Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Because those medium and large sized men are now in their late 30's/early 40's and have figured out that cramming themselves onto ergonomically retarded bikes like they did when they were in their early 20's trying to race ratty old DH bikes is very fucking stupid.
You realize that you argue against Sam Hill???

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Because those medium and large sized men are now in their late 30's/early 40's and have figured out that cramming themselves onto ergonomically retarded bikes like they did when they were in their early 20's trying to race ratty old DH bikes is very fucking stupid.
you say that as though we just woke up 20 years later and haven’t been riding bikes all along. Reach, wheelbase, handlebars... pretty much all bigger now and it’s been a gradual process. Some are clearly taking it further than others, but there’s an obvious limit and things will eventually stabilize.

i thought most people were well on board with bigger is better following the tiny xc frame as slalom bike phase.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
you say that as though we just woke up 20 years later and haven’t been riding bikes all along. Reach, wheelbase, handlebars... pretty much all bigger now and it’s been a gradual process. Some are clearly taking it further than others, but there’s an obvious limit and things will eventually stabilize.

i thought most people were well on board with bigger is better following the tiny xc frame as slalom bike phase.
Trails have also changed quite a bit in a lot of places. The bike I ride today wouldn't fit through some of the trails I was riding 20 years ago.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
You realize that you argue against Sam Hill???
Many/most pro riders overcome some truly horrible bike setups with raw power and talent. For most people, their setups are not analogous. Get a pro rider who's built differently than you are, and the setup details mean fuck all.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Many/most pro riders overcome some truly horrible bike setups with raw power and talent. For most people, their setups are not analogous. Get a pro rider who's built differently than you are, and the setup details mean fuck all.
That is my argument all along. Find what works for you.
I just think it is funny that folks that copied pros with the longer/slacker/lower trend are now ignoring that some pros are on "too small bikes", ride with 740 mm handlebars, etc.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I remember running the Boxxers on my DH fork so friggen stiff it was crazy. All for "cornering support" and "supportive front end for steeps" etc. In the end it turns out a medium Sunday/TR450 is a really friggen small bike and an appropriate reach figure lets me have a fork that absorbs impacts. Now every joint in my fingers, wrists and elbows is shot, maybe I should have experimented with longer reach bikes sooner.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I remember running the Boxxers on my DH fork so friggen stiff it was crazy. All for "cornering support" and "supportive front end for steeps" etc. In the end it turns out a medium Sunday/TR450 is a really friggen small bike and an appropriate reach figure lets me have a fork that absorbs impacts. Now every joint in my fingers, wrists and elbows is shot, maybe I should have experimented with longer reach bikes sooner.
Maybe. But the bike industry likes to iterate with all the risk-taking of a neurotic fearful Chihuahua that's already pissed itself twice. So here we are 10-20 years later with shit that's finally balanced. Sort of.

Remember....Innovate, Or Die.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Trails have also changed quite a bit in a lot of places. The bike I ride today wouldn't fit through some of the trails I was riding 20 years ago.
This bothers me, cause it is true, trails here have gotten easier for big bikes, there is only two trails that have escaped this.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think a lot of it just came down to sizing and ergonomics. I remember it being a groundbreaking experience the first time I rode handlebars wider than 700mm.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
This bothers me, cause it is true, trails here have gotten easier for big bikes, there is only two trails that have escaped this.
Sad but true. I blame Strava though.
At an official trail here they cut down 50-100 small trees close to the trail because people caught their handlebars too often. I also did sometimes, but that motivated me to try to find lines that were fast and didn't make me clip trees. Stupid me, should have just gotten the chainsaw out. :rolleyes:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Sad but true. I blame Strava though.
At an official trail here they cut down 50-100 small trees close to the trail because people caught their handlebars too often. I also did sometimes, but that motivated me to try to find lines that were fast and didn't make me clip trees. Stupid me, should have just gotten the chainsaw out. :rolleyes:
Fuck that type of stuff.

That's not even strava, that's just idiots trying to make shit easier and faster.

Two forests I visit have that same problem, though not to that extent. If I notice a tree goes missing, I pile shit in it place.

Ughhhhhhhh

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
If I notice a tree goes missing, I pile shit in it place.
That is actually not an issue, they conveniently left the 8" stumps as punji sticks, so trail is not widening. Before it was just so tight that even 740 mm handlebars on a 26" bike caused problems. I guess 26/710 would be ideal.
I assume that the local MTB club that builds and maintains the trails cut the trees because everybody rides XC 29ers with 760-780 mm handlebars. In some spots a 740 was a tight fit in between two of these small trees.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
I think a lot of it just came down to sizing and ergonomics. I remember it being a groundbreaking experience the first time I rode handlebars wider than 700mm.
back in the early - mid 90's i was in xc mode (as was pretty much everyone at the time) cut down (sub 600mm) flat bar (risers were lame) with bar ends, long (150mm) flat stems, etc. and we rode the shore (sketchily) on this janky gear. i remember the first ride i swapped the cockpit out with a short (75mm) stem & riser bar (probably 660-680mm); *such* a revelation.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
That is actually not an issue, they conveniently left the 8" stumps as punji sticks, so trail is not widening. Before it was just so tight that even 740 mm handlebars on a 26" bike caused problems. I guess 26/710 would be ideal.
I assume that the local MTB club that builds and maintains the trails cut the trees because everybody rides XC 29ers with 760-780 mm handlebars. In some spots a 740 was a tight fit in between two of these small trees.
No trail building group should be leaving punji sticks. Sigh. :(

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!