Quantcast

WC dh #2 Champéry

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I asked: Do I need to download some special codec or something?
You answered: You may not have the correct codec.

Not really an answer is it! :disgust1: ;)
not sure it will help, but the properties lists the vid codec as 'Windows Media Video 9', and the audio codec as 'Windows Media Audio 9
32 kbps, 44 kHz, mono (A/V) 1-pass CBR'

but then again, I get no sound..so....

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
The idea of the points was just that, it allowed you to choose. Go for broke and get 50 points, or go cautiously and hope it paid off in finals.

BTW rule change has now been confirmed through the UCI.

Explanation as to why and how it will work is here:
http://www.transcendmagazine.com/archives/2007/06/world_cup_downh.html

Thanks for the heads up.
Have they indicated if the points awarded for qualifying are null and void now? What good is qualifying except for "those less than immortal"?

I can "kind of" understand that rule being in play for ONLY the last round of the series or something of that nature to ensure a tight race...but now if you're top 20...why qualify? Just roll down doing the "Parade Wave" and tossing out stickers...:wave:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Ya I agree, doesn't really make any sense now? Not fair to throw out those points now either, as some guys (like sam) went for the points, not the good start position.

Rule changes mid season are stupid.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
sounds like pints still count the same...

the way i read it is that the WORST anyone in the top 20th can qualify is 20th. the top 20 guys will just be "reseeded" after qualifiers and run in reverse order as always... the worst placed ranked rider starts 20th, the fatstest seeded rider in qualifiers goes last.

but if the 21st ranked rider qualifies first, he would be pushed back to 21st by this new rule... but would still get 1st place qualifier points

it is a seeding run and qualifier at the same time... sort of a qualifier in a qualifier

guys can go as fast or slow as they want and choose to chase qualifier points... but no longer with tactics, flats, crashes etc send you to the back of the pack for early start times

i think it is the right thing to do in the spirit of competition, and when a guy wins no one can make excuses for him like the past 2 races

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Well no, they don't have a chocie to go as fast or as slow as they want. Only reason to go slow was to be near the bottom of the qualifying list. So now they have to pin it and get the points, as the competition will be.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
©2001;2570141 said:
was kovarik not top 20 overall, so he didn't make finals based on quali? how was he not top 20 with a win last year?
I was wondering the same thing. He may have been out of the top 20 overall due to it being early in the season and he didn't seem to do too many other events. Although, i am not sure if they base the top 20 on the World Cup overall, or UCI points?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Helloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo?

Damien Mermoud - 4.2 seconds quicker at the split than Hill in qualifying, when Hill stamped 15seconds into everyone else? No-one interested?!

:lighten: :clapping: :shocked:

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Helloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo?

Damien Mermoud - 4.2 seconds quicker at the split than Hill in qualifying, when Hill stamped 15seconds into everyone else? No-one interested?!

:lighten: :clapping: :shocked:
and 25 seconds slower on the second half of the course :clapping:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
becasue Hill could have gone far more than 15 seconds faster, considering what he had up his sleeve later in the day i would doubt his semi-final was his best effort.

besides, only Barel fans care about who wins the split race

Jin

Chimp
Oct 19, 2006
wat. does this new rule mean that all the top guys r gonna go off in a big train?

anyone know what happend to philip polc?

tsamps

Chimp
May 6, 2007
I'm all for leaving the qualifying format as is. How does World Cup Skiing do their top 20? Auto qualify or is it fall down/go home?

Also, I thought UCI gave points for qualifying to make qualifying such a massively important factor for the pros to go hard in practice. Am I right on that? You gain more points in qualifying, meaning the difference in the overall at seasons end?

It's nobody's fault but Hill and Nico's that they qualified the way they did. Them and it looked like Gee were the only real top dogs who chose to qualify high and go for a few points. Their strategic mistake.

I remember Minnarr cost himself a higher finish at Worlds a few years back...gambled that it would rain during finals. Instead, the top guys had a dry, grooved in line come finals time.
Skiing does a reverse top thirty, meaning they take the results from the first run and reverse them, so the first place person goes thirtieth and the thirtieth person goes first. so in mountain biking, take the first fifteen or thirty finishers from qualifying and reverse them.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
©2001;2570388 said:
stik got post 666. coincidence?

edit: forgot the :) to emphasize this is in good fun.
Always...love me some fun.

I wanted 666, then I am gonna try for 777 because I saw a boxvan once of a skate team with jesus on back door and #777 on side-sick. ;)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
becasue Hill could have gone far more than 15 seconds faster, considering what he had up his sleeve later in the day i would doubt his semi-final was his best effort.

besides, only Barel fans care about who wins the split race
Think you got that one backwards...it goes like this "Peat was leading Barel at the split...until he slid out....he would have won too!" :thumb:

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i'm now a sam hill fanboy after seeing that video. whipping around that turn and just floating down the hill at the finish have me a convert.

:)