Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Gotcha. So this is new new then? Does it require a new tool as well?
As I posted in October of last year when we had this discussion one time before:
The XTR (39 mm) and new XT (41 mm) ones are different. Old BB diameter was 44 mm. So 3 different ones needed.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
So his trailbuilding efforts WERE good and he did a lot of good. The thing is he would go out of his way to be an ass about everything, boasting and just egging people on. He would go to the real screwed up sections in Sedona where there was no way possible to do them and rehab them. The end result may have "seemed" a little sanitized for people watching at home, but you go ride the trail and you realize that the section was just way beyond hope. It's an on-going process where stuff erodes, becomes more techy, but eventually degrades to the point where it's just a trainwreck. He was fixing trainwreck spots, but he was boasting about how he was santizing it and dumbing it down and so on. He really wasn't, he was just trying to push people's buttons. Well, he pushed the Forest Service's button and they took him to court. I forget if he spent jail time, but he was banned from the forest for something like at least a year. He also did a lot of work making stuff that would later be incorporated into the official trail network. His beef was that the boyfriend of the regional ranger was also making "illegal" trails, and he didn't go to jail or get fined...but again, John was out there trying to push everyone's buttons and basically looking for a fight...which he eventually got.
funny enough my search turned up an article in my local paper from 2015, which means I probably read about this before! ha

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
according to park tool, XTR/Dura-Ace and XT/Ultegra are different sizes, and both are different than the original hollowtech II external BB

View attachment 171034

View attachment 171035

[edit] https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/bottom-bracket-tool-selection-threaded-and-thread-together [/edit]

this also jives with what Abbey has posted for their BB sockets:

View attachment 171036
Thanks for the update. I do like hollowtech II very much. I guess/hope they're still producing them, so we're cool w/ that for a while yet.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Thanks for the update. I do like hollowtech II very much. I guess/hope they're still producing them, so we're cool w/ that for a while yet.
for the current iterations of their drivetrains, only Saint, Zee, and Deore still use hollowtech II. SLX doesn't have its own BB and uses XT.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Sorry. Its the weekend here. (Thursday).
I was a somewhat pre-occupied and clearly too hasty in my reply.
Thanks for re-educating me.

ezgif-5-3232eeda1a.gif

Ive actually got the tools for all 3 as well.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
according to park tool, XTR/Dura-Ace and XT/Ultegra are different sizes, and both are different than the original hollowtech II external BB

View attachment 171034

View attachment 171035

[edit] https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/bottom-bracket-tool-selection-threaded-and-thread-together [/edit]

View attachment 171036
Well that's nonsense bullshit. Didn't realize they'd made the road BB's needlessly different from the MTB's.

If only someone else had pointed this out earlier.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Now I need to go and check my remaining pile of those adapters because I've definitely ordered XTR and XT versions before.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia

View attachment 171034

View attachment 171035

View attachment 171036
Ive actually got the tools for all 3 as well.
1643317269296.png

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
These will work moar better and really screw up those splines;

Crank her down and give it the beans
Naw, too rounded.

This is what I'm using, the angles will really dig into that soft aluminum like butter and like god intended.

1643346657484.png

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
I got the plastic adaptor so I could use my BB spanner, less than ideal and already starting to die. It was cheap and feels like a 3D print.
I’ve had a bad run of burning through non-drive side bearings, getting about 6 months. A lot of bike washing due to all the muddy UK rides. These are mainly the previous gen XT BBs. I haven’t run the new XT BB for long enough to see if it lasts longer. Just got one of the older gen BBs cheap to go in the spare box, so still see myself switching between the 2 options.
So it looks like I need to get one of those Spanner’s from toodlestools.com

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Regarding the new spline interface for the Shimano XT BB (BB-MT800), it matches the splines of the direct mount chainring lockring for the new crankset (FC-M81XX-1). I think it's better to buy the ParkTool LRT-4.

You can use the LRT-4 for the lockring and BB, but you can't mount the lockring with the BBT59.2.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
When did Maxxis change the Exo+ from 120tpi with silkshield to 60tpi with a heavier exo layer? I guess I'm just a little slow, but I do not remember this. I have an original Exo+ and I liked it better than the same thing in Exo when doing a back to back. Thought it had a better feel. I need new shoes for the trailbike and I looked and both Assegai and Dissector are both showing as 60tpi. The only 120 is DD.

Old
1643568345095.png

New
1643568377468.png

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
When did Maxxis change the Exo+ from 120tpi with silkshield to 60tpi with a heavier exo layer? I guess I'm just a little slow, but I do not remember this. I have an original Exo+ and I liked it better than the same thing in Exo when doing a back to back. Thought it had a better feel. I need new shoes for the trailbike and I looked and both Assegai and Dissector are both showing as 60tpi. The only 120 is DD.

Old
View attachment 171185

New
View attachment 171186
Hmm...Didn't realize that. And I consider myself a Maxxis nerd. :D

To be fair, I've just been buying what has a discount price. These days, I'm just sticking to Minion or DHR in DH or EXO. The DH casing goes on the back, EXO on the front. If I have to go EXO on the rear, then CushCore gets involved. All depending. But right now, there's too much snow/ice/mud to really go full speed, so no real need for DH casing.

These crazy days, I just buy what I can get and know and love and hopefully not pay full retail :)

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI

Old
View attachment 171185

New
View attachment 171186
That sucks. The knock on EXO has always been that the middle of the tread is just a XC casing and gets punctures. EXO+ fixed that with an option for people who didn't need the thicker DD casing.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
to be honest, anyone riding their bike at all the way it's meant to be ridden, unless it's a pure xc bike ridden somewhere with no rox, probably would be best served by doubledown. i know for me it's been one of the most set it and forget it things i've ever done, along with xt cranks and hope/ex471 wheels.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
to be honest, anyone riding their bike at all the way it's meant to be ridden, unless it's a pure xc bike ridden somewhere with no rox, probably would be best served by doubledown. i know for me it's been one of the most set it and forget it things i've ever done, along with xt cranks and hope/ex471 wheels.
I don't think the EXO is bad, but it depends on several factors and they aren't the tire to go ripping down a typical "black" trail and when they start doing stuff like EXO, EXO+, DD and DH...it seems more like it's just getting ridiculous for splitting hairs. You can't really choose your usage "that" finely IMO.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
when they start doing stuff like EXO, EXO+, DD and DH...it seems more like it's just getting ridiculous for splitting hairs. You can't really choose your usage "that" finely IMO.
Disagree - you totally can, I'm with @Lelandjt and currently use the EXO+ front with DD rear on my compromise-duro bike.

Big fan of Schwalbe's SuperGravity casings for DH, if anything I think EXO+, DD, and SG are some of the most useful introductions in MTB rubber tech. Most people don't need full DH casings with dead-weight wire beads, and everything EXO and thinner/lighter is useless for decent riding.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Disagree - you totally can, I'm with @Lelandjt and currently use the EXO+ front with DD rear on my compromise-duro bike.

Big fan of Schwalbe's SuperGravity casings for DH, if anything I think EXO+, DD, and SG are some of the most useful introductions in MTB rubber tech. Most people don't need full DH casings with dead-weight wire beads, and everything EXO and thinner/lighter is useless for decent riding.
@Udi , ridemonkey famous seeing hairs and splitting them ;)

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

Old
View attachment 171185

New
View attachment 171186
That sucks. The knock on EXO has always been that the middle of the tread is just a XC casing and gets punctures. EXO+ fixed that with an option for people who didn't need the thicker DD casing.
This is interesting. I jumped on the EXO+ w inserts bandwagon last year, and it didn't work out for me. While I didn't pick up any pinch flats, I managed to puncture the casing at the tread a few times. My conclusion was that the 120tpi casing is very supple and thin, and not as robust as I needed.

This is why I switched to a Specialized Butcher Grid Trail T7. Similar construction to the EXO+, but uses a 60tpi casing (or maybe it's a 50tpi - I'm not 100% certain).

@mykel, I still have a couple of new, unmounted 27.5 2.4 DHR2 in the "old" EXO+... I think we're both in Ontario. If you're interested, I'd be willing to sell them...

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
This is interesting. I jumped on the EXO+ w inserts bandwagon last year, and it didn't work out for me. While I didn't pick up any pinch flats, I managed to puncture the casing at the tread a few times. My conclusion was that the 120tpi casing is very supple and thin, and not as robust as I needed.

This is why I switched to a Specialized Butcher Grid Trail T7. Similar construction to the EXO+, but uses a 60tpi casing (or maybe it's a 50tpi - I'm not 100% certain).

@mykel, I still have a couple of new, unmounted 27.5 2.4 DHR2 in the "old" EXO+... I think we're both in Ontario. If you're interested, I'd be willing to sell them...
Thank-you for the offer.
Unfortunately(?), the trailbike is Wagon-wheeled, so a nogo.
Cheers!

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
Big fan of Schwalbe's SuperGravity casings for DH
SG's are burly; just swapped out a dead SG MM for a DHR2 DH; the schwalbe has a beefier sidewall. was a bit surprised the maxxis DH wasn't a bit more stout, actually. the schwalbe DH carcass must be proper chunky.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
This is my set up as well. Obviously this is one of those things that depends on your weight, riding style, appetite for faffing, etc. The trick is finding a good mix of durability, weight, and ease of use, and this works pretty well for me and my hacktastic 195 lb carcass. With Exo+ front and DD rear I actually wear out tires rather than shred them.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I can get away with DD in the rear and an EXO Assegai in front... however I was planning to try the EXO+ Assguy next purely for increased puncture protection on the tread. :mad: