Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
How long can companies keep living off of that excuse? It doesn't look like that is what is happening here.

"oh sorry, we can't get xyxz part, so here is a lower cost one, that we can get, but don't worry, you're still paying for the more expensive one!"

Even if it is a valid excuse and they cannot get the desired parts, the cost of the bike should reflect that.

And if I read into it correctly, they are using bog standard Shimano batteries and motors. So they will have next to no R&D costs for that, as its essentially already been outsourced and produced; all they have to do it make sure their bolts holes line up.

There is no question that if you buy a Yeti, a portion of your money is paying for the Yeti name. Same thing with Santa Cruz. And props to them for that, they've built a solid customer and reputation base, but at least give a little more value for what people are paying. :)
But you know the answer. They will run with it till they can no longer get away with it.

Trust blamed everything but their shitty forks.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
@jonKranked whenever somebody criticizes Yeti:

the only yeti i own is metal from when they were still made in the US. not on my list of future bikes. cool for sure, but not my thing.

i'm just saying their bikes aren't priced the way the are because of a few mid-tier parts, but that when you put mid tier parts on an expensive frame you're going to wind up with a really high MSRP.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
the only yeti i own is metal from when they were still made in the US. not on my list of future bikes. cool for sure, but not my thing.

i'm just saying their bikes aren't priced the way the are because of a few mid-tier parts, but that when you put mid tier parts on an expensive frame you're going to wind up with a really high MSRP.
Why are they more expensive than others though? Their frames appear to be made in the same factory as other brands such as Ibis, Niner, Intense, Specialized, Enve, Devinci etc.

They at least don't appear to source anything from Myanmar, unlike Evil and some others.

https://www.importyeti.com/company/yeti-cycles

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Why are they more expensive than others though? Their frames appear to be made in the same factory as other brands such as Ibis, Niner, Intense, Specialized, Enve, Devinci etc.

They at least don't appear to source anything from Myanmar, unlike Evil and some others.

https://www.importyeti.com/company/yeti-cycles
R&D? that shit ain't cheap. i remember hearing an interview w/ the owners on a podcast that they are focused on high end, spare no expense kid of designs. while there are plenty of low cost options, they chose not to focus on that segment.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
How long can companies keep living off of that excuse? It doesn't look like that is what is happening here.

"oh sorry, we can't get xyxz part, so here is a lower cost one, that we can get, but don't worry, you're still paying for the more expensive one!"
They'll keep doing it as long as people keep paying it.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
Quoted for truth. And unless you work in this business you probably don't have an idea just how high the demand is and just how low the supply is.

The spot where the lines on that graph intersect at this very moment is next to the Y-axis and about a mile above the top of your computer screen.

Complete shitshow.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Complain all you want about the spec level. You'll be proven right if they sit on the shelves unsold for months. You really reckon that will happen? They could put full Deore spec on a $12K bike right now and just having it available would mean it will sell.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Quoted for truth. And unless you work in this business you probably don't have an idea just how high the demand is and just how low the supply is.

The spot where the lines on that graph intersect at this very moment is next to the Y-axis and about a mile above the top of your computer screen.

Complete shitshow.
there is supply, just commit to ordering bikes for few million, 1-2 years in advance. small shops won’t survive this. we throve this year, grew from 24 employees in spring to now 37. gonna build 4 more work spaces over the winter to keep up with business. key is to sell everywhere, online and offline. and having stock, lots off.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I am incensed that something I have no interest in at any price is so expensive. It is my right as an american consumer to have access to cheap shit I neither want or need to fill the void of existence.

I am also angry that Intense is selling cheap bikes at Costco because I need to be seen as living an exclusive lifestyle.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I am incensed that something I have no interest in at any price is so expensive. It is my right as an american consumer to have access to cheap shit I neither or want or need to fill the void of existence.

I am also angry that Intense is selling cheap bikes at Costco because I need to be seen as living an exclusive lifestyle.
Sounds like you are trying to REEEEEEEEEE

clippy.0.jpg

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
just got an email blast from my local bike park. next years seasons pass preseason price is up $100 from $200 to $300. they added 2 new partial trails this year.
I'm hearing rumors that my local bike park, Keystone, isn't gonna open next year. Vail Corp hates bikes. It must kill them that they have to operate the Whistler bike park.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'm hearing rumors that my local bike park, Keystone, isn't gonna open next year. Vail Corp hates bikes. It must kill them that they have to operate the Whistler bike park.

I assume that the big ski resort companies actually make all their money from black market cocaine sales. All they need to do is figure out how to go big on the dentile e-bike market.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I assume that the big ski resort companies actually make all their money from black market cocaine sales. All they need to do is figure out how to go big on the dentile e-bike market.
I'm baffled that they're still repeating the same line from 2004, "There's no money to be made in running a bike park. DHers are poor dirtbags who only buy a lift ticket, then drink beers they brought in the parking lot." They're oblivious that $10k+ bikes are a common thing and places like Whistler and Winter Park* are full of dentists and their families eating $20 burgers between laps of the flow trail.
It's extra baffling now that Vail Corp OWNS Whistler. On the one hand they own a profitable bike park. On the other they don't see the potential for profit at an existing bike park (Keystone) an hour or so away from a massive, growing, wealthy, and MTB crazy market (Denver area). Am I missing something or are the people who call the summer shots at Vail bike-hating idiots who just don't want to make money?

*A lift ticket was $80 at Winter Park this year and enough people were paying for them to run 3 lifts every day.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'm baffled that they're still repeating the same line from 2004, "There's no money to be made in running a bike park. DHers are poor dirtbags who only buy a lift ticket, then drink beers they brought in the parking lot." They're oblivious that $10k+ bikes are a common thing and places like Whistler and Winter Park* are full of dentists and their families eating $20 burgers between laps of the flow trail.
It's extra baffling now that Vail Corp OWNS Whistler. On the one hand they own a profitable bike park. On the other they don't see the potential for profit at an existing bike park (Keystone) an hour or so away from a massive, growing, wealthy, and MTB crazy market (Denver area). Am I missing something or are the people who call the summer shots at Vail bike-hating idiots who just don't want to make money?

*A lift ticket was $80 at Winter Park this year and enough people were paying for them to run 3 lifts every day.

Vail failed to open our local bike park for *reasons* that don't make sense. Personally I don't care as I am not interested in lift assisted flow trails, or flow trails in general. But many panties have been bunched. I am only pissed as it has driven demand for non lift assisted flow trails.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
1 fucking bike gondola for every 5 hiker ones. That’s all you need to know about Whistler. It’s a never ending steam of “hikers” going to the top and they don’t require jumps and trails to be built and maintained.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I haven't been to Keystone this year, but have been to Crested Butte and Vail (both owned by Vail Resorts - I didn't know CB was purchased, but as an Epic Pass holder, totally stoked!)

Mind you, it was Labor Day weekend, but Vail was packed! So many bikers, hikers, and international tour-ons. I thought that biking was actually catching on and gaining popularity. They spent money on new blue/green trails and a new hiking trail. Plus someone told me they re-routed Grand Traverse trail to make it easier to get to Two Elks trail. So I think at least Vail (the resort/town) is in "investment" mode.

CB's bike park is great. Probably the only one in the state that I'd prefer a DH bike vs. Enduro. Like, it's that good. Again, I see "investment" mode.

It makes no sense to close down Keystone. Unless they just don't get the visitors. There's not really any dedicated hiking trails. Very small base with limited restaurants and shops. As a DH'er it's great. As a family vacationer that doesn't bike? Not sure what they do? Pay to ride the lift to the top and play cornhole while sipping beer and enjoying the scenery? I guess....

I'd still rather do Keystone than WP. And I'd rather do Granby Ranch that WP. But that's just me.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
This isn't about Keystone specifically, but all resorts have to be hurting financially after 18 months of severely-decreased traffic. Obviously, a giant company like Vail has plenty of loan opportunities to weather this but at some point, the bean counters may choose to kill a property / revenue stream or two. They are probably leveraged up to their armpits already.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
1 fucking bike gondola for every 5 hiker ones. That’s all you need to know about Whistler. It’s a never ending steam of “hikers” going to the top and they don’t require jumps and trails to be built and maintained.
True story and frustrating as hell. I refuse to go to Whistler on the weekends because of this.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
True story and frustrating as hell. I refuse to go to Whistler on the weekends because of this.
yeah, despite being 1.5 hrs from whistler, i'm done with park weekends there. i want to ride my bike, not pay a premium to stand in endless lines. was up @ sunpeaks & kickinghorse a couple weeks ago; soooo refreshing - next to zero lines & unclogged amenities.