Quantcast

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I think Overeem and Anderson Silva might have something to say about that.
I'm tired with overeem hype train. He's not even a MMA fighter anymore. Haven't fought in a while and will not fast. There are many 1 dimensional good strikers in the world of MMA.

Though I agree people overestimate gsp's striking. He has beaten KOS standing, not Pitbull.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
That fight card was really good. I couldn't believe all of the slick BJJ going on. I also can't believe the guys that got tapped out were the guys that I thought had the BJJ advantage.
GSP ruled. Once again, he and Anderson make everybody in their weight classes look like they aren't professional fighters. GSP and Anderson look like the only two pros in the UFC right now. Depends on how Cain does, but it'll take him a long time to get his record up there if he can. I guess Aldo makes all of the little guys look like amateurs too. I was way stoked on these fights.

BillT

Monkey
I don't see how you can knock a K1 gran prix winner's striking ability. I never said that Ubereem was super-bestest MMA fighter in the world, only that has very good striking. I do believe that he's a top 10 heavy weight MMA fighter and would love to see him fight in more MMA matches in the US...assuming he can continue to pass drug tests.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Maybe Kos will learn how to duck next time. GSP's hit percentage was spot on (finally watched the fight last night). I would have liked to see him put away, but it was a pure clinic from the opening bell.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I don't see how you can knock a K1 gran prix winner's striking ability. I never said that Ubereem was super-bestest MMA fighter in the world, only that has very good striking. I do believe that he's a top 10 heavy weight MMA fighter and would love to see him fight in more MMA matches in the US...assuming he can continue to pass drug tests.
Because MMA striking and K1 striking is different. I want to see him fight active not hide behind big gloves and punch when there is chance. Not really doable in MMA. I do belive he is a very good striker but I am just tired with what happened after his K1 win. Strinking game in one sport doesn't transition so well into the other. Just look at Jean Carles Skarbowsky - great results in Muay Thai but quite bad in K1. Overeem is a very good striker but it's a bit annoying it always pops up when ppl talk about striking in MMA.

Though sorry I'm having a bit of a bad week so I'm prone to complaining.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I read somewhere that Koscheck had a broken orbital bone from round 1. Tough mofo to make it all rounds with GSP jackin it the whole time. They also said that he couldn't fly home because he had an air pocket behind his eye or something like that. UFC had to drive him from Montreal to Boston. Don't know what he did from there because I think he lives in Cali.

What was with the guy that Overeem fought in that last tournament? The guy was only using his left arm. When Overeem kicked him in the arm, they called the fight.

Batman

Monkey
May 20, 2002
Mississauga
Overeem's striking is not proven in MMA. He is an amazing K1 striker but that is completely different than MMA. Throwing strikes and not having to worry about takedowns is a different game. But the guy does hit harddd.
This is also why I consider GSP to be in the top few strikers. He can throw AND defend takedowns...which is key in MMA. Silva proved in his last fight he cant effectively strike and defend takedowns...yet...which sort of nullifies his striking. He's still superhuman though.
Bantam and featherweight are gonna showcase some crazy fast hands/feet from some uber-tough little mofo's.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Overeem's striking is not proven in MMA. He is an amazing K1 striker but that is completely different than MMA. Throwing strikes and not having to worry about takedowns is a different game. But the guy does hit harddd.
This is also why I consider GSP to be in the top few strikers. He can throw AND defend takedowns...which is key in MMA. Silva proved in his last fight he cant effectively strike and defend takedowns...yet...which sort of nullifies his striking. He's still superhuman though.
Bantam and featherweight are gonna showcase some crazy fast hands/feet from some uber-tough little mofo's.
Pure MMA striking GSP is still far behind many weaker fighters. He is a complete fighter that is for sure but he is not one of the best strikers.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Id say Anderson Silva, Bas Rutten, Vitor Belfort or Thiago Alvez are the first to come to mind as excellent stikers in MMA.
Ubereem is an excellent kickboxer but as said, this doenst say much for MMA.
I think GSP surprised everyone with his standup against Kos, hes not the greatest stiker yet but hes certainly learning...

Id still put Ubereem up as a MMA top 10 HW though, and I really dont even like the guy despite that fact that hes Dutch.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I read somewhere that Koscheck had a broken orbital bone from round 1. Tough mofo to make it all rounds with GSP jackin it the whole time. They also said that he couldn't fly home because he had an air pocket behind his eye or something like that. UFC had to drive him from Montreal to Boston. Don't know what he did from there because I think he lives in Cali.
Drove to Boston to have surgery and relieve the pressure/air bubble behind his eye/make sure the orbital doesn't migrate....Surgery was delayed due to swelling though...

Leppah said:
What was with the guy that Overeem fought in that last tournament? The guy was only using his left arm. When Overeem kicked him in the arm, they called the fight.
That's cause it was their third fight of the night. Aerts (who's 40...)had previously gone up against a 290lb. 6'11" guy that punished the crap out of him.

BillT

Monkey
I don't think that Todd Duffee is all that great either, but Overeem's 'unproven MMA striking' was enough to take out the current record holder for fastest knockout in the UFC in rather quick fashion. I just find it funny that someone who has a 34-11 MMA record with 14 KO's and just won the K-1 heavyweight gran prix has unproven striking.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Anybody watch the fights last night. Good god that was a really good fight card. I can't believe that Edgar survived the first round. Talk about heart.

Leben/Stann fight was awesome.

Poor Vera. That nose was jacked.

Diaz/Kim was an awesome grappling match. I've never seen DIaz get owned like that all over the ground.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Anybody watch the fights last night. Good god that was a really good fight card. I can't believe that Edgar survived the first round. Talk about heart.

Leben/Stann fight was awesome.

Poor Vera. That nose was jacked.

Diaz/Kim was an awesome grappling match. I've never seen DIaz get owned like that all over the ground.
F*cking judges. One judge scoring a title fight 47-47....you've got to be kidding me...

Vera's face just isn't getting a rest. Jeebus...

That prelim kimura was vicious too...

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Yeah, that sucks that the title fight ended up being a draw. It was way close though. I just don't want to see them fight again. When they do fight again, I hope Edgar takes it to him. I like Edgar a lot more after that fight. That guy has heart. That first round was impressive as hell.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Surprisingly short bout. Dana White can't complain, but it kinda made me doubt that I'd bother to watch the next Silva fight. His fights are going to start to suffer from "I'll catch it on DVD"-istis.

Definitely a decisive win, but a "meh" fight to watch.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Silva is the end boss on a really hard MMA video game. He finished guys and clowns them like nobody can. Nobody has ever finished a fight like that. NObody has ever finished Vitor like that. Silva seriously is the best in the world, hands down.

On another note, Jon Jones is going to be one of those guys. It's going to be Anderson, GSP, and Jones all at the top, making the "best fighters" look like amateurs.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I agree with you but I'm worried about the short notice fight with Shogun. It's no Bader. He is many levels above and maybe taking some time to prepare would be smarter.

Though If he looses and Phil Davis wins his next fight I want to see a Bones vs mr. Wonderful fight.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I could tell by mid round that Silva was getting bored. He started waving his hands around like he was a ninja.

I said the worst thing for any opponent of the Spider is to bore him. A minute later the very unlikely straight kick to the chin and lights out.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I agree with you but I'm worried about the short notice fight with Shogun. It's no Bader. He is many levels above and maybe taking some time to prepare would be smarter.

Though If he looses and Phil Davis wins his next fight I want to see a Bones vs mr. Wonderful fight.

It'll be interesting. I've been a huge shogun nut hugger ever since i saw him in PRIDE against Quinton. Shogun is awesome, but it sure looks like BOnes is awesome too. I don't want to see either of those two lose. They're both awesome fighters. But I do think that Jones is going to beat him. he's never fought anybody like Shogun, but he looks so solid, it's crazy. It'll be one of the best title fights in a long time that's not one sided. They're both complete fighters.

Phil needs to prove himself against some better opponents. But he's another one that's going to be up top pretty soon.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I could tell by mid round that Silva was getting bored. He started waving his hands around like he was a ninja.

I said the worst thing for any opponent of the Spider is to bore him. A minute later the very unlikely straight kick to the chin and lights out.
I told some friends that he was getting serious when he started moving around fast and putting his hands down. I told them not to blink. Then, it was over.

I can't believe his accuracy. I also can't believe how good he is about stepping out of the way. He dodged some punches just by barely moving, all while his hands were down. He's nothing short of impressive. Nobody will ever be as good as him. He beats opponents with no problems at all, other than the roider.

Hunter

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
The Right coast
Hah...Jones trains with Rashad Evans. He has been "pretending" to be Rua for the last handful of months, helping Evans train. Rua has been home nursing a knee injury before training for the Evans fight, while Jones has been out beating ass and not taking any major damage. Rua will give him a good fight, but damn I'd like to see Jones win. Did I mention he lives in my town. :)

Great fight card. Fun to watch Silva with the KO, and glad to see Forrest win too.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Straight kick to the face, wow. What's next, a tap out due to purple nurple? Seriously, how many different ways is he going to beat a guy?

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Man, with Silva you just have no idea how he's going to win. It's like he wants the most highlight reels ever. Something called, "Craziests wins ever".

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma

If I were his manager I wouldn't have let him take that fight... it's too early for him to fight Shogun. He needs a fight or two against a real contender before he goes after Shogun. All the guys he's fought up to this point were contenders to be a contenders.

As for the Silva win... that's a tricky kick. basically Silva is a professional... like I always say he and GSP are the real professionals in this sport.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I know there is talk of a Silva St.Pierre fight, but what I'd like to see even more is Silva vs John Jones at 205. They have similar body-types, crazy long reach etc. I think that GSP at 185 is gopnna get mauled. He just isnt big enough to deal with Silva's reach.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
If I were his manager I wouldn't have let him take that fight... it's too early for him to fight Shogun. He needs a fight or two against a real contender before he goes after Shogun. All the guys he's fought up to this point were contenders to be a contenders.

As for the Silva win... that's a tricky kick. basically Silva is a professional... like I always say he and GSP are the real professionals in this sport.
Don't forget there is a random aspect to this sport. GSP got beat down by Matt Serra....:doh:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'm thinking he may decide to be a pimp and see if he can just literally smack someone unconscious with the palm of his hand. How sick would that be?
That's what he KO'ed Forest with, a straight bitch slap. But openhanded would have been the ultimate, you are correct.

It's funny because I bet he could.

<edit> Don't let him get on top. :rofl:

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I told some friends that he was getting serious when he started moving around fast and putting his hands down. I told them not to blink. Then, it was over.

I can't believe his accuracy. I also can't believe how good he is about stepping out of the way. He dodged some punches just by barely moving, all while his hands were down. He's nothing short of impressive. Nobody will ever be as good as him. He beats opponents with no problems at all, other than the roider.
Well, Sonnen's style is the probably the best to challenge Silva, wrestling followed by ground-n-pound. Being on the dope is what made it almost happened.

But it is rare to see a knockout from a front kick. Besides the amazing flexibility and speed you need to connect with your foot to someone's head, it is hard to disguise. If you twist your hip, your side kick could be going low or high.

A straight kick is going up the pipe and the defense is simply put your hands down and shuffle back.

Belfort looked like he was stunned when he took it on the chin.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I know there is talk of a Silva St.Pierre fight, but what I'd like to see even more is Silva vs John Jones at 205. They have similar body-types, crazy long reach etc. I think that GSP at 185 is gopnna get mauled. He just isnt big enough to deal with Silva's reach.
Totally agree... silva has such great striking already. Why they think a shorter/smaller guy is going to be a challenge for him I have no idea. That'd be a gimmick fight.

Jon Jones matches up stylistically, but he's not ready for someone like silva yet yet IMHO. The only guys in the UFC that could give silva a challenge at MW or LHW is Randy Couture. He'd figure out a way. He's really good at figuring out how to dismantle good strikers.