Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That's the Sur-ron electric dirtbike. Up front it has a 40mm wide 26" carbon rim with the only currently available 26×3" DH casing tire, the Duro Wildlife. Not great but okay and way lighter and faster rolling than the 21" moto options.
Theres a way to cut it to make it suck a little less.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I still want to see your Freeride and Sur Ron. I’ll show you mine if you show me yours! Those are more DH than most of the stuff we talk about here, right?
Freeride.jpg

The Freeride's biggest problem is its steep head angle. Since this photo I've put on a taller front tire, shorter rear tire, stiffer fork springs, and lower handlebar. All that really improved the handling downhill or at speed. Next up is an air fork to drop weight and better dial in spring rate.

Sur-ron.jpg

Since this photo it's gotten a plastic skid plate cuz the stocker got pretty bent and a DHX2 with Ti spring.

Sur-ron 2.jpg

And here's my Hawaii Sur-ron with a slightly more budget build.

Attachments

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
The Freeride's biggest problem is its steep head angle. Since this photo I've put on a taller front tire, shorter rear tire, stiffer fork springs, and lower handlebar. All that really improved the handling downhill or at speed. Next up is an air fork to drop weight and better dial in spring rate.

Since this photo it's gotten a plastic skid plate cuz the stocker got pretty bent and a DHX2 with Ti spring.

And here's my Hawaii Sur-ron with a slightly more budget build.
Nice quiver!

I have been thinking about a Sur Ron and we even got my Dad one for a more fun way to do physio for his Parkinson’s. It just seems kinda small? Are you happy with the size after your mods? I’ve been using trials bikes with long range kits and enduro tires or a 350 Freeride for little bike stuff. It’s way too steep and wet here for me to be comfy on trials tires. I started looking for light carcass enduro tires. The Mitas tires are nice, btw.

350 Freeride
E7C70AAB-414B-4DBA-BB5E-7B7B3628FC46.jpeg

Beta Rev 250

102FF12A-7593-4C8C-9D3D-9006EBBB50E3.jpeg

I would love to put a better fork on the front of Freeride! Are you thinking of putting an air fork from an 85sx or something? What about an angled headset? Or a taller upper crown?
Did you put hand brakes on the Freeride? Sorry for all the questions, haha! We do a lot of shuttling and multi bike missions in the fall so all our funny bikes are out and getting used.

Bikes in the morning. Last year we’re riding powder down through this forest around this time!

4FAF148F-323D-4BF1-ABC8-D0CFC04B8E84.jpeg

I put a Clake slr lhrb on my 300 and managed to get down most of the WC track in Champery last night on it. Here’s the lever setup I’m trying to figure out. Egos are far from optimal but it’s getting there.
96DE2AB6-C86A-4DFD-86AA-94F52BA5CE41.jpeg

My brother and I rode mtb in the morning yesterday and moto in the afternoon to pick up the shuttle trucks. We definitely took the long way!
AAF23FFE-2136-4A66-93DF-16DC43E6A7BC.jpeg

E6CD41AE-CF45-40B1-BF6B-25529ACFC6EF.jpeg

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Um, does the throttle not compensate for the steep head angle...? That's typically how I take care of issues even on steep downhill sections.
The Freeride is a hybrid trials/enduro bike with a tiny soft fork. The steep head angle plus the soft compression fork limits it a little bit going down but makes it pretty cool going up. Some people put offset bearing cups to slacken it from Cheney Engineering.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Looks like you're having a fun extended Fall.

I'll look into the offset headset for the Freeride. The air forks would come from an 85 and need a travel limiting spacer. I use very little throttle and low revs when I dirtbike, especially downhill, and want my motos to handle like my MTBs. I did a handbrake on the Freeride and Rekluse.

The Sur-ron works fine after the mods but feels like riding a 1 size too short DH bike. For reference I ride a size large Gambler and Ransom. It's worth it though cuz nothing else exists like it, except maybe the Cake but that's 35lbs heavier. Compared to a normal moto I love how little drag there is off throttle, how light the front end is, and how precise power delivery is. Those combine to make it so easy and fun to wheelie and hop over every little feature on the trail.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
*opens video*. damn, that's some really impressive riding; unlike a lot of vids that simply treat them as self-shuttle rigs, this really leverages the capability of the ebike to push moves / lines otherwise undoable on regular bikes. a lot more like moto trials i guess. pretty neat (to this non ebike owner).

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
*opens video*. damn, that's some really impressive riding; unlike a lot of vids that simply treat them as self-shuttle rigs, this really leverages the capability of the ebike to push moves / lines otherwise undoable on regular bikes. a lot more like moto trials i guess. pretty neat (to this non ebike owner).
Agreed! I think even the most ferocious anti-eBikes people out there should have their mind blown by the riding in this video.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
I don't see why they wouldn't do that if the frame itself didn't update between years and they hadn't shipped the bike yet. Where I work has taken finished goods inventory that hasn't moved in a while and stripped it to build a configuration/color that is selling.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Stripping the paint off of a 2019, repainting it and calling it a 2020 is weird. Is that a common practice for aluminum frames?

nordest does that too if you want a custom color

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
looks just like every single other video of his. he's just doing a whole lot more pedaling in this one...
Yes, I agree! I don’t think he could ride many of these crazy uphills on a regular bike however. Also, a DH video with an eBike would be lame AF. :)

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Put that chain on a bike with some Z-torque cranks, absolute black oval ring, their magic super-lube, and these wheels: https://bikerumor.com/2020/11/23/super-wheel-springs-to-life-w-weight-to-energy-conversion-possible-e-bike-alternative/?fbclid=IwAR1jOS216W5ndO3A-Ni7q5rgXf_BB_OhSkXdUu18Xh_utXb_97Gdtu19QQ0

You'd be at about 134% efficiency by my calculations. Enough that you wouldn't even need an e-bike.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Put that chain on a bike with some Z-torque cranks, absolute black oval ring, their magic super-lube, and these wheels: https://bikerumor.com/2020/11/23/super-wheel-springs-to-life-w-weight-to-energy-conversion-possible-e-bike-alternative/?fbclid=IwAR1jOS216W5ndO3A-Ni7q5rgXf_BB_OhSkXdUu18Xh_utXb_97Gdtu19QQ0

You'd be at about 134% efficiency by my calculations. Enough that you wouldn't even need an e-bike.
What would happen if you put all that on an Ellsworth trail bike? You'd probably just loop out as soon as you tried to pedal I suppose...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
What would happen if you put all that on an Ellsworth trail bike? You'd probably just loop out as soon as you tried to pedal I suppose...
Uh fuck yeah, those bikes are "up to 100% efficient" according to Tony. We might even be able to get up to around 200% efficiency overall.