Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Ah ha. I just realized this is a height thing.
Partly... but not really.
When my 210mm dropper is dropped, the saddle is nowhere near my thigh... it’s right below my knee. There’re no clearance issues or chance of my shorts catching on it.
If we're talking cranks level, saddle dropped below your knees is a little too much drop for good control when racing DH.
Great for manuals and no handers though

I used to run a 250mm dropper on a Dirt jump hardtail and use it for XC rides as well as jumps and fucking around on so I absloutely do see the benefit of longer droppers.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If we're talking cranks level, saddle dropped below your knees is a little too much drop for good control when racing DH.
Great for manuals and no handers though
dh racers rarely use droppers.

I used to run a 250mm dropper on a Dirt jump hardtail and use it for XC rides as well as jumps and fucking around on so I absloutely do see the benefit of longer droppers.
250? cool story gramps. did you ride it uphill to school both ways?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
pretty much every DH racer uses a dropper.
Very few of the fastest WC DH racers have ever raced with their DH bike saddle set below their knee.
There are good reasons for both of these facts.

250? cool story gramps. did you ride it uphill to school both ways?
I rode it everywhere until it shat itself spectacularly last summer.
It was one of these.

I'm glad you thought my story was cool. Maybe one day you too can have stories of your own.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Very few of the fastest WC DH racers have ever raced with their DH bike saddle set below their knee.
There are good reasons for both of these facts.

I rode it everywhere until it shat itself spectacularly last summer.
It was one of these.

I'm glad you thought my story was cool. Maybe one day you too can have stories of your own.
few DH racers use them on their DH race bike. i think the last WC i saw a dropper on a DH bike was either cairns or Pietermaritzburg.

and oh, the KS exa form that's no longer available? cool.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
few DH racers use them on their DH race bike. i think the last WC i saw a dropper on a DH bike was either cairns or Pietermaritzburg.

and oh, the KS exa form that's no longer available? cool.
Ya gotta admit he got you with the logics. By the same logics, all of them are eating food, so eating food is important for your DH bike.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I think Gary is not saying what you guys thought he said.
Trail bike = DHers using droppers
DH bike = DHers don’t ride with seats below their knees
Simple.

Nino Shurter is starting to use a dropper all the time however, I think errbody should come back to DH so we can share opposing views on the « actual/real » distance of airfeet and airmeters.

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
Scottish Anger Translator™

I think Gary is not saying what you guys thought he said.
Trail bike = DHers using droppers
DH bike = DHers don’t ride with seats below their knees
Simple.

Nino Shurter is starting to use a dropper all the time however, I think errbody should come back to DH so we can share opposing views on the « actual/real » distance of airfeet and airmeters.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Basic English comprehension results are in.
BuckoW - A+
JonKranked - F

Plenty haggis here. Thanks for your concern.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
fun fact: germany has their own variation of hagis, they stuff a pigs stomach in rheinland pfalz (was the fav meal of old chancelor kohl), yet the world only give the scots some flack

1611154864608.jpeg

pfälzer saumagen

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I like how those weekly PB articles on whatever garage built contraption always say the fabricator "chose" to work with steel because of things... and not because it's the easiest and cheapest material to work with as a beginner.

I ride steel hardtails, but find that type of marketing slant disingenuous.

Whoever thought this would be a fair hommage to Ducati, has never seen a Ducati in person...

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I like how those weekly PB articles on whatever garage built contraption always say the fabricator "chose" to work with steel because of things... and not because it's the easiest and cheapest material to work with as a beginner.

I ride steel hardtails, but find that type of marketing slant disingenuous.
Where the heck is the rep button when you need it most???

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
It is depressing to try and give business to my LBS but only to find his stock is on back order and then go online and find it $50 bucks cheaper and at my door in 2-3 business days.

Are LBS's going to start ordering shit off pinkbike for their customers builds?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I know of one local shop that basically does that from time to time.

But right now is probably the worst time in history for sourcing MTB parts due the insane bubble the industry is experiencing.

It is depressing to try and give business to my LBS but only to find his stock is on back order and then go online and find it $50 bucks cheaper and at my door in 2-3 business days.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
marketing ... disingenuous.
Imagine that! Pinkbike sucks the teat of "the industry" while stating out of the corner of their mouths, "no industry affiliations." It's also curious that after so many years they've decided to talk about hardtails again... and anything that's not carbon as interesting and/or has value.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Looks much more like an SE Quadangle than any Ducati I've ever seen.

That reminds me, I still want a Hypermotard.
Yes total quadrangle.
Hypermotards are nightmares.
Their name pisses me off hypermotard? As in hyper > super?? Nope, will get raped hard by a supermotard in the tight

Olly

Monkey
Oct 1, 2015
A few years back (so pre-COVID) I had a suspension company order parts from Germany because the UK distro were out of Monarch Plus spares. They told me they'd been looking on Pinkbike buy/sell too...

Ryan k

Chimp
Dec 16, 2020
random: guy i know used to know the OG VPP designer (james klassen) back when they were building the original protos just over the border in sumas, wa. apparently they had first approached rocky with the rights to the design, who passed on it because they thought it was too expensive (instead going with the RM series platform; oh, how things could have been different...).
Oh really? I've never heard that! That's super interesting, thank you!