Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm kind of surprised by that - the Radek's must have got a nice payout.

PinkBike is the mountain bike site in the english world, from what I can tell. With all the original content and coverage they've put out over the last year or two, it didn't really seem like they needed to be under the umbrella of something else or more budget.

For all the criticism they get sometimes, I hope PB keeps doing what they are doing - original content, decent race coverage, field tests and whatnot. and of course the shitshow of comments on some articles. Oh yeah and the buysell.

Maybe Outside will banish the word downcountry?
i read on one of the announcements that PB is the largest of all mtb sites, by a large margin (in terms of page views). its actually the second largest segment by traffic now that its part of outside, second only to Outside itself.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
"MX Inspired", sold exclusively through powersports dealers, they're not even pretending anymore

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
"MX Inspired", sold exclusively through powersports dealers, they're not even pretending anymore

Whoever could have POSSIBLY seen this coming? :confused: :think: :disgust:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I'm kind of surprised by that - the Radek's must have got a nice payout.

PinkBike is the mountain bike site in the english world, from what I can tell. With all the original content and coverage they've put out over the last year or two, it didn't really seem like they needed to be under the umbrella of something else or more budget.

For all the criticism they get sometimes, I hope PB keeps doing what they are doing - original content, decent race coverage, field tests and whatnot. and of course the shitshow of comments on some articles. Oh yeah and the buysell.

Maybe Outside will banish the word downcountry?
They seem nice? How about

1626306335476.png

:brows:

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
the orbea 2022 presentation in gendered german. you don’t even have a clue how good you have it with a genderless language and no speech nazis who want to change how ppl speak :banghead:
Genuinely interested in how this issue is handled in German and the romance languages. Care to elaborate?

If it makes you feel better, patients are now allowed to fill in whatever they identify as for sex/gender in our medical record. Upside, way moar diversity and inclusion at the gynecology offices!

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
the orbea 2022 presentation in gendered german. you don’t even have a clue how good you have it with a genderless language and no speech nazis who want to change how ppl speak :banghead:
That was the biggest thing tripping me up as an exchange student in 89-90, and not having studied any German beforehand.

Oof. OTOH, I did get placed with a family in Berlin - had a front row seat to the wall coming down shenanigans.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I don't know if this counts as "the industry", but how about the trend of not wearing any body armor in DH racing? You guys probably heard about Pierron being airlifted with banged up organs. Once a few guys stopped wearing protection everyone else stopped because it feels like a disadvantage. I'm guilty of never wearing my Dainese jacket anymore and usually just G-Form elbow and knee pads. Last night I bought an Alpinestars jacket that looks way slimmer in hopes that I'll wear it along with real knee pads and impact shorts any time I'm riding lifts or the Sur-ron. Should DH racing require back, chest, knee, and elbow pads? I'm leaning toward "yes". Otherwise people won't and will get unnecessarily injured. A requirement will also push the industry toward making unobtrusive protection.
https://m.pinkbike.com/news/baptiste-pierron-fractures-4-vertebrae-in-race-run-crash.html
Has his brother been released from the hospital yet? Mandatory body armor I say!

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
That was the biggest thing tripping me up as an exchange student in 89-90, and not having studied any German beforehand.

Oof. OTOH, I did get placed with a family in Berlin - had a front row seat to the wall coming down shenanigans.
no you don’t understand, thats normal german. every noun describing a person is either female or male. but the plural version is always male. now woke people wanna include the women in speech, so for example what used to be fahrer (riders) is now fahrer_innen and they speak it fahrer (pause) innen. this is not proper grammar, but woke grammar. no one speaks like that in real life. but it was used in this presentation, a lot.

Last edited:

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
no you don’t understand, thats normal german. every noun describing a person is either female or male. but the plural version is always male. now woke people wanna include the women in speech, so for example what used to be fahrer (riders) is now fahrer_innen and they speak it fahrer (pause) innen. this is not proper grammar, but woke grammar. no one speaks like that in real life. but it was used in this presentation, a lot.
Ah! Got it!

I left after 11 months with a basic conversational fluency, that sadly has not had much use since.
Meine Grammatik ist wie Scheisse, aber Vocabular ist nicht so schlimm.

This many years later, it's pretty bad. With a native or much more practiced fluent speaker, I always have to ask them Bitte, Konnen Sie sprechen ein bisschen langsam?

Didn't help that most of the time was spent in Berlin, but the last few months down in Landau. My "accent" if you even want to call it such, is all fucked up.

Last edited:

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
That must have been a heck of an experience. I remember the thousands of abandoned Trabants in the streets of Prague during the exodus through the West German embassy there.
It was amazing, and really taught me so much. Going over there as a typical snotty American 15 year old opened my eyes. Seeing how many of our service members (and their families) behaved was cringe inducing, and I began to understand why most of the rest of the world thinks we are assholes.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
As though pinkbike hasn’t been monetized all this time. Every “article” is product placement and/or straight marketing/advertising. Not to mention tracking and surveys. Now, they want you to pay them too. Hahaha.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
As though pinkbike hasn’t been monetized all this time. Every “article” is product placement and/or straight marketing/advertising. Not to mention tracking and surveys. Now, they want you to pay them too. Hahaha.
they're referring to paywalling articles. ads are necessary to KTLO.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm ambivalent on PB for a while now. I feel like they've drifted closer to the american bike mag trend of "Every bike we test is great, because it was free for us" mentality. I hope there are still bastions of grunginess out there on the internet for people to say "This bike/tire/fork sucks" without repercussion

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I think that's why some people are upset over it. The advertising and collecting of information was clearly working, from my view as a total stranger. Otherwise their original content and constant hiring of more people wouldn't be happening.

And now everyone is assuming that that model is going to do a 180 and we'll (the subscribers) be on the hook for covering those costs somewhat.

All the surveys are complete money grabs haha. That is info being fed directly into the system.

I enjoy Pinkbike's original content and take it for what its worth most of time - time killing entertainment. And as some others have mentioned, there is a community of readers and commenters on Pinkbike that no other mountain bike website has. I'm crossing my fingers and just blindly hoping that not much changes in the near future, the content is still published for free and that the paywall will be minimal or nonexistent (lol).

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Based on some of their recent comments about more detailed testing including machine measurement coming in the future, I think it's likely to be tests/review type content that will get paywalled. IE, initial review is ungated, premium membership gets you data/graphs etc.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm ambivalent on PB for a while now. I feel like they've drifted closer to the american bike mag trend of "Every bike we test is great, because it was free for us" mentality. I hope there are still bastions of grunginess out there on the internet for people to say "This bike/tire/fork sucks" without repercussion
another aspect of that is that by and large, bikes are really good these days.

the last product i remember that was truly DOA was the crank bros kronolog dropper, and that's been years.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the only bike i can think of recently that had some proper design flaws was that pole bike that got derped in PB's huck test, but it sounded like that issue was fixed?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If it happens it'll be the fault of everyone who paid for Trailforks instead of deleting it.
trailforks actually provides value for what you're paying for. plus its integrated into garmin's bike computers, which is a pretty compelling feature.

besides, its not like anyone had the foresight to anticipate pb/tf was going to sell out at the time.