Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Only 1 short shakedown ride but I hope to put on more miles once the temps cool a little. I haven't owned a light trail bike ever, so it's a bit of a revelation so far: it's fast, and wants to climb, hop, etc, and the geo seems spot on for my needs. I'd want slacker if I lived in Bellingham perhaps.
I'm seeking to do bigger backcountry miles where the over-built Meta is too portly and sometimes too much bike. Doing more than 4,500 ft on the Meta which probably weighs 37lbs is a bummer and major hurdle for me.

The stump was a killer deal that I couldn't ignore, as I had a full set of parts to switch over from my trail hardtail. I'm freed from hardtail jail, and I don't ever want to go back! And now I own '83 and '23 Stumps which is rather cute.

PS - It's root beer! Not my first choice of colors but it is more subtle in person.

How are you finding it so far? Those were tempting if I'd needed a replacement trail bike at this time.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Only 1 short shakedown ride but I hope to put on more miles once the temps cool a little. I haven't owned a light trail bike ever, so it's a bit of a revelation so far: it's fast, and wants to climb, hop, etc, and the geo seems spot on for my needs. I'd want slacker if I lived in Bellingham perhaps.
I'm seeking to do bigger backcountry miles where the over-built Meta is too portly and sometimes too much bike. Doing more than 4.5K on the Meta which probably weighs 37lbs is a bummer and major hurdle for me.

The stump was a killer deal that I couldn't ignore, as I had a full set of parts to switch over from my trail hardtail. I'm freed from hardtail jail, and I don't ever want to go back! And now I own '83 and '23 Stumps which is rather cute.

PS - It's root beer! Not my first choice of colors but it is more subtle in person.
I've never weighed my GG Smash, not sure I want to. But I love how fast my 24lb Epic Evo is in comparison when I need to head upwards :D

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
No Rasta No Care

I used to lust over these

I had Rasta fancy skewers

then I found the testing data that showed the ol’ steel Shimano XT QR actually clamped the best, by quite some margin iirc

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
I had Rasta fancy skewers

then I found the testing data that showed the ol’ steel Shimano XT QR actually clamped the best, by quite some margin iirc
I have Rasta mix up Chris King headset on my old Cove Peeler frame thats leaning on the wall in the Garage. I bought the frame like that and it always crossed my mind, how did he have the coin to mix multiple King headsets.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I have Rasta mix up Chris King headset on my old Cove Peeler frame thats leaning on the wall in the Garage. I bought the frame like that and it always crossed my mind, how did he have the coin to mix multiple King headsets.
They sold them that way. He didn’t need to buy five and swap around bits.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Big fan of the new chisel, it’s a cool take and something different than what’s out there. Seems to hit a lower price point and I think the pendulum is swinging back toward alloy, rather than “Everybody needs carbon”. Short travel is fun, too.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
362g and $370USD for a set.
Like Novatec they push the RH flange way out for a pretty asymmetric build, I found it really weird to look at and I don't know why you'd bother doing it?
Has fairly small flanges too.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
pretty asymmetric build
You can't really have "pretty asymmetric" it either is or it isn't. and 99% of rear hubs sure as shit isn't.
They could be. Fairly easily with 150/157 and a properly done 7spd freehub body. But hub manufacturers don't GAF about the DH market

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
You can't really have "pretty asymmetric" it either is or it isn't. and 99% of rear hubs sure as shit isn't.
They could be. Fairly easily with 150/157 and a properly done 7spd freehub body. But hub manufacturers don't GAF about the DH market
Yeah you can, it's like the Autism Spectrum.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Do you remember the warning label Shimano shipped those with?
Warning us all of their extreme braking power!
I remember getting launched OTB many times after upgrading to those vee brakes. Didn't help that I was a noob and bikes then had 4 trillion degree head angles and unicycle like wheelbases.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I remember getting launched OTB many times after upgrading to those vee brakes. Didn't help that I was a noob and bikes then had 4 trillion degree head angles and unicycle like wheelbases.
I remember the sound the v brakes made when they got over heated. And then brake fade. And this was on local trails.

Not racing, not big mountain resort stuff. Just regular trails. But before the brake fade. Eff yeah. Way better than cantilever. At least as far as I 'member berries.

Ah those were the days....

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I remember the sound the v brakes made when they got over heated. And then brake fade. And this was on local trails.
I remember the sound I made when my XT V-brake pad inserts melted from heat on my ceramic rims and clean ejected themselves from the cartridge pad holder on Le Pleney back in '96.

Moved to Hope discs on returning to the UK. Those POS needed dialled right out at the start of a big descent and pumped up so bad they needed dialled out again on the fly half way down. Fun times

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I remember the sound I made when my XT V-brake pad inserts melted from heat on my ceramic rims and clean ejected themselves from the cartridge pad holder on Le Pleney back in '96.

Moved to Hope discs on returning to the UK. Those POS needed dialled right out at the start of a big descent and pumped up so bad they needed dialled out again on the fly half way down. Fun times
Well that sounds like a shit experience! I remember cleaning out rim "trimmings" out of my v brake pads. And fixing up the rim too.

I really think the first gen of Shimano XT disc brakes with steel braided hose, was the best. Just saying. Or am I just being nostalgic?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

Racing DH in 09-10 I'd have to pump my rear brake after a fast rough section(for a hardtail) as the flex in the stays would spread the pads.
I wonder if anybody would want my old Motos or Techs for parts? I still have an 8" vented rotor, I had that on the front because that's what road bikes did.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I really think the first gen of Shimano XT disc brakes with steel braided hose, was the best. Just saying. Or am I just being nostalgic?
They were certainly more reliable. But no match in power to current Saint

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
cantis can actually be set up as powerful as Vs with the right combination of lever (cable pull), orientation of the arms, pad distance from the arms and height/angle of straddle wire to gain maximum leverage. it's def a bit of a faff to do and not all cantis can even be set up this way. Cantis that came on bikes were nearly always shit in the first place and often badly set up on purchase.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia

Ed Masters with the Ride Nutrition speed trap award. paying out more than the UCI for fastest speed trap. Brilliant.

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
Racing DH in 09-10 I'd have to pump my rear brake after a fast rough section(for a hardtail) as the flex in the stays would spread the pads.
I wonder if anybody would want my old Motos or Techs for parts? I still have an 8" vented rotor, I had that on the front because that's what road bikes did.
i had to pump my brakes on my R6 race bike, after coming around fast sweepers, running on to the ripple strip on full gas. It would head shake and flex the alloy wheel enough to squeeze the pads back by distortion.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Put the DD casings back on for my WA trip this week. Really like the Ass-guy in the front.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I really think the first gen of Shimano XT disc brakes with steel braided hose, was the best. Just saying. Or am I just being nostalgic
Those were made by Grimeca. Only change was the brake fluid, Grimeca used DOT on their System 8s, the Shimanos ran mineral oil. Were my first disc brakes too. Sold in 2001 on a mind bending Scott Octane FX2 I raced my first two DH races on.