Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
XT rings have way better longevity because of steel teeth tho? That may not be popular, but it was Shimano’s design pov.

When I was on aluminum RF chainrings, I burned the ring in like 6 mos.

Raceface all-steel rings weigh 150g.

I would agree, the XT chainring is approximately 115 grams where an aftermarket is 55-60ish. You add one of those rings and your not that far off of the xtr setup.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
XT rings have way better longevity because of steel teeth tho? That may not be popular, but it was Shimano’s design pov.

I haven't had any major wear issues with the aluminum wolftooth chainring I have been running for 2+ years. It probably helps a lot that although usually wet, the dirt around here isn't overly abrasive.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I still have a pair of Arachnid pedals in the bin somewhere.
They would take some skin off.
I have two sets, and they do.
Had to get some nuclear stuff in my blood after they gave me a little touch up, hahaha!
They were one of the few decent things I bought because of Dirt MAG, actually pretty much anything that wasn't from the UK was fine, the Darks lasted a lot longer than my Burgtecs.

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee

I am sure that was part of their design goal, but I too do not have issues wearing out aluminum chainrings quickly. Maybe that means I do not ride enough!

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
What mileage do you do in 6mths?
and more importantly how smoothly do you shift gears and how do you look after your bike's drivetrain?

I tend to get around 4-5000 miles use out of ali Express Alu NW 104bcd rings at £8 a pop.
Same mileage I get out of each cassette and chain as the whole lot wears uniformly together. I only change all 3 at the same time at the point where the chain begins to slip under load on the smallest cassette sprockets. Chain by this point is worn well past any chainwear guage reading but still shifts perfectly.
I do look after it though and don't ever intentionally shift under load.

A Steel ring would last longer than my alu rings for sure but when it came time to replace the chain/cassette. leaving a part worn Steel chainring on and fitting a brand new chain would increase the wear rate on the new chain fairly dramatically.

Direct mount chainrings can fuck off
As can 10T or smaller cassette sprockets

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
4000-5000 miles on an aluminum chain ring?

I don't see how that is possible.... Unless you don't use a chain?
Oh. I use a chain.
A cheap 10speed SRAM chain.

I'm guessing you've forgotten how much smoother shifting and more durable 10speed non stupid wide ratio drivetrains actually are compared to modern 12speed dinner plate cassette shite with each shift at the tall end akin to a front chainring shift and the guide pulley miles away from the cassette at the other end.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

I think it's just a case of "everyone else is wrong, and Gary is the middle of the bell curve" situation. :D

Whenever we discuss drivetrain mileage, the range he gets out of his outclasses anyone I've ever heard about...

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
There’s no way I’d get 4000 mi out of an aluminum front ring. 1000mi +\-. I only ride off-road, in SoCal conditions (DG and sand, not so much microfine powder), lube every other ride, and generally don’t do a big degrease very often. My maintenance is probably sub-par, since after all these years, tinkering on my bike is no longer fun for me, plus the thing gets covered in dirt and water crossing splashes on every ride.

Maintenance and local conditions are all YMMV, and my original point is getting obscured.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I only did 4500 miles last year. I think it's plausible I get up to 2000 out of a ring given how frequently I switch them when all is said and done, I know some are lasting at least that long, decent amount of mud and grit. 5000 would be pretty exceptional though.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia

I had a OneUp alloy chainring, XTR chain and XT 11spd cluster get 9640km (~6000miles) but everything was utterly abused and shark finned as hell. I kinda just ran it until the chain snapped as an experiment.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Speaking of Switch :rimshot:

I've been really liking the OneUp Switch rings. They seem to last a decent amount of time, are super silent and "undraggy" when brand new (unlike some other NW options), and are about $40 once you have the spider.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Ragley and Chain Reaction Cycles-

I had what may or may not be a warranty issue. I contacted Ragley and they directed me within 24hrs to whomever I purchased the frame from- which was CRC. Within 24hrs of that CRC wrote back and told me (very detailed) what they needed. I sent it to them and they wrote back that everything was taken care of.

It's not that easy even when I'm dealing with the local shops.

Last edited:

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I think it's just a case of "everyone else is wrong, and Gary is the middle of the bell curve" situation. :D

Whenever we discuss drivetrain mileage, the range he gets out of his outclasses anyone I've ever heard about...
I get WAY more use out of my drivetrains than anyone else I talk to but I'm also way more anal about avoiding mud, washing, lubing, smooth shifting, and minimizing bad chain angles. It's a hold over from when I was a self supported junior racer trying to make my Alivio parts last through multiple NORBA seasons. I don't measure mileage but the XX1 cassette that came on my 2014 Nomad and has been on my main enduro bike since just started skipping at the end of the summer when I put it's 4th chain on.

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001

I think @Gary is measuring in Pinkbike feet.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
This is after 3900+ miles

DSC_0020.JPG
DSC_0021.JPG

Chain is worn past 1% and chainring and cassette teeth are showing obvious noticeable wear but not slipping under load in any sprocket. Not dropping the chain and still shifting well.

A 12 speed XD or micropsline drivetrain would probably have been slipping and in need of replacement well over 2000 miles ago.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
What mileage do you do in 6mths?
and more importantly how smoothly do you shift gears and how do you look after your bike's drivetrain?

I tend to get around 4-5000 miles use out of ali Express Alu NW 104bcd rings at £8 a pop.
Same mileage I get out of each cassette and chain as the whole lot wears uniformly together. I only change all 3 at the same time at the point where the chain begins to slip under load on the smallest cassette sprockets. Chain by this point is worn well past any chainwear guage reading but still shifts perfectly.
I do look after it though and don't ever intentionally shift under load.

A Steel ring would last longer than my alu rings for sure but when it came time to replace the chain/cassette. leaving a part worn Steel chainring on and fitting a brand new chain would increase the wear rate on the new chain fairly dramatically.

Direct mount chainrings can fuck off
As can 10T or smaller cassette sprockets
Gary,I am wondering with all those miles,you do not attack the matter like me? I Love and run XT,also RFace. Agree with all on the steel XT,as well RFace AL. The One thing I am not reading in this thread,is the chain. I too run SRAM chains,had great luck.

I run 3 chains per Bike. All are cut and ready Togo. Swap um to prolong All Teeth. This was taught tome back in 93 in a forum just like this. It has done me well.
Avy

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Just my 2c, I think the best chain you can afford is the go. I've had better luck with top of the line Shimano chains than with SRAM or other brands. That 9640km drivetrain of mine was on a single 11spd XTR/Dura Ace chain. When it finally snapped I had a good look at it and several of the outer plates had tiny cracks near the rivets. It also had pretty horrible lateral play in it by that stage.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I get WAY more use out of my drivetrains than anyone else I talk to but I'm also way more anal about avoiding mud, washing, lubing, smooth shifting, and minimizing bad chain angles. It's a hold over from when I was a self supported junior racer trying to make my Alivio parts last through multiple NORBA seasons. I don't measure mileage but the XX1 cassette that came on my 2014 Nomad and has been on my main enduro bike since just started skipping at the end of the summer when I put it's 4th chain on.
These XX1 11sp are incredible. My son is still using the original one I got on my Pivot Mach5.7c 2013. After 6 riding seasons, it was still in much better shape than my GX Eagle was after ~2 seasons.

I just bought an XO.1 10-50 Eagle cassette to replace my GX Eagle. Should I expect the same magical durability I got from my XX1 10-42 11sp? I just hope the XX1 11sp and XO.1 Eagle are machined from the same material.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I run the same chain for the life of the drivetrain. a cheap PG1030

I've no idea what your first paragraph meant @Avy .

Out of interest @toodles was that 9k+ km with a narrower range cassette with an 11t smallest sprocket?

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
I run the same chain for the life of the drivetrain. a cheap PG1030

I've no idea what your first paragraph meant @Avy .

Out of interest @toodles was that 9k+ km with a narrower range cassette with an 11t smallest sprocket?
I am saying Do Not Run One Chain,run 3 to prolong the life of All drivetrain.
Avy

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Or
look after it while just running the whole lot together for thousands of miles until it's all worn out together. ;)

I'm not sure rotating 3 chains actually increases drivetrain life by enough to be worth the hassle and for me personally buying 2 more chains wouldn't really work out any more cost effective.
My drivetrain is cheap though. (Deore 10speed 11-36 cassette £36, SRAM chain £12, 36T Alu NW chainring £8)
Fair enough if you run £200 cassettes though.

One other consideration: Each time you fit a brand new chain on part worn cassette sprockets & chainring teeth it stands to reason the mismatch between tooth profile and chain pitch will increase the rate at which the brand new chain will wear.
Doncha fink?

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
One other consideration: Each time you fit a brand new chain on part worn cassette sprockets & chainring teeth it stands to reason the mismatch between tooth profile and chain pitch will increase the rate at which the brand new chain will wear.
Doncha fink?
Nah. Chains wear between the roller and the pin not on the outside of the roller so the wear state of the sprocket shouldn't change how fast the chain wears, but a chain that's new may skip on a drivetrain that's been run on an old worn chain. The worn chain will wear the sprockets though from effectively being the wrong pitch for them.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah.
I know how a chain wears.
Excess stress caused by (worn) chainring and sprocket teeth of longer pitch than the chain are going to accelerate internal roller wear.
how much by. I've no idea.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I get WAY more use out of my drivetrains than anyone else I talk to but I'm also way more anal about avoiding mud, washing, lubing, smooth shifting, and minimizing bad chain angles.
LOL I'm a power shifting, mud hole hammering, don't put water from a hose on my bike, not care about chain angles - kinda guy...

I do brush the chainring, chain, casette, and derailuer and lube every or every other ride.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
These XX1 11sp are incredible. My son is still using the original one I got on my Pivot Mach5.7c 2013. After 6 riding seasons, it was still in much better shape than my GX Eagle was after ~2 seasons.

I just bought an XO.1 10-50 Eagle cassette to replace my GX Eagle. Should I expect the same magical durability I got from my XX1 10-42 11sp? I just hope the XX1 11sp and XO.1 Eagle are machined from the same material.
Same material but slightly narrower teeth and a slightly worse chain angle in 1st gear, so expect slightly less life.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Yeah XT 11spd 11-42 I'm pretty certain. I had the one drivetrain on that Transition Scout for nearly the whole time I owned it. That chain outlasted two chainstays haha
XT or GX- which cassette will last longer?

Last edited: