Quantcast

Tiger Kills in SF Zoo

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
you've got it all figured out eh? did you ever think that maybe they were trying to get the tiger away from the victim so they could take a less risky shot? i think it said somewhere that they were using shotguns which means that there's a good chance they were using buck shot. buck shot has about an 18" spread at 25 yards, not exactly a surgical weapon. i would have done the same thing, even if the cat didn't stop attacking the dude it would have at least paused to see what the commotion was which would allow a better chance for a clear shot.

but as usual, cops can never do the right thing in hindsight right? :rolleyes: if they shoot they kill a rare animal. if they try and get a clean shot by yelling at the beast they're taking too long. :disgust1:
Easy there. I just thought it was worded funny. The cops did just fine.

Yayhoo news/AP is notorious for leaving out critical details like that and just throwing a bunch of crap together that will come out sounding flat stupid.

wreckedrex

Monkey
Feb 8, 2007
Fremont, CA
One replier has come to my notice however and if he wishes to visit Morzine at any stage, I will gladly continue the conversation and help him with his "solution". Snide little sh1t.
So you do a little flame baiting, get the response you were looking for then snivel about it? That's awesome.

I'm curious to see who they crucify over this, that tidbit about the zoo being sighted about these enclosures before is interesting.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Everyone is choosing words carefully but follow-up investigations are showing (a) the wall surrounding the enclosure is probably shorter than it should be; and (b) a bloody shoe was found inside or near the enclosure, indicating what is technically referred to as "shenanigans" (some kind of taunting and perhaps someone dangling a limb). Interesting that the enclosure was built in 1940.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/12/27/MNFFU5G80.DTL&tsp=1

I think overpopulation is a real problem on a global scale. At the very least it is a quality of life issue for future generations. I don't understand what some of you seem to be saying: That it's not a problem until we've sucked the entire planet completely dry and the human race is wiped out. Isn't that a little too late to seek a solution?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Everyone is choosing words carefully but follow-up investigations are showing (a) the wall surrounding the enclosure is probably shorter than it should be; and (b) a bloody shoe was found inside or near the enclosure, indicating what is technically referred to as "shenanigans" (some kind of taunting and perhaps someone dangling a limb). Interesting that the enclosure was built in 1940.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/12/27/MNFFU5G80.DTL&tsp=1

I think overpopulation is a real problem on a global scale. At the very least it is a quality of life issue for future generations. I don't understand what some of you seem to be saying: That it's not a problem until we've sucked the entire planet completely dry and the human race is wiped out. Isn't that a little too late to seek a solution?
Overpopulation is its own solution.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Overpopulation is its own solution.
You seem to looking at from a pure ecolological/darwinian/passive perspective and ignoring the impact of the "solution" on the human race.

Do you think we should seek solutions to our environmental problems (a symptom of overpopulation) or just wait until the planet fixes itself?

Sure, eventually we'll all die or the planet will explode or dry up and we're all screwed anyway so why try to stop it? Let nature take its course right?

I dunno, I guess I'm less willing to give up on civilization than you.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
This just in: Tiger has shown traces of steroids in system, and a business card from Barry Bonds was found in the den.

No wonder the wall didn't work...

firemandivi

They drank my Tooters
Sep 7, 2006
a state called denial
A man accompanying family members outside the house later told a reporter that the family would have nothing to say until after consulting with a lawyer.
Imagine that, another law suit. How much do you think they'll get from the zoo? $2 million?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The whole thing stinks. A kid is dead, a tiger is dead, the other cats are in small cages (as if a "grotto" wasn't bad enough), and the city or the zoo or both will probably get sued, so there is bound to be lots of finger pointing and blame. Yay.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
My speculation based on what I've read in the news the past couple days:

Older brother (douche) hops over short fence and dangles leg just below the top of the wall. This would put his foot around 10' from the bottom of the moat.
(why the fvck do they call it a moat when there is no water in it?)

Tatiana happens to be hungry and/or territorial and most likely pissed off that she lives in SF and not in a marsh somewhere in Asia. Sees douche dangling leg. Loses temper, decides to remind Human how kickass a TIGER is.

Tatiana runs, leaps and just catches the foot/leg and uses the older douche to scale the rest of the wall. Douche has one leg still on the other side of the fence so he is anchored enough for the tiger to use him as a bloody climbing rope.

Possible? Yes.
If a tiger could leap up to a dude on the back of an elephant, snatching a douche leg at around 10' up is no prob. Hell, I could probably do it.

Tatiana continues to fvck up the older douche.

17 year old future corpse tries to help. Younger brother douche is already running away.

17 year old realizes too late that he will never hear the Survivor song "The Eye of the Tiger" again when Tatiana turns on him.

Older douche (now bloody) runs after younger douche.

Tatiana goes tiger on 17 year old's throat.

Tatiana follows the blood trail (and most likely a scent trail of Axe body spray) right to where the douche brothers are.

Tatiana starts fvcking up the younger douche.

Police come and interfere with last minute 2007 Darwin Award proceedings by shooting Tatiana.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Im reading this right now as my cat is sitting in my lap.

...she would kill me in a second if she thought she could. Cats are ****ing mean.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Cats are ****ing mean.
I brought my cat outside one day and another cat was in our yard.

"Hey, look - a friend. Go say hi."

I went to set her down and it was like dropping a nitro-burning funny car. She shot after the other cat so fvcking fast I couldn't believe it. Played it totally cool before I set her down too. No indication of hostility. She chased the other cat for half a block while swatting at it in mid-run.

:rofl:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Sanchez and Patrick get into it on occasion. Typically the one being ****ed with gets more pissed and ends up chasing the other off. The cat never bleeds though, unlike the dog.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
H8R, we're all just speculating. I have a similar idea but based on this graphic I don't see how he's got one foot on the safe side of the fence and can have anything dangling below. I expect you are right about the territorial issue - that cat's only got a small space and will probably protect it fiercely.

How about: "Douche climbs fence and hangs leg over, taunting. Cat gets a hold of foot or dangling leg. 17 year old future corpse and douche's brother hop the fence and try to help, but in the process of dragging or holding their buddy they help pull the tiger out, or at least turn the guy into the "bloody ladder," and the tiger is free."

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'm positive that a tiger can get up that wall. Those things are like 60x the size of my cat.

I used to have a much larger cat that jumped from the floor to the top of the refrigerator, so I can't imagine how anyone thought 12.5' was sufficient.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Jeebus, a siberian tiger standing up on it's hind legs has got to be a good eight feet tall. A motivated, pissed off tiger shouldn't have much of a problem hopping up that grotto wall.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
H8R, we're all just speculating. I have a similar idea but based on this graphic I don't see how he's got one foot on the safe side of the fence and can have anything dangling below. I expect you are right about the territorial issue - that cat's only got a small space and will probably protect it fiercely.

How about: "Douche climbs fence and hangs leg over, taunting. Cat gets a hold of foot or dangling leg. 17 year old future corpse and douche's brother hop the fence and try to help, but in the process of dragging or holding their buddy they help pull the tiger out, or at least turn the guy into the "bloody ladder," and the tiger is free."
If the "moat" has an inclined slope on the tiger side and not a drop like I was picturing, then the tiger basically has a running start headed downhill.

Then a 12' jump? Are you kidding? This is a TIGER. No fvcking problem.

Our cat used to get on top of our bedroom door when it was about 4 months old.

A cat just needs to get a couple claws onto the ledge then it can yank itself up.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Some good tiger shots from google image search:

Milk Feeding

Milk Feeding with Harbl shot

Liger in Progress :busted:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Zoo says tiger made 'amazing' jump

SAN FRANCISCO -- The director of the zoo where a teenager was killed by an escaped Siberian tiger acknowledged yesterday that the wall around the animal's enclosure was 12 1/2 feet - just under four metres - and well below the height recommended by the main accrediting agency for U.S. zoos.

San Francisco Zoo director Manuel Mollinedo also admitted that it is becoming increasingly clear the 136-kilogram Siberian tiger leaped or climbed out of its open-air enclosure, perhaps by grabbing onto a ledge.

"She had to have jumped," he said. "How she was able to jump that high is amazing to me." Mollinedo said investigators have ruled out the theory the tiger escaped through a door behind the exhibit.

"Amazing"??!!???!