Quantcast

Toyota Tacoma.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Found a good candidate today except for the price, and I'd like the long bed.

Dark blue TRD with 50K. Manual tranny. Lot was asking $27,500... Too bad these trucks are so good, otherwise I'd be able to find more private sellers. Still not thinking I need a warranty.

Oh, this is all besides the fact that I need a good down payment... Ugh.
That is way too much. You should be able to walk onto any larger dealer lot and get a brand new one for $30k w/ 1-2% interest.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Found a good candidate today except for the price, and I'd like the long bed.

Dark blue TRD with 50K. Manual tranny. Lot was asking $27,500... Too bad these trucks are so good, otherwise I'd be able to find more private sellers. Still not thinking I need a warranty.

Oh, this is all besides the fact that I need a good down payment... Ugh.
That is way too much. You should be able to walk onto any larger dealer lot and get a brand new one for $30k w/ 1-2% interest.

that is a ton of money for a used manual with 50k
like buildyourown said, the TRD Off-road 4doors are being sold for $30k new. for that price, you should be able to find a automatic model with 15-25k miles on it, not 50k and w/ the TRD off-road or sport

Last edited:

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Holy ****. $27.5 with 50k?

I've got a 2008 PreRunner TRD 4-door short bed. Love this truck. About 30k w/o issues.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
How dare you not buy 'merican!;)
Last time I checked "American made" F150's are made in mexico

Srsly. Got my 07 trd crewmax tundra with similar mileage and several premium options, plus a mint condition interior for 19k...in Socal.

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
2009 Double Cab Long Bed here....
Like it. No problems. I put about 20k/year on ave.

That being said, I totally miss the SOLID feel of my 94 4Runner. Bought it new late in 1994.... ~278k on it when I got the Taco.

Taco just feels "hollow" compared to the old 'Runner....

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Don't worry guys, one of the main reasons I started the thread was to see if I needed warranty. Pretty sure they tack 5k for that $hit...

That's besides the fact the lots have inflated pricing around these parts. A brand new TRD model fully loaded goes for 33k!!!

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Don't worry guys, one of the main reasons I started the thread was to see if I needed warranty. Pretty sure they tack 5k for that $hit...

That's besides the fact the lots have inflated pricing around these parts. A brand new TRD model fully loaded goes for 33k!!!
Go to Endmunds and look up the invoice price (this isn't true dealer cost)
This is your starting point for negotiations. Many dealers won't move, but just call around and you should be able to get $500-1000 below invoice.
This isn't true on new models or high demand ones, but on a Tacoma, it is.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Little bump here.

Anyone who owns a crew cab with the short bed: Do you tailgate your DH bikes? How's the available room?

(On day to day use when I ride, I'll probably tailgate the bikes, and get a hitch rack for trips.)

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
#1 issue is its not diesel, I really want the Toyota Heliux, not a Tacoma.
+1....I was checking out the Hilux while I was in Costa Rica a couple of weeks ago...f'n nice.

All I have to say is that we're getting d%$#ed.....no reason we shouldn't have a large selection of small diesels to choose from.

Sorry, resume with the scheduled progam.........

J

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
is the Heliux new? ive only ever heard of the Hilux
Ford's global Ranger is fantastic and has a diesel but will never appear in the States.

Cliff, there is room when the bikes are over the tailgate, but its not a lot really. still should be plenty of room to fit all your gear and other riding stuff.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Cliff, there is room when the bikes are over the tailgate, but its not a lot really. still should be plenty of room to fit all your gear and other riding stuff.
Good to know. No real world experience on the amount of room left, since everyone I ride with uses a large DH bike...

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
is the Heliux new? ive only ever heard of the Hilux
Ford's global Ranger is fantastic and has a diesel but will never appear in the States.
Your correct, it's Hilux.....I saw the Ford Ranger diesel as well as the Nissan crew cab short bed. Yes, sucks we'll never see any of them.

btw...we have a 08' Highlander, flawless for 2 yrs w/ just oil changes. I'm not sure if it shares the Taco engine. My next truck will be a used Merican diesel or new Taco.

Uncle Cliffy, hold out for the long bed and you'll be happy in the long run.

J

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Right. For trips, I'm thinking this:

Then tarp all our gear in the back, with possibly a 5th bike with the wheels off. Trips to Whistler would suck with more than 4 heads anyway...
Get a northshore rack. I have one. Sooo BA.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I just bought a '08 Tacoma access cab, 4X4, standard bed with 28K on the clock. Mine has the 2.7 i4 and 5 speed (saved me money) and it has plenty of power for me. It still has the passenger tires it came with, but I'll be getting all terrain tires when these wear out. I've ordered a cap for it (Leer) so I can carry seismographs and about 200# of sandbags without fear of it getting wet in the rain. Also keeps the bikes "out of view" on the way to the trails. With the composite beds, get a bed liner so everything doesn't slide around. I got mine from Auto Zone for $50.

This is it.

What's the grey box?

how does the RWD (4X2) tacoma handle in the snow/rain compared to the 4x4?

this will be my commuter, shuttle, camping truck. no gnarly offroading, just dirt/gravel roads. no heavy towing either.

it does snow/rain a fair amount here in Northern Va, i just wanna know if the 4X2 gets squirrely easily in the slick.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
driving a 2wd truck in the snow isnt that difficult to do with proper tires and you probably wouldnt be using 4wd in the rain too. that being said, if youve never driven a a pickup in the rain, itll take a bit to get used to it's traction around turns

it is my first personal truck. i drove a silverado (my ex-gf's) from chicago to seattle on a road trip. seemed fine to drive, nothing that different than the isuzu rodeo i had at the time.

can you be alittle more specific/descriptive? i understand that it's a heavier and higher CoG vehicle, i'm not gonna be throwing it around corners like a go-kart.

i like the 4X2 because it gets alittle better gas mileage... and also a tad less expensive.

i'm also assuming that most folks responding in this thread has the V6. the 4-cyl sounds puny.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
it is my first personal truck. i drove a silverado (my ex-gf's) from chicago to seattle on a road trip. seemed fine to drive, nothing that different than the isuzu rodeo i had at the time.

can you be alittle more specific/descriptive? i understand that it's a heavier and higher CoG vehicle, i'm not gonna be throwing it around corners like a go-kart.

i like the 4X2 because it gets alittle better gas mileage... and also a tad less expensive.

i'm also assuming that most folks responding in this thread has the V6. the 4-cyl sounds puny.
the back end of lighter weight pickups tend to step out just a bit on a rain soaked or gravely turn . they are both going to perform pretty much the same in 2wd and like i said, you probably arent ever going to be using 4wd in the rain.

the 4cyl is puny but the 4x2 4cyl gets the best mileage out of the bunch.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle

this will be my commuter, shuttle, camping truck. no gnarly offroading, just dirt/gravel roads. no heavy towing either.

it does snow/rain a fair amount here in Northern Va, i just wanna know if the 4X2 gets squirrely easily in the slick.
I have a TRD Sport Prerunner. It does pretty well. I live in a very wet city and never have issues in the rain. Rain is all about tires anyways.
I drive in the snow regularly. I have to chain up about twice a year. Yeah it's a pain, but it does save a lot of money and gas.
With good chains, the limited slip is better than most 4wds in the snow. I've been in knee deep snow, no issues. Icy, unsanded steep hills, pulling trucks out of the ditch, etc.
Unless you are rockcrawling, I don't see issues in the summer. Though maybe in the mud. We don't really get the grease that you guys do.

after 2 weeks of schlepping to car dealerships and scouring autotrader/craigslist, i finally purchased my bike hauler.

(new to me) 2006 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 4x4. It's a double cab with a 4L V6.

I already ordered waterproof seatcovers, weathertech customfit floor covers, and Dakine tailgate pad. She'll be a fine shuttling vehicle. I'm gonna lay down some clear vinyl 'moto' sticker sheets to protect the paint on the high wear areas on the bumper/tailgate/rear quarter panels.

On the horizon are new LED/HID headlights, taillights, 2" lift, new rims/tires, grill, air intake, and exhaust.

@ IH8rice, know of any good custom truck shops? willing to drive to PA for solid work.

@Bizutch, i strongly considered getting just a beater, but it was hard to find something privately that wasn't overpriced, or clapped out. and my wife wasn't too keen about keeping 3 cars around. it was the excuse i needed to dump the camry (asian standard issue), give her the outback (which i love), and get the Tacoma (my daily driver, and fun truck)

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
what are you looking to have done? the majority of the work you mentioned is pretty easy to do yourself, but most people sometimes dont want to tackle the suspension upgrade.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Well, a friend of mine keyed me on to a 2006 Crew TRD Off Road for 17.5k. Manual trans. It looks great, but has 120k miles... Normally I would pass, but it's amazing to find one for less than 20 here. Gal who traded it in had a 100 mile commute, and was the original owner.

Hmmmm...