 2.5 Grip up front weighing 1293 grams and a WTB TCS Breakout in 2.3 that is 1100 grams so I could shave 1.5 and get it to mid 32 pretty easy. Build is below.
1. Zerode Taniwha LG Fox Float X2
2. Fox Float RC2 36
3. Chris King Inset
4. Gamut 40mm Stem
5. Enve DH Bar 800mm
6. Hope Tech 3 E4 F/R 203/183 Floating Rotors
7. Industry Nine 305 Enduro hoop 20mm and 142 by 12mm SINGLE SPEED REAR
8. Fox Transfer 150mm Post
9. Fabric Saddle
10. Gamut Pedals
11. Lezyne Bottle Cage
12. ESI Grips

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Aston got the heaviest bikes he could think of and then proceeded to bash the gearbox version because of its weight. The Taniwha is living proof you can have a gearbox equipped bike which is playful and has both decent weight and geometry.
He also defended the weight of the heavier gearbox bike on the downhill... it was a confusing read but I still found some pertinent points.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Aston got the heaviest bikes he could think of and then proceeded to bash the gearbox version because of its weight. The Taniwha is living proof you can have a gearbox equipped bike which is playful and has both decent weight and geometry.
yea, he bashed it at first, but at the end he seemed impressed by it. at least for list assist riding.