Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
intermittent skipping of Shimano freehub points to broken pawls doesn't it? It's a pretty simple swap as I recall? (though this happened so frequently to me back in the day that I decided to "invest" in a system with no pawls... haven't had any skipping issues since then, and it's been at least 10 years...)
There aren't 'pawls' in the new Shimano free hubs. It's a different system.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Yeah having heard about many XT failures, that's why I got the wheels with those lower-end hubs thinking that they'd last much longer, but that wasn't the case!

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I like my DT hubs generally. but the 54t star ratchet on my acoustic single speed commuter does skip now and then.

no issues with 36t ones for me.
Too many WATTS, bro! I've yet to skip mine, but I like to keep things leisurely. Punchy, but leisurely.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I've got DT hubs and Shimano microspline on all my bikes. Haven't had any issues, yet. But the splines still get jacked. Like you gotta get the metal file out or the cassette isn't going to get back on the hub, type of jacked.

Not to mention just to get the cassette off, took the work of a couple of soft blows from a soft blow hammer.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've got DT hubs and Shimano microspline on all my bikes. Haven't had any issues, yet. But the splines still get jacked. Like you gotta get the metal file out or the cassette isn't going to get back on the hub, type of jacked.

Not to mention just to get the cassette off, took the work of a couple of soft blows from a soft blow hammer.

What cassettes are you running?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

That's the biggest thing I've seen. XD is just a better system. MS is better than what they had, but XD just took it out of the equation. I switch XDs all the time and it's just so much more solid. Vs. having to bash off an old HG cassette or something.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That's the biggest thing I've seen. XD is just a better system. MS is better than what they had, but XD just took it out of the equation. I switch XDs all the time and it's just so much more solid. Vs. having to bash off an old HG cassette or something.
steel freehubs vs alu makes a huge difference on HG interfaces, and i'm assuming microspline as well.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
steel freehubs vs alu makes a huge difference on HG interfaces, and i'm assuming microspline as well.
Yeah...but because they chose that type of interface...it kind of requires that it be steel or Ti. That was the original spec, then all sorts of hub manufacturers, DT hugi, american classic, CK, LOTS of others, made alu freehubs that dropped significant weight as far as % of the system. I mean, yeah they should have known better...but jesus Shimano sure wasn't in any hurry to offer us any real solution...other than steel. I'll say it again, the one-piece main-cassette that connects to splines that are as far inboard as possible, the XD, is a far better engineering solution. Still making cassettes in groups and individual cogs is ridiculous if you aren't supplying the cogs separately for replacement, but alas, that's not how it works.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
What cassettes are you running?
Shimano

Haven't run SRAM in years, but I'm putting together a frankenstein bike here soon and I'm pretty sure It'll have to be SRAM parts. It's a hardtail, so not really scared of hub/cassette jackassery.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
My microspline cassette hasn't dug into the freehub like that either. Are you doing up the end nut spline thing tight enough?

Sram XD is admittedly a much easier system to deal with, there's no potential for anything like that and the cassette is one whole piece with no stupid spacers to lose. Granted, Sram cassettes are also double the cost so not worth it to me.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
the XD, is a far better engineering solution.
Though I have, on a few occasions (maybe 3 or 4) had the locking mechanism back out on the cassette, making it so that the cassette won't turn under power (i.e. can't pedal). It sucks when this happens on a ride and you didn't bring a cassette lock-nut tool and large wrench. This never happened to me with HG.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
My microspline cassette hasn't dug into the freehub like that either. Are you doing up the end nut spline thing tight enough?

Sram XD is admittedly a much easier system to deal with, there's no potential for anything like that and the cassette is one whole piece with no stupid spacers to lose. Granted, Sram cassettes are also double the cost so not worth it to me.
while not cheap, the Garbaruk cassettes are less expensive than SRAM and work 95% as well. Much lighter than Shimano too - and as sprung mass, this makes a difference IMO. at least in the placebo sense. :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
endorsed. on that same single speed commuter's wheelset upon which I have the occasionally skipping 54t star ratchet I originally had an alu freehub body. I dug that pre-single speed conversion cassette about 5 degrees or so into the splines: it wasn't going anywhere.

switched to steel at that point (and threw away the forever-fused cassette and alu freehub together) and no further issues, although I haven't pulled the cog, etiher.

Aug 27, 2023
Canton, Georgia
Ok, my turn to vent/rant :rant:

How are we almost FIVE years into universal derailleur hangers, and Shimano still does not have a direct mount solution?

Working on finishing up my Stumpy EVO build, and I foolishly assumed my Shimano mech would bolt right up (yeah, yeah, laugh it up). Spent a hour digging through the parts box looking for a B link to no avail, so I hop online to order a compatible hanger...

Nope, fuck you. The only solution is using the B link which of course adds in plenty of shifting slop. :banghead:

WTF is Shimano doing over there? Absolutely nothing they are working is more important FIVE YEARS after the UDH introduction.
Someone at Shimano should be fired.

Wheels manufacturing has a direct mount bracket, but that defeats the entire purpose of the UDH. No one stocks it, and no one wants to pay $60 for it.

Yes, I am a tad salty about this :mad:

Going to go spend the rest of my evening searching through the hundreds of mech hangers on AliExpress looking for a unicorn

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Ok, my turn to vent/rant :rant:

How are we almost FIVE years into universal derailleur hangers, and Shimano still does not have a direct mount solution?

Working on finishing up my Stumpy EVO build, and I foolishly assumed my Shimano mech would bolt right up (yeah, yeah, laugh it up). Spent a hour digging through the parts box looking for a B link to no avail, so I hop online to order a compatible hanger...

Nope, fuck you. The only solution is using the B link which of course adds in plenty of shifting slop. :banghead:

WTF is Shimano doing over there? Absolutely nothing they are working is more important FIVE YEARS after the UDH introduction.
Someone at Shimano should be fired.

Wheels manufacturing has a direct mount bracket, but that defeats the entire purpose of the UDH. No one stocks it, and no one wants to pay $60 for it.

Yes, I am a tad salty about this :mad:

Going to go spend the rest of my evening searching through the hundreds of mech hangers on AliExpress looking for a unicorn
You talking about that fish-reel company?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Have you used SRAM's?
AXS T type is the slowest shifting drivetrain ever produced. Yeah. It's smooth but it's like poor internet connection lag when online gaming. Especially if you're use to any older shimano derailleur and a smaller tighter cassette

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I had a similar issue recently when building my Giga and trying to get a zee mech work with a cut down 10sps cassette for DH use. 6 sprockets (12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 19) spaced inboard on the HG Freehub. The guide pulley was just too far away from the sprockets for accurate shifting. Even with the DH B link fitted.
A old skool SS 105 would have worked but I wasn't wanting to run a chain guide so needed to be a clutched mech.
Gave up in the end and just fitted a 10spd 11-36 with the zee & FR B link and it's sweet.
Now that it has wider gearing I'm going to fit a dropper. FML.
What a sell out, eh?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I had a similar issue recently when building my Giga and trying to get a zee mech work with a cut down 10sps cassette for DH use. 6 sprockets (12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 19) spaced inboard on the HG Freehub. The guide pulley was just too far away from the sprockets for accurate shifting. Even with the DH B link fitted.
A old skool SS 105 would have worked but I wasn't wanting to run a chain guide so needed to be a clutched mech.
Gave up in the end and just fitted a 10spd 11-36 with the zee & FR B link and it's sweet.
Now that it has wider gearing I'm going to fit a dropper. FML.
What a sell out, eh?
So when are you registering for strava?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
They're a road bike drivetrain company that makes pretty good MTB brakes. They make decent great drivetrains for $800 MTBs anyone who doesn't need larger than a 46t cassette sprocket too.
TBF when Shimano began making bicycle parts mountainbikes weren't actually a thing.

Unless you have shares in one I honest don't get the blind fanboi chanting about one company over the other. They both make some good stuff and some shit stuff.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
We only carve our bike routes in Potatoes in Poland but I assumed you were anti strava.
Why would you assume that?

I use strava pretty much every day.

have only had a free account for the past few years since the massive price hikes and only use it as an activity tracker for recording personal stats now (Mainly just for totting up weekly/yearly mileage & ride count). none of my rides are public anymore and I deleted all followers years ago as I began to find the social media aspects of it tedious and intrusive.
Strava could be good fun in the early days with a bunch of competitive mates. But that's all it was.

Last edited:

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
TBF when Shimano began making bicycle parts mountainbikes weren't actually a thing.

Unless you have shares in one I honest don't get the blind fanboi chianting about one company over the other. They both make some good stuff and some shit stuff.
I'm sure there's a lot of people (like myself) on both sides who just enjoy shitting on certain big brands based on a few bad experiences because it's easy to be armchair engineers and criticize things that fail / don't work. Not to mention it's easy to shit on Shimano because of their glacial pace of development. Some of that is legit (like... wandering bite point issue has been around for how long - 10 years?), and some is just wanting to have more competition for certain types of products.

Of course, some brands (E*13) really do deserve all the shit they get.