Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
This is what's wrong for too long.

Vital gives it 4.5 stars. But in 3-4 years when RS still sucks at droppers, Vital (and the other suckers) will admit to the fact that this current post had a shit-ton of problems too.

Last edited:

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Mt St Anne cross country course is legit, steep and technical. There were actually racers walking sections that were under the gondola. I would love to have trails like that to ride near me.

A friend of mine had these gum tires on his Gary Fischer Grateful dead edition in the 90's
b5d74ac2862eed8b7ccb668296573dde.jpg

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Why is this in the wrong thread? These Tioga Psycho K in the soft compound were really good for the time. Some even say they are the inspiration for the Minion. They railed corners like no other tire at the time. Major drawbacks were that they were not lasting long and I had little luck sourcing the 2.1 in Europe, so mainly had to run the 1.95.

A friend of mine had these gum tires on his Gary Fischer Grateful dead edition in the 90's
View attachment 145263

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Vital gives it 4.5 stars. But in 3-4 years when RS still sucks at droppers, Vital (and the other suckers) will admit to the fact that this current post had a shit-ton of problems too.

wait they're only on rev c of that? i thought they were on like rev 57

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

If you have to remove the saddle for bleeding, it is instant fail. BikeYoke does it right.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Speaking of awkward assembly for bleeding....

Having to bleed the whole fucking shock to grease the air can (looking at Fox here, in regards to their X2 crown jewel turd). What bassackwards bumblefuck design is this?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I can’t imagine the % of market share that RockShox has lost since the launch of the Reverb.

I’m a fan of RS generally, but that product has got to be the biggest POS of the industry in the last decade.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I know many people have been having problems with the Reverb, but I have quite a different experience.

I got my 1st Reverb in 2013. It required a full rebuild in 2016 or 2017, as it was starting to sag a little. It is still working perfectly on my wifes bike at the moment.

I knew I probably had a "special" unit that was extremely reliable for some obscure reason. I was even scared of the stock Reverb that came on the Spartan I purchased mid-season in 2018. It turns out this Reverb has been extremely reliable so far as well.

I am not saying it is a good product (I can't argue with masses of customers that got problematic Reverbs), just that some units are very good. For some reason, they seem to end up on my bike! :D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I know many people have been having problems with the Reverb, but I have quite a different experience.

I got my 1st Reverb in 2013. It required a full rebuild in 2016 or 2017, as it was starting to sag a little. It is still working perfectly on my wifes bike at the moment.

I knew I probably had a "special" unit that was extremely reliable for some obscure reason. I was even scared of the stock Reverb that came on the Spartan I purchased mid-season in 2018. It turns out this Reverb has been extremely reliable so far as well.

I am not saying it is a good product (I can't argue with masses of customers that got problematic Reverbs), just that some units are very good. For some reason, they seem to end up on my bike! :D
to that same point i have a joplin dropper that's still functional. it's called a "statistical outlier"

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
to that same point i have a joplin dropper that's still functional. it's called a "statistical outlier"
I'm in the same boat as @FlipSide here, my two Reverbs have been flawless. But back when I worked on Physics, we had a saying "the plural of anecdote isn't statistics". That's why I'm relying more on the shitton of cases depicted in any comment section of a RS Reverb review than in my own experience.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I wonder how the AXS post is holding up, any dif? I gotta admit I'd love to have one post and just switch it between bikes.
I learned on the weekend that the AXS chain is different than the rest of the Eagle stuff.

So maybe there are differences? At the very least, you don't have to worry about a silly hydraulic line.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
I wonder if the large amount of reverb acedotes about them failing are due to the price too. I'd be super pissed and post all over the internet about it if a $400 dropper post died in under 8 years, I'd just shrug and order a new one if my $100 brand x died tonight after 2 years of being treated like shit.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Had multiple Reverbs, from the first gen up to just before the AXS model. They worked beautifully when not having issues. But when having issues...I learned to keep that little silver "enduro collar" with me on every ride. They weren't even too terrible to maintain. Eventually got sick of them and converted the entire fleet to One-Up posts with Wolftooth levers. First gen, which have their own little issues, but overall am so much happier and problem free.

Got to try an AXS Reverb on someones bike a few days ago. Seemed very nice, and they've had no problems so far.IMO, that's the biggest appeal - one post to swap back and forth between multiple bikes.Still not buying one though!

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI

I still have a first year Reverb that gets daily use on my townie (after a few seasons on my enduro bike). It got its first rebuild last summer to cure a cm of squish. That's the only problem it's had. I have 2 early KS posts that have never had problems so maybe I'm easy on sestposts.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I never heard or noticed this and I've worked on a lot of AXS and regular Eagle XX drivetrains. Care to elaborate?
Something to do with the rollers being bigger or something. I forget where I read it or which youtube video.

I think its why Park Tool came out with this new chain wear tool:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Dropper posts is like 1995 suspension, we had RS Judys, Halson Inversions, Marzocchi XC700s, RST-whateverthefuck, Scott unishocks, headshocks, AMP linkage do-hickeys, flex-stems, and all manner of retarded bullshit that didn't last very long or work very well.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Something to do with the rollers being bigger or something. I forget where I read it or which youtube video.

I think its why Park Tool came out with this new chain wear tool:

Isn't that just the 12 speed SRAM road has the different chain sizing versus their MTB?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada

My reverb just now requires service. It is a first production run, first generation. Hell you could not even get them in Canada at the time. (Thanks Chad @ Redbarn) It has never been rebuilt. The only thing I have ever done is bleed it and change the hose after I ripped it out of the lever on a crash. Was flawless last fall when the bike was put away for the winter, but alas, this spring, it has about an inch of sag when weighted moderately.

They easy to do at home, or should I send it in?

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
I have a second hand Reverb that came with a frame I recently purchased. Hose looks pretty knackered so plan to change it out this week. It is possible a service will also be required (I have no background info on the post). Did some research about servicing and kits are easy to come by and pretty cheap, but some tools are required. Will make the call after the hose is installed and a fresh bleed.

On the subject of switching dropper posts between bikes. I still run 2 KS droppers (different seat tube sizes) with the lever under the saddle. Went this route because I really disliked the early droppers with external hose routing, and when the stealth posts did come out I was still on frames without internal routing built into the frame. Having the option to pull the seat post out is awesome.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Strava naow. You got to pay to play.

Hopefully less assholes pay and that shit company goes under.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Strava naow. You got to pay to play.

HHopefully less assholes pay and that shit company goes under.
i was reading somewhere else that they're still not profitable and that's why they're starting to move features behind a paywall.

personally doesn't bother me, strava was already on the kill list, this just moved it a few notches higher.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
HEY!!

OK just wanted to get your attention. If you have an original Reverb, I have a new replacement hose kit for you in the ever shrinking spare parts bin.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
HEY!!

OK just wanted to get your attention. If you have an original Reverb, I have a new replacement hose kit for you in the ever shrinking spare parts bin.
dibs maybe? i was gonna put it on my spark, which isn't internally routed for a dropper, but i use the frame ports for the OEM shock lockout (which is otherwise unused)

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
1999: Disk brakes start getting massively adopted by Teh Industry Lizzurds™.
2010: Decent tubeless tires start showing up in complete bike builds.
2015: Dropper posts start being featured in complete builds.
2019: Progressive geometry becomes the norm.
2020: Hey look, you can now bolt your multi-tool to the frame!!!