Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Torx head fasteners usually have shallow engagement and are more of a liability than an asset. Trash bin.
Yep.....and also what driver (hex) works more adequately in lower grade and hardness steels which inevitably is something that one encounters when using various drivers????

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
It's like in order to get some work done I need a PC and a Mac. Eff that. :D

The worst is when the bolt is small and is recessed and you can't tell what kind of bolt it is. Sometimes a hex works on a torx, but you didn't know it was a torx. And vice versa.

Whoops! Hope I didn't ruin anything!

This is why we can't have nice things!

:D

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I used to be all aboard the Torx bandwagon, until on my new AXS dropper post they put in a T25 for the rail clamp bolt with a torque rating of 12 n-m. Came damn close to stripping it the first time I tried to loosen it (with a good Wera Torx L-wrench). Torx is fine for low torque stuff (~5 n-m), but I want deeper hex for anything above that.
For that matter, could do without socket cap head screws on any vehicle dirt related. If it weren't for the fact that allen key multi tools are lighter to carry, I'd want everything to be a flanged hex head so nothing could get filled with dirt.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
It's like in order to get some work done I need a PC and a Mac. Eff that. :D

The worst is when the bolt is small and is recessed and you can't tell what kind of bolt it is. Sometimes a hex works on a torx, but you didn't know it was a torx. And vice versa.

Whoops! Hope I didn't ruin anything!

This is why we can't have nice things!

:D
I usually grab a torx bit whenever I round an Allen bolt. The little flanges have a better purchase on the key hole.

TL/DR: "ribbed for her pleasure" 8-)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
less likely to damage the bolt or tool for a given torque value compared to hex.
Yes Because everything on a bike needs as many ugga duggas as possible. I'd much rather break a stem/handlebar/seat clamp while riding than strip the head on a $0.32 screw.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Torque specs mean fuck all on dirt covered threads with questionable allowables in the material with unknown thread engagement, grease/patchlock and a less than perfectly calibrated torque wrench.

If something in this application is made so that it's torque sensitive, it's designed wrong. Machined gaps are easy to control and normal human hands are decent at getting a bolt to strain enough.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Torque specs mean fuck all on dirt covered threads with questionable allowables in the material with unknown thread engagement, grease/patchlock and a less than perfectly calibrated torque wrench.

If something in this application is made so that it's torque sensitive, it's designed wrong. Machined gaps are easy to control and normal human hands are decent at getting a bolt to strain enough.

I'd say that the average cyclist really needs hi-lok fasteners to protect themselves from themselves.

1629863362977.png

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
He's indoctrinating us in preparation for Scott's new handlebar/stem/steerer standard that allows for total internal cabling at the cost of your relationship with your shop mechanic.
Haha, I don’t even run the bars but I think I did see them on your bike.

I just liked the part about victimhood and complaining about parts one probably would not buy.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle

Back in my shop days, a customer saw me working on his bike without a torque wrench. He made a fuss, and my boss just told him, totally deadpan, that "I sent him in for calibration last week".

Glenn was a good boss.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
For that matter, could do without socket cap head screws on any vehicle dirt related. If it weren't for the fact that allen key multi tools are lighter to carry, I'd want everything to be a flanged hex head so nothing could get filled with dirt.
Or bolts with a hex on the inside and out.... some German motorcycles have some fasteners this way.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Or bolts with a hex on the inside and out.... some German motorcycles have some fasteners this way.
I rode a BMW GS across Alaska this summer. It pissed me off pretty good that there were ONLY Torx-head bolts on the bike. I could see being stuck somewhere on the Denali Highway trying to get a lever re-mounted with a bear chasing me in circles around the bike as I wait for someone to drive from 6 hours away with a fucking Torx set.

Pretty impressive bikes aside from that though.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I'm not sure these are what's wrong with the industry but I hate these things, it just looks like the most idiotic design.
In my E-Engineer mind the highest load on a stem is going to be downwards and maybe some forwards loading, so why would you cut so much out of the stem body and have so much force transferred to bolts and the faceplates?

1629883048031.png

I am no doubt missing something, I know they are zero gap at the bottom but surely those faceplates have to move around a bit.......?
This looks far more sensible but adding almost an Ounce would no doubt cost most riders a few KOMs.
1629883470163.png

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I rode a BMW GS across Alaska this summer. It pissed me off pretty good that there were ONLY Torx-head bolts on the bike. I could see being stuck somewhere on the Denali Highway trying to get a lever re-mounted with a bear chasing me in circles around the bike as I wait for someone to drive from 6 hours away with a fucking Torx set.

Say hello to your little friend Mr. Grizz.....
Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 5.18.34 AM.png

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

at least torx doesn't come in both imperial and metric.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm not sure these are what's wrong with the industry but I hate these things, it just looks like the most idiotic design.
In my E-Engineer mind the highest load on a stem is going to be downwards and maybe some forwards loading, so why would you cut so much out of the stem body and have so much force transferred to bolts and the faceplates?

View attachment 163978

I am no doubt missing something, I know they are zero gap at the bottom but surely those faceplates have to move around a bit.......?
This looks far more sensible but adding almost an Ounce would no doubt cost most riders a few KOMs.
View attachment 163979
Or:

1629906226373.png

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

View attachment 163978

View attachment 163979
Sounds like you have the expertise to start your own stem company.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Back in my shop days, a customer saw me working on his bike without a torque wrench. He made a fuss, and my boss just told him, totally deadpan, that "I sent him in for calibration last week".
I remember a buddy who acquired himself a torque wrench that was hopelessly out of calibration and blindly following it despite alarm bell inducing levels of torque required to make it click. We had to use screw extractors to remove snapped 888 crown bolts on two bikes he'd used it on. I still remember him throwing it across the room after we compared it to a recently calibrated torque wrench haha.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I remember a buddy who acquired himself a torque wrench that was hopelessly out of calibration and blindly following it despite alarm bell inducing levels of torque required to make it click. We had to use screw extractors to remove snapped 888 crown bolts on two bikes he'd used it on. I still remember him throwing it across the room after we compared it to a recently calibrated torque wrench haha.
The nice thing about beam style torque wrenches is you don't need to worry about calibration as long as it's zeroed.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It is a poopdeck, but oh well.

Gotta make the name blatantly ridiculous, like MakeYourOwn "MYO"

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006

View attachment 163978

Majority of the load in the faceplate comes from hoop stress from tightening the fasteners. 4 fasteners that can all more or less suspend the mass of a car in tension, going to about half of their load capacity (as a guess) versus....you. So two cars against the highest energy input you can put into a set of bars. I'm betting the bolts and the cross section of the aluminum still wins, even if you're a 300lb potato.

And zero gap is great and should be used everywhere, especially with carbon bars. Nice that it's marked too.

Why would the faceplate move around at all? There's a handlebar in the way.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Mercedes AMG making a top quality god looking bike stand that does fit only tires up to 38mm wide. What were they thinking? This is clearly a discrimination towards mountain bikers. :butcher:
bike-stand-5.jpg

Yours for 650usd only :brows: