Ventana has a nice looking new frame in the new El Terremoto 6.0

You can order it with an air shock as well as a coil over:

Or Maybe a 6.6 something like this?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I want to replace the Quasi Moto, so I'm looking for something versatile that could handle lots of 4-6' hucks yet be light enough for the occasional 24 hour race. I want 6" travel.

Or I could get a lighter "all mountain" bike as MMcG suggested and use the Quasi for freeriding.

Budget? Eh, whatever. Keep in mind I am not buying a bike within the next few months, but *somehow* this thread has morphed.
my opinion is that i wouldn't want to use the same bike for 24 hr racing as i would for 6 footers. my enduro (older one, '02) is a great xc bike but it's not built for abuse (and the broken stays of the newer ones i've seen littered around the intarweb would suggest that hasn't changed)...i would limit that bike to the occasional 3-4' drops, not much more.

if there's not a driver to getting rid of the quasi, or if you don't need to cannibalize parts, it may make sense to keep it for huck rides (assuming that these can be kept separate from trail rides; it works out pretty good for me out here, w/ lynn and 'nam being the drop rides, and then plenty of good technical xc for other trail destintations).

i used to ride a joker w/ a super T for all trail rides, and rode it for a week out in Moab. fun bike, but ultimately too heavy for the main go-to bike (for me, anyway). some of this depends on the relative speed of your normal riding group as well.

so that said, i'd tend towards keeping the quasi and test riding the hell out of as many bikes in the ~5"/sub-30# range you can.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
some of this depends on the relative speed of your normal riding group as well.

he rides with me a lot and I'm slower than cold molasses so I think he should get a really heavy bike so that I can keep up with him, not the other way around. ;)

Here's my 2 Cents:

1. Sell of the old Rocky Mountain Spice that does not fit right

2. Keep the Quasi in long travel mode - perhaps with a longer travel fork in front as the Huck bike

3. Get a complete 5 to 6" air sprung bike for long trail riding days and 24 hour events. Maybe even one with adjustable travel front and rear?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Ventana has a nice looking new frame in the new El Terremoto 6.0

You can order it with an air shock as well as a coil over:

frame + shock: MSRP: $2195
:eek:

now i remember why i haven't bought any new bikes in the last 6 years...my camera budget needs have taken top priority.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
my opinion is that i wouldn't want to use the same bike for 24 hr racing as i would for 6 footers. my enduro (older one, '02) is a great xc bike but it's not built for abuse (and the broken stays of the newer ones i've seen littered around the intarweb would suggest that hasn't changed)...i would limit that bike to the occasional 3-4' drops, not much more. .
Yeah thats the ticket, 7-9 lbs frame can work everyplace but it will be a master of nothing. Something a little lighter like a Spot, 575, or MKIII would be good - those probably weigh in around 6.25 lbs. About the only 6" bike that might work well all around for you is the new Heckler - its only around 6.4 lbs and its still pretty strong.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
frame + shock: MSRP: $2195
:eek:

now i remember why i haven't bought any new bikes in the last 6 years...my camera budget needs have taken top priority.
Yeah - that's what makes brands like Transition seem like very solid values.

Now if Tigg would just hurry up and post up some photos of his Covert we could get a glimpse of another contender for IAB! ;);)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Something about those new Hecklers just doesn't do it for me:

It may be an improvement, but I like the looks of the old ones better - they old ones just look tougher or something.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
New Heckler frame weight is the same, bearing setup is better, it uses hydroforming, and it uses a longer shock stroke (2.5" air/coil for 6" vs 2" for 5" in the air shock and 2.25" in the coil version) - it should be able to take just as much if not more abuse.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Based on IAB's requirements...How about a Spot with Push Rockers (5.75" travel) with either a DHX-C or RP23 with a Pike or Vanilla RLC. Built up with X.9 or XT and some nice hoops would make a pretty durable and capable 24 hour bike.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
no comment on the rest of this thread, BUT...

how about a cannondale prophet? I really like mine and recently took it on an adventure race...it's light and snappy and the lefty is a neat device. There's a host of upgrades I'd like to do to mine (mostly to lighten it) but so far so good...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Don't forget about the riding you do. Geometry should be equally as important as weight or suspension design. Ideally something with shorter chainstays/wheelbase, BB not too low - say around 13.75-14", decent standover, and 68-69 HA, and 71-73 SA would probably be best for tight/technical east coast singletrack.

TurnerGrl

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Metrowest MA
IAB and MBC need to become members of the Turner cult.

MBC...a Spot would be perfect (FWIW, the name change I think is due to the increase in travel to 5.5)

IAB, I can't help but recommend the RFX. Mine is an '02 (so likely a bit heavier than the newer models) and has the Avy as an aftermarket shock replacement.

When I was mulling over bike decisions last fall (looked briefly at the Heckler, Blur LT for trail bikes), it dawned on me that I didn't want to give up my RFX as my primary trail bike that can definitely handle the hucks. That's why I bought the Big Hit for DH days (only because I couldn't afford a DHR...) and put an '07 Z1 on the Turner. And that's the bike that by far gets the most use from me. I miss the extra security of the Super T off some of the drops but it was a good swap out to make it a little more trail friendly. Besides, I'll never be fast anyway....

Oh, and even with the Super T on the Turner, I still rode it everywhere!

jerk_chicken

Chimp
Mar 28, 2007
By the way.... the sister thread to this one has the most posts of any thread on the Titus forum...

http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29&daysprune=30&order=desc&sort=replycount

and it has the most views aside from a couple long running set up threads....

http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29&daysprune=30&order=desc&sort=views
It's pretty disgusting how those Titus weenies pretend like they're from the company and bash anyone that has anything to say about Titus. There is a reason why there's a consumer forum and the reason Titus is on that board, but how can they make sense of anything when those Titus Nazis do nothing but bash and personally attack everyone? They were the ones that ruined their own forum, but they blame everyone else.

It was great seeing all of them cannibalize one another.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
It's pretty disgusting how those Titus weenies pretend like they're from the company and bash anyone that has anything to say about Titus. There is a reason why there's a consumer forum and the reason Titus is on that board, but how can they make sense of anything when those Titus Nazis do nothing but bash and personally attack everyone? They were the ones that ruined their own forum, but they blame everyone else.

jerk chicken is delicious

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder

homers are widespread.

substitute 'titus' with yeti, santa cruz, kona, turner, intense, sinister, ellsworth, morewood, orange, yadadadadaaaaa....

don't think they are isolated to mtbr...they are endemic here too.

:homer:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
IAB and MBC need to become members of the Turner cult.

MBC...a Spot would be perfect (FWIW, the name change I think is due to the increase in travel to 5.5)

IAB, I can't help but recommend the RFX. Mine is an '02 (so likely a bit heavier than the newer models) and has the Avy as an aftermarket shock replacement.

When I was mulling over bike decisions last fall (looked briefly at the Heckler, Blur LT for trail bikes), it dawned on me that I didn't want to give up my RFX as my primary trail bike that can definitely handle the hucks. That's why I bought the Big Hit for DH days (only because I couldn't afford a DHR...) and put an '07 Z1 on the Turner. And that's the bike that by far gets the most use from me. I miss the extra security of the Super T off some of the drops but it was a good swap out to make it a little more trail friendly. Besides, I'll never be fast anyway....

Oh, and even with the Super T on the Turner, I still rode it everywhere!
Well I know the RFX can handle it all after seeing yours in action at Vietnam and Soapstone. :thumb: I need to decide what route I want to go as far as a bike purchase is concerned.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
homers are widespread.

substitute 'titus' with yeti, santa cruz, kona, turner, intense, sinister, ellsworth, morewood, orange, yadadadadaaaaa....

don't think they are isolated to mtbr...they are endemic here too.

:homer:
Homerism would be more widespread here if people actually rode their bikes.
:pirate2:

TurnerGrl

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Metrowest MA
Well I know the RFX can handle it all after seeing yours in action at Vietnam and Soapstone. :thumb: I need to decide what route I want to go as far as a bike purchase is concerned.
Well, you're welcome to test ride mine anytime! Although it is the older model, it should still give you an idea of the feel. And once the trails dry out I think that it will be time for you, MBC, and MMcG (and his Craftworks) to come visit us up at 'Nam. Plenty of bike testing can be done! :thumb:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I still can't under stand how a 6.0 Ventana free ride frame EL Terremoto (see above pic) can cost as much as the Ventana Dh frame (el cuervo).:plthumbsdown:
where do you think the cost difference would be manifested? maybe the rear shock a small bit? the tubes and relative machining/welding costs i'd think would be very similar.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England

Nice to have you aboard, jerk_chicken. (Your name is a noun and not a verb, right?)

Well, you're welcome to test ride mine anytime! Although it is the older model, it should still give you an idea of the feel. And once the trails dry out I think that it will be time for you, MBC, and MMcG (and his Craftworks) to come visit us up at 'Nam. Plenty of bike testing can be done! :thumb:
That time isn't too far away. :)

jerk_chicken

Chimp
Mar 28, 2007
It's likely the tubing. I've researched for a course in the past and found that tubing is pretty energetically unfavorable to make, shape, and taper. Machining is a big deal, especially if there's a lot of wastage to produce certain shapes.

splat

Nam I am

It has been quite entertaining, any way Welcome to the :monkey: Hoe you enjoy your stay

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
N8's made a lot of friends over there.

demo_slug said:
STFU N8!

you guys have your little click over at ride monkey and wanted to get something for nothing, hatched you BS, and high 5 each other back there everytime you dish on somebody here. good job, you are internet bullies. that is some weak crap.

so thanks for taking a big stinky dump in our forum. thanks. you are scum.
He doesn't like us very much.

jerk_chicken

Chimp
Mar 28, 2007
N8's made a lot of friends over there.

He doesn't like us very much.
Yeah, that's good old demo slug. If you go through his post history, as well as blackagness's, you will see I've made them both meltdown on the board. I'm talking full-scale emotional meltdown. Blackagness's meltdowns were classics and DS didn't want to be involved with the board after a while after I finally declared that he and agness were what ruined the board, not myself or anyone else like they claim. They don't know where to stop and don't realize that the continuance they give the threads works worse against Titus than any flaming anyone can do.

So, if you have a titus and don't like it, they call you a troll.
If Titus didn't treat you right, you're a troll.
If your paint peels off in the box, you're a troll.

They also invent lies to defend Titus, such as the batches that are affected being limited, along with the made in the US. They provide a cover up more than Titus does. I used to like Titus, but when they went overseas and lied about it, I ditched them. At least Yeti didn't go so far to conceal it. Titus even put up a flash tour making like the asia frames were made in Az. Now Pat Hus is at the helm and we know how good he's been for companies. He's the corporate man, not the one with passion for biking. That's why I won't buy a Titus at this point. That, and their ruined message board.

I also love how they pull the Turner card on me, which doesn't affect me in the least. It's also pretty tough to complain against the T customer service.

Back to the cannibalization.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I want to replace the Quasi Moto, so I'm looking for something versatile that could handle lots of 4-6' hucks yet be light enough for the occasional 24 hour race. I want 6" travel.

Or I could get a lighter "all mountain" bike as MMcG suggested and use the Quasi for freeriding.

Budget? Eh, whatever. Keep in mind I am not buying a bike within the next few months, but *somehow* this thread has morphed.
:confused: Why get one bike for 2 purposes when you could get 2 new bikes ? :greedy:

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I kept reading this thread thinking MBC should get a Turner. I have 4 Turners and love all of them:cupidarrow: I like the fact you can call the company directly and talk a person that knows their crap, not to mention their customer service rocks.

When I was about to buy my first Turner frame ('04 Burner) I was very concerned about the sizing since I could test ride one. I called Turner directly and ended up talking to Dave for about 30 minutes about the sizing and build set up for my height. Very cool.