Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
commencal aluminium frame without shock 3200,- eur :greedy:
Hmmm...that does seem excessive. Those are carbon frame $$$'s. At least a couple years ago when I bought an Ibis Ripmo carbon and X2 shock. But that's also in USD. Not sure of exchange rate these days.

For what it's worth, I did buy a Commie ebike aluminum. It was like $7K USD, fully loaded. Like XT everything, Fox kashima everything. DT swiss awesomeness. The only thing I needed to change was the touch points. But that's cheap - Ish. :)

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
What the fuck. Come on assholes. Why the fuck would you sell nips in 20 count boxes? It equates to nothing in the wheel building world. Same shit when it comes to spokes - boxes of 100 by the same company. I can guarantee you that your LBS has about 100 DT boxes of spokes sitting in the back and there's 36 spokes sitting in most of them.
And they have the audacity to list the weight of 32 of them.

Screenshot_20221208_121130_Chrome.jpg

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
What the fuck. Come on assholes. Why the fuck would you sell nips in 20 count boxes? It equates to nothing in the wheel building world. Same shit when it comes to spokes - boxes of 100 by the same company. I can guarantee you that your LBS has about 100 DT boxes of spokes sitting in the back and there's 36 spokes sitting in most of them.

View attachment 186003
enve sells their nipples in packs of 20/24/28/32. not sure why 20? but the other counts make sense.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo

View attachment 186003
Maybe they are taking the Costco approach?

I never NEED a 40lb bag of uncooked rice. But it's the only rice they sell.

Which reminds me. I need to go to Costco :)

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
However, then a shop could build a 28 or 32 wheel, and have a few spares to sell to the customer or repair. I used to give onesies and twosies away with a new wheelbuild, the customers were stoked, and I didn’t want them around. (Especially if they were some unusual butting, etc)

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
funnily enough. DT sell squorx nipples in boxes of 100
Higher end DT rims already come with the correct no of Squorx nipples & washers plus a few spares in a wee bag.
A box of 100 normal DT brass nipples costs 1/4 what a box of 100 brass Sqorx does.

You don't *need* squorx. They're heavier, no stronger, Waaaaay moar expensive and require a longer spoke length (heavier again).

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Seriously, just buy 40 and have a few extras. Of all the things to complain about this seems pretty minor.
almost as if someone were looking for something to complain about and ran out of ideas

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I want that Girvin/K2 electronic damping thing from the late 90s.
My memory is it actually adjusted compression damping to best absorb impacts. It defaulted to less damping to be plush but as it sensed sharp impacts or went deeper into the travel it added damping to absorb those. In hindsight it was extra weight I didn't need on an XC bike but it was the first bike I was fully given by a sponsor and my first fully so I was a stoked 17 year old.

Last edited:

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Seriously, just buy 40 and have a few extras. Of all the things to complain about this seems pretty minor.
Why buy 4 boxes for a wheelset? You know as well as I do that nobody is going to have 4 boxes at the same shop. 36 per box of nips and spokes would be perfect. Cause who really builds 36 anymore? And if you did, you're still set. 40? Go ahead. But nobody will ever need 20 nips or 100 spokes at a time.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
My memory is it actually adjusted compression damping to best absorb impacts. It defaulted to less damping to be plush but as it sensed sharp impacts or went deeper into the travel it added damping to absorb those. In hindsight it was extra weight I didn't need on an XC bike but it was the first bike I was fully given by a sponsor and my first fully so I was a stoked 17 year old.
And it had a ‘piezo-electronic indicator‘ to let you know it was working!

HITEC

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Why buy 4 boxes for a wheelset? You know as well as I do that nobody is going to have 4 boxes at the same shop. 36 per box of nips and spokes would be perfect. Cause who really builds 36 anymore? And if you did, you're still set. 40? Go ahead. But nobody will ever need 20 nips or 100 spokes at a time.
Sounds like you never had to replace just the drive side spokes before.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
So buy your spokes and nipples individually.
FFS!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Shops often need to sell just a handful of spokes (to replace bent or broken spokes, etc.), and you would typically include a nipple with any new spoke. So trying to align the number of spokes and nipples in your inventory with the most common spoke counts will never work, it's just not that precise. Luckily, shops can buy boxes of 100 of each and sell you the exact number you want. But sure, if you're buying online, you might not find that precise number.

Also, if they only sold boxes of 36 or more (rather than 20), someone would complain that they only need 10 or 20 for their project and that the industry has conspired to cheat them out of a few dollars. :rolleyes:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Shops often need to sell just a handful of spokes (to replace bent or broken spokes, etc.), and you would typically include a nipple with any new spoke. So trying to align the number of spokes and nipples in your inventory with the most common spoke counts will never work, it's just not that precise. Luckily, shops can buy boxes of 100 of each and sell you the exact number you want. But sure, if you're buying online, you might not find that precise number.

Also, if they only sold boxes of 36 or more (rather than 20), someone would complain that they only need 10 or 20 for their project and that the industry has conspired to cheat them out of a few dollars. :rolleyes:
inb4 someone says just stock the longest length spokes and a spoke threader

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

Even if you build 2x 32 hole wheels, you most of the time need 4x16 spokes because the lengths are not identical. So a box of 20 makes sense if you want to have spares on hand.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007

Out of curiosity, what needs "10 or 20 spokes"?