Quantcast

Tool Nerds, Questions and Tool Snobbery

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
It seems like the loctite takes a few steps up in terms of it's "locking" power when applied to spokes. Maybe it's our incredibly small interface as far as the nipple to the nipple tool and having to use that park tool. I remember doing this one or two times and having to cut out the spokes. The other thing is that you might need to true on the trail if you break a spoke for some other reason, so having the nipples "locked" that hard makes it impossible to do trail fixes too IME. Just no good reason IMO to lock them that much...but again, something seems to have changed in the last 10 years where they don't seem to loosen like they did back in the day.
I think you might be talking about the Red or Green Loctite here. The Blue doesn’t « lock. »

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Anyone got a good chisel/plane sharpening setup? Grabbed a few Narex Richter chisels per @maxyedor's recommendation, and they arrived with little but a hint of a cutting edge. The La Croix of cutting tools.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Anyone got a good chisel/plane sharpening setup? Grabbed a few Narex Richter chisels per @maxyedor's recommendation, and they arrived with little but a hint of a cutting edge. The La Croix of cutting tools.
I use the 3 pack of diamond boards you can get on Amazon for under 30 bucks for my plane. Plus some lapping compound on a piece of pine as a strop, I'd rather it be leather than pine.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I use the 3 pack of diamond boards you can get on Amazon for under 30 bucks for my plane. Plus some lapping compound on a piece of pine as a strop, I'd rather it be leather than pine.
Link plz. That's similar to the DMT setup I was looking at, but they want $200 for the pleasure.

Figure I can pair that with a good guide and be good to go. Don't trust myself freehand yet.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I made a roller type one out of some timber offcuts, it worked pretty well until it fell apart from poor glue prep.
honing guide 6.jpg

EDIT- This arrived today, it was $51 delivered but didn't show all the chisels in the listing. Every part is available as a spare as the model has been on sale forever, over here they retail for $300.
IMG_20220829_172307.jpg

Last edited:

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Waste of money. Just do it by hand. It's not that difficult and it's not like you're going to notice the difference of a degree or two, you'll also know right away from using it if you didn't do it evenly.
I hear you and I spent some time doing it by hand. I get better results using a guide and a lot of other people do as well. For me, having a repeatable process means that I spend more time using the tools and less time working on my sharpening technique. There are many ways to do pretty much anything in woodworking, do what works for you.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
I guess that's fair. If I really need to take a lot off a chisel I'll still use the guide that came with mine. But idk how you can sharpen a plane with a guide and camber it so you don't dig in the edge.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
I guess that's fair. If I really need to take a lot off a chisel I'll still use the guide that came with mine. But idk how you can sharpen a plane with a guide and camber it so you don't dig in the edge.
The Veritas guide has a curved roller for cambering the blade if that's what you want to do. Maybe overkill, but it does work well.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Expensive (this is the tool snob thread), but this is really nice:

That's next up for me. Figure I can either pair that with some sandpaper on glass or granite and have a decent setup going. I too am capable of doing it free hand but prefer the more foolproof nature of the guide.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
How bad are we talking here? Leather strop goes a long way toward tiddying up an edge. Otherwise I use cheap stones off Amazon and a cheap guide if I have to fix the angle.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
How bad are we talking here? Leather strop goes a long way toward tiddying up an edge. Otherwise I use cheap stones off Amazon and a cheap guide if I have to fix the angle.
Like, can't even take the edge off of a pine 2x4 bad. Secondary bevel at 90* kind of bad.

The 1/2" I got was better, but still struggled more than it should have clearing out a door latch pocket.

Last edited:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Like, can't even take the edge off of a pine 2x4 bad. Secondary bevel at 90* kind of bad.

The 1/2" I got was better, but still struggled more than it should have clearing out a door latch pocket.
That honestly may be a problem with your wood.

Give them a shot on something harder, at least poplar. Softwood is so damn soft it just mushes no matter how sharp I get a chisel.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
The hag is super nice. I didn't own one, so I figured the first one I buy should last the rest of my life.
Still happy with the HAG?

I don't own a hanger alignment tool and I am torn between the Abbey HAG and the Park DAG-3. I guess I can't really go wrong with any of them...?

Any feedback is welcome. :)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

I don't own a hanger alignment tool and I am torn between the Abbey HAG and the Park DAG-3. I guess I can't really go wrong with any of them...?

for the few times i've needed it, yes. it's nice and compact as well, which makes it easier to use IMO.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019

The park one still works well for me. At $40 its not crazy cheap, and I was hesitant to spend that much, but looking at how its made I dont feel like I'm getting fisted like the cost of a lot of other Park Tools.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The park one still works well for me. At $40 its not crazy cheap, and I was hesitant to spend that much, but looking at how its made I dont feel like I'm getting fisted like the cost of a lot of other Park Tools.
is it an older version you have? the dag3 mentioned above retails for $130. if i saw it listed for $40 id question it

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Just ordered a new multimeter, my current DT4281 is a bit nuts for automotive, a 60000 count display is not needed and can be a pain in the ass at times. My old man can make use of it better than me and his Flukes don't have Capacitance so I'll give it to him.
I ordered a DT4261 which supposedly shows a voltage reading quicker than anything else out there plus it can automatically enter readings in to Excel which will be helpful when doing UPS type batteries, it can also display waveforms in the app and has the LoZ function which is on most decent meters these days.

EDIT- Also nabbed some Metric and Impartial double box spanners for $100AuD
1664015511154.png

EDIT- Spanners are made in China so I'll sell them off.

Last edited:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
I was recently informed that GFCI sockets go bad, even if never triggered they just wear out somehow, so I bought this.
35AD2691-E0CC-48F9-8448-46B1FC0963BD.jpeg
3877E766-D6D5-4B48-915A-2644CD1B2ACB.jpeg

Read circuit voltage, correct wiring, and tests GFCIs with a timer. Turns out the newish ones are all good, but a couple too over 1/2 second to trip, and the few that I suspect are original to the house no longer work. Guess it’s time to swap some plugs

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I was recently informed that GFCI sockets go bad, even if never triggered they just wear out somehow, so I bought this. View attachment 182449View attachment 182450

Read circuit voltage, correct wiring, and tests GFCIs with a timer. Turns out the newish ones are all good, but a couple too over 1/2 second to trip, and the few that I suspect are original to the house no longer work. Guess it’s time to swap some plugs
Had that same issue recently. Older GFCI that would randomly trip, usually while I was in the middle of a long smoke. So yes, they do go bad.

Not that it helps you now, HD has the following kit for $50:

I was in the market for a new voltage sniffer ($30 alone) recently and grabbed this kit for a few dollars more.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Had that same issue recently. Older GFCI that would randomly trip, usually while I was in the middle of a long smoke. So yes, they do go bad.

I was in the market for a new voltage sniffer ($30 alone) recently and grabbed this kit for a few dollars more.
Damn and it even comes with all the batteries.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

Jesus that is cheap!

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Anyone know of a wrench with 10mm on one end and 6mm on the other for adjusting cane creak db shocks on the fly? The 10mm needs to be open end or very thin wall or else I’d have just 3d printed one.