Quantcast

Tiger Kills in SF Zoo

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
It's only a zoo, for God's sake. They can't be expected to predict animal behavior or capabilities...or the stupidity of the average Bay Area teenager.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Wikipedia said:
Tigers hunt alone and prefer medium to large sized herbivores. They ambush their prey as other cats do, overpowering them from any angle, using their body size and strength to knock large prey off balance. Even with their great masses, tigers can reach speeds of about 49-65 km/h (35-40 mph). Tigers prefer to bite the throats of large prey and use their muscled forelimbs to hold onto the prey, bringing it to the ground. The tiger remains latched onto the neck until its prey dies. With small prey, the tiger bites the nape, often breaking the spinal cord, piercing the windpipe, or severing the jugular vein or carotid artery. The prey is killed instantly.

In the wild, tigers can leap as high as 5 m (16 ft) and as far as 9–10 m (30–33 ft), making them one of the highest-jumping mammals (just slightly behind cougars in jumping ability).

They have been reported to carry domestic livestock weighing 50 kg (110 lb) while easily jumping over fences 2 m (6 ft 6 in) high. Their heavily muscled forelimbs are used to hold tightly onto the prey and to avoid being dislodged, especially by large prey such as gaurs. Gaurs and water buffalos weighing over a ton have been killed by tigers weighing about a sixth as much. The combination of claws and power behind a tiger's paws enables it to kill an adult human with one swipe.[41]
That's in the wild, so let's knock a few feet off for a young tiger in captivity.

WTF? Did no one at the zoo do any reading about tigers and their capabilities?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
It's incredible to me that this could be the first time a tiger jumped out since that enclosure was built in 1940. If that's what happened the other tigers must be pissed.

"Doh! Why didn't we try that?!"

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I can see a news article tomorrow:

Sales of tape measures in retail locations near metropolitan zoos hit record highs.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
The tiger was acting appropriately for a tiger.

Simple math:

Fvck with + tiger = get killed.
Which is exactly why it is the zoos responsibility to ensure that the enclosures are fool proof. Or in this case, stupid teenager proof.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Which is exactly why it is the zoos responsibility to ensure that the enclosures are fool proof. Or in this case, stupid teenager proof.
Or anything proof.

What this means is basically the tigers have had the potential to get out since the 40's. Anyone could've been killed.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Or anything proof.

What this means is basically the tigers have had the potential to get out since the 40's. Anyone could've been killed.
I am very surprised they have never gotten out before. Perhaps teenagers today are stupider than in the past?

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
I make you any bet he was not at fault here.

I bet you 10 credits.
I reread, there were three brothers. Whoever provoked the tiger deserves the blame. The enclosure has been around since 1940, so obviously it has contained the tigers when people act in a civilized manner.

This kind of seems like a three stooges sketch.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
It's incredible to me that this could be the first time a tiger jumped out since that enclosure was built in 1940. If that's what happened the other tigers must be pissed.

"Doh! Why didn't we try that?!"
You don't understand, the tigers of today have better training methods and more scientific workouts of those in the 40's, which why they can jump higher and hit the ball farther, uh.....

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Also Wednesday, San Francisco police Sgt. Steve Mannina said investigators found an empty vodka bottle in the car that was used by the victims to go to the zoo on Christmas Day.
You have to be pretty hard up for fun when you get sh!tfaced and head to the zoo.

An interesting interpretation of Animal House

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
It fits pretty well with the earlier reports that he was the one who tried to help his friend instead of running. Too much speculation but it sounds like the nice guy really finished last this time.
When you taunt tigers at the zoo, remember, you don't have to out-run them, you just have to out-run your 'friends'.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
So, they admitted to taunting, drinking, and they were high. But, this article really pisses me off. It makes it sound like the kids share responsibility for this attack. Come on!! It's a zoo, not the wild. Unless you actually get into the cage, there should be ZERO chance that you get attacked by a tiger at a zoo. I don't care if you're drunk, stoned, on crack, taunting the tiger, mooning the tiger, or even showing off your tiger fur coat made out of its mom.... there is no way in hell that you should have to worry about being attacked by a tiger in a zoo!!!

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/18/tiger.attack.ap/index.html

So, they admitted to taunting, drinking, and they were high. But, this article really pisses me off. It makes it sound like the kids share responsibility for this attack. Come on!! It's a zoo, not the wild. Unless you actually get into the cage, there should be ZERO chance that you get attacked by a tiger at a zoo. I don't care if you're drunk, stoned, on crack, taunting the tiger, mooning the tiger, or even showing off your tiger fur coat made of out its mom.... there is no way in hell that you should have to worry about being attacked by a tiger in a zoo!!!

I disagree. If you do dumb things, you deserve what you get.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
If you do dumb things, you deserve what you get.
I partially agree with that. But, what they did wasn't a dumb thing. They thought, like the rest of the world thinks and what should be reality, that there is no way for a tiger to get out of its cage in a zoo.

A person is dead for Christ's sake. It's amazing how many people are on the other side of this issue.... blaming the cops or blaming the kids. I'm sure they wouldn't be saying these things if it was someone close to them.

We are better off with more dumb people becoming dead. The zoo will raise the wall. Other zoos will reconsider their enclosures. Everyone wins.

I partially agree with that. But, what they did wasn't a dumb thing. They thought, like the rest of the world thinks and what should be reality, that there is no way for a tiger to get out of its cage in a zoo.

A person is dead for Christ's sake. It's amazing how many people are on the other side of this issue.... blaming the cops or blaming the kids. I'm sure they wouldn't be saying these things if it was someone close to them.
Smell the coffee. The fact that they got mauled proves their actions dumb.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
So, they admitted to taunting, drinking, and they were high. But, this article really pisses me off. It makes it sound like the kids share responsibility for this attack. Come on!! It's a zoo, not the wild. Unless you actually get into the cage, there should be ZERO chance that you get attacked by a tiger at a zoo. I don't care if you're drunk, stoned, on crack, taunting the tiger, mooning the tiger, or even showing off your tiger fur coat made of out its mom.... there is no way in hell that you should have to worry about being attacked by a tiger in a zoo!!!

have you been to the Zoo lately?

people are a$$holes to the animals! There needs to be repercussions to their actions... When a mom says "settle down or I will take you by the tiger cage and taunt him till he attacks you..." it should mean something... Now mom has some street cred... "I told you..." and "remember the SF Zoo" will be the new zoo behavioral mantra!