Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
some dipshit is trying to sell his 2020 commencal clash for $7500 on local FB mtb groups. MSRP on a brand new top end build is $5300 with identical suspension, comparable brakes, and a better drivetrain

:rofl:
But you can have it meow.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I'm not sold on the 1up, super expensive and 1,000 Tesla drivers appear to be in line ahead of me with a huge wait.

My last Thule was about $300 bux and served me well for 10+ years of being left outside like an unwanted mutt. I'm thinking that route again, or Yakima version, for the wifes car.
I joined their wait list and received the purchase link one week later. Looks like when you place an order, you're about 1-3 weeks out from actually receiving it.

The 1up doesn't look super expensive, compared to the other premium racks from Thule, Kuat etc. Yeah its obviously more expensive than entry level racks, but it sounds like you'll get good support/warranty and access to spare parts. There also appears to be little to no plastic crap to break on them.

I too once had a cheap Swagman type rack. It worked and did its job as a bike carrier, but it didn't fold and I was on my own to find solutions when things wore out on it. It also started to rust due to it being all steel and not having a great paint/powder coat job on it. But this is Ontario, so corrosion on steel should be expected no matter what..

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I'm not sold on the 1up, super expensive and 1,000 Tesla drivers appear to be in line ahead of me with a huge wait.

My last Thule was about $300 bux and served me well for 10+ years of being left outside like an unwanted mutt. I'm thinking that route again, or Yakima version, for the wifes car.
I purchased a 1up 6 years ago before what I can assume is all the latest hype. I was drawn to the all aluminum, modular construction. I also liked how easy it is to operate and that it only holds the wheels. Since that time, a friend of mine who went thule, has had his rack disintegrate. Mine is still running good as new. I purchased one for my parents too. Theirs got rammed in a parking lot and fixing it was as easy as going onto 1up's site, picking out the needed parts and within a week the parts arrived (this included shipping to canada). An allen key was all I needed to swap over the bent bits.

1up is a damn good rack, built on a principle of modularity and repairability.

Buy what you want.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I made my latest rack out of some 8020 extrusion and the part of an old Thule T2 where it fits into the reciver. Like $100 worth of parts. Pretty sure I could build one from scratch for less than buying a new one.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
1Up's, uh, modularity? ... modularization? ... model airplane? ... er, the ability to add and remove extra trays is a nice feature also. I've done 4 bikes at the same damn time on road trips with no issues.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I'm actively trying to ditch my Kuat rack and am purchasing a 1Up.
I have a four place 1up on my 4runner, single on my Camry.

Minnesota winter destroys everything, but my rack is still solid, I have replaced some parts cause I damaged them but I like that they answer the phone, have every spare.

I ordered parts multiple times this summer and had them before the weekend.

I pay for the 2 day shipping, they will ship right away then.

I added the ez pull and the rack attach, expensive but worth it.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
TBH, $12K sounds about right for a carbon eBike with Yeti logos on it. Aren't Specs that much?

Not that I'd ever spend that much on any bike, or buy any ebike, or any Yeti.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I just bought a 2021 yamaha yz250x for $8200 two months ago

I already know which one will still be working in 10 years.
Working maybe, but the way things are going here it will be illegal to use them, if you even can buy gasoline for it.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
My last rack was Thule.
The plastic aged and cracked and the metal rusted.

Now on a 1-Up single with a single add-on.
It is in it's third season and looking pretty much like new.
The only thing I'm not really a fan of is the release mechanism, just seems a bit proto, and takes a bit of a finangle. When you know how to do it not a problem, but it has given others a bit of grief trying to get them to release.
The price was a bit eye-watering in Canuckistani pesos - was about 1100 fully landed.
Took a deep breath, looked away and pressed go. Figured I could say Beer ordered it.
Not a regret - other than the CC statement.

Would bang again.