Quantcast

Toke up, hippies!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Totally. It was funny, I recall it was passing by nearly 60% when I went to bed and found it barely lost in the morning last go round. But it wasn't widely advertised at all last time, this time there is a lot more attention to the measure. I will be teh disappoint if it fails this time.

The fact that Washington passed it before Oregon and California is just blasphemy.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
:stupid:

While disappointing, it shouldn't really be all the surprising. We should compare it to how much money the state made off of weed in 2013. Oh, that's right.........
I'd be more interested in finding out how much legal weed has affected the black market. While there isn't anything close to a price war going on, I want to know if business improved for Johnny on the Corner now that tourists and the like are flocking, or if he's had to increase his advertising revenue to stay competitive.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I'd be more interested in finding out how much legal weed has affected the black market. While there isn't anything close to a price war going on, I want to know if business improved for Johnny on the Corner now that tourists and the like are flocking, or if he's had to increase his advertising revenue to stay competitive.
Buried in this thread somewhere is an article I posted some time ago about this exact issue. IIRC the TL;DR boiled down to dealers are still dealing to the same folks they were before, but new smokers who've started since it became legal are buying legit. IMO the more interesting statistic would be how long that remains true if/when legit buyers find out how much cheaper they can pick up an ounce for from the cousin of the janitor at work.

*edit: I'd also like to see the figures on how much the state isn't spending prosecuting and imprisoning low level dealers and weekend smokers.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Buried in this thread somewhere is an article I posted some time ago about this exact issue. IIRC the TL;DR boiled down to dealers are still dealing to the same folks they were before, but new smokers who've started since it became legal are buying legit. IMO the more interesting statistic would be how long that remains true if/when legit buyers find out how much cheaper they can pick up an ounce for from the cousin of the janitor at work.

*edit: I'd also like to see the figures on how much the state isn't spending prosecuting and imprisoning low level dealers and weekend smokers.
I do recall that article, it was tourists than idiots that bought legit. The rest still buy from that one dude at that one place. :rofl:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
the cousin of the janitor at work.
That's the disconnect in the assumptions about the black market.
The guys I know aren't shady dirtbags in sketchy areas, they're white color family guys with awesome day jobs who just happen to love weed too.

I don't see tourists hitting the ghetto looking to save taxes for their ski trip stash.

Iirc, co residents can also grow up to 6 plants.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
dan-o

So you don't think Black guys can be non-dirtbags with awesome day jobs?

Just bustin' yer chops - spelling can be everything.....

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
I do recall that article, it was tourists than idiots that bought legit. The rest still buy from that one dude at that one place. :rofl:
That's the disconnect in the assumptions about the black market.
The guys I know aren't shady dirtbags in sketchy areas, they're white color family guys with awesome day jobs who just happen to love weed too.

I don't see tourists hitting the ghetto looking to save taxes for their ski trip stash.

Iirc, co residents can also grow up to 6 plants.
Well, anecdotally, that's not always the case. A guy I used to work with just retired and on his first day of freedom went to the only legal shop in the county. If the feds dropped pot of the verboten list tomorrow, I wouldn't have the first clue where to pick up weed other than the same shop. The fact that the state is still clearing more than 12 million in sales shows that more than a few folks are buying legally. Clearly the state overplayed it's hand, but IMO that's a separate issue.

I'd been tempted to grow my six plants, but by law they have to be raised indoors, and if I'd planted them outside they would have gotten worked by the hail storm that destroyed everything else in my garden this year. :mad:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
:stupid:

While disappointing, it shouldn't really be all the surprising. We should compare it to how much money the state made off of weed in 2013. Oh, that's right.........
well......when you plan on spending 33 million but only get 21 million....i imagine someone down the line will get the shaft.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I'd been tempted to grow my six plants, but by law they have to be raised indoors, and if I'd planted them outside they would have gotten worked by the hail storm that destroyed everything else in my garden this year. :mad:
I'll admit that I'm intrigued and would probably try my hand at growing at some point if it were ever legalized in my state. Kind of a mix of gardening and brewing.... :)

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'll admit that I'm intrigued and would probably try my hand at growing at some point if it were ever legalized in my state. Kind of a mix of gardening and brewing.... :)
I tried to grow in high school and never got much past a few inches tall. But I also had NO IDEA what I was doing. I can grow peppers because if you forget to water them for a few days, they just get angry.

So as a CO resident, you can grow 6 (I thought it was 5, but that could be Oregon) plants. Each plant if properly cared for can produce a pound of bud. 6 plants = 6+lbs of bud. That is a sh!t ton of bud for "personal" use. It would not surprise me to find out many CO residents are selling some excess bud to friends and friends of friends tax free.

Not unlike home brewing, I guess. Make too much beer? Share with friends!!!

And I don't think squeeb was implying the janitors cousin was shady. But since the janitors cousin isn't legal, he also likely doesn't advertise. :rofl:

<edit> Can I request a secret santa from CO this year? :D

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Need a job?

"More than 70% of Washington's legal marijuana businesses are planning to hire, according to our MJ Research report," said David Rheins, MJBA CEO and founder. "The new industry is predicted to create more than 35,000 new high paying jobs in the next year — agricultural jobs, retail jobs, warehousing and transportation jobs, sales jobs, security, legal, accounting and technology. The Green Rush is expected to reinvigorate communities around the state."

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Fwiw, I dropped into a local recreational herb store to see what it was about. Everything was pre-packaged (no squeeze n sniff) and they were charging $43+/GRAM. Last time i looked it can be had on the street from $3-10/GRAM.

Lets see, pay out the ass and don't get to judge quality before you hand over the cash... :crazy:

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Fwiw, I dropped into a local recreational herb store to see what it was about. Everything was pre-packaged (no squeeze n sniff) and they were charging $43+/GRAM. Last time i looked it can be had on the street from $3-10/GRAM.

Lets see, pay out the ass and don't get to judge quality before you hand over the cash... :crazy:
That's a pretty big discrepancy. If that's the sort of difference CO is seeing, it's no wonder the black market continues to thrive. Maybe after all these years there is finally evidence for the laffer curve?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Should Oregon get lucky this time around, I don't know that it would fly like that here. $10/g is pretty standard and your local grow is typically top notch due to the amount of medical that hits the street. Maybe Lake Oswego would pay $50/g, but not Portland. :rofl:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
while im happy PA's mmj billed has passed the Senate, it does suck to see how much the Bill was neutered from its original form. as of now, these are the only qualifying ailments that will get you non-smokable forms of mmj. down from the list of 30 in the original bill
Cancer
Epilepsy and Seizures
ALS/Lou Gherigs Disease
Cachexia/Wasting Syndrome
Parkinsons Disease
Traumatic Brain Injury
Multiple Sclerosis
Spinocerabellara Ataxia (SCA)
PTSD
Severe fibromyalgia

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
the 30+ ailments that were removed can be added but that would take an act of god at this point...especially with Corbett so against it

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Follow the money...

The entrepreneurs of the young U.S. marijuana industry are taking another step into the mainstream, becoming political donors who use some of their profits to support cannabis-friendly candidates and ballot questions that could bring legal pot to more states.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
This is how we roll.

One study by EcoNorthwest for initiative proponents projects that the state’s recreational marijuana could sell for $145 an ounce, which is far less than prices now charged in Washington recreational stores.

“We definitely learned the need to implement an effective tax rate that brings marijuana out of the criminal market into the regulated market,” said Anthony Johnson, an Oregon attorney who is the initiative’s chief petitioner.
Take note CO. If you want to get the smoke off the street, you need to price it correctly then tax it lightly.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
I sure hope the Oregon measure passes. It seems to me like they've really been paying attention to the mistakes both CO and WA have made. It could be the model system for other states in the next couple years.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I sure hope the Oregon measure passes. It seems to me like they've really been paying attention to the mistakes both CO and WA have made. It could be the model system for other states in the next couple years.
I was surprised it didn't pass last time, but it was not as well thought out as this one is. While I hate the state regulation on liquor here, if they opened up the current dispensaries for rec use while undercutting the current street price, I think you would see a huge shift in sales and the tax revenue to follow.

It's like home brewing. Grow a little for yourself, share with some friends, or support a local grow through legal sales and taxes if you don't care for the process. But if it is as cheap or cheaper than hooking up with Johnny on the spot and it's open during reasonable hours, it seems legit to me.

<edit> currently from what I understand medical here is comparable to street price, but the convenience of business hours and selection if you have a card is a nice bonus. Paying $400 a year for a card is a killer for a lot of folks. If only you could use health care flexible spending for it. :rofl:

Last edited: