Quantcast

***Wednesday GMT***

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I'm not cool enough to own an iphone. :(

I do long for the day when I leave my current job and can see how far I can throw my work phone.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Ugh, just weighed myself.
I have some work to do in the kitchen, the gym, and on the bike.
Anyone remember the “Old Guys Who Get Fat In Winter” thing from Velo News?

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
for anyone interested in actually improving cycling fitness, etc, training with a power meter is the single most useful thing you can use.
I thought it was riding
I’m a big fan these days of polarized training. Bulk of time in zone 2 by power (which roughly corresponds to my upper half of zone 2 by heart rate). Remainder above FTP.

Hard to do this without a device that measures power.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I too am carrying some extra mid-rift padding right now. Injured knee and achilles have screwed up my riding for the last couple of months. :(

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
So, I have never lifted weights in my life up until this last year. I have been doing a group strength training class three days a week for about three months. It is a tough class.
Anyone have any thoughts on how much of my ‘weight gain’ (about 5-8 pounds over summer) could be muscle? It’s not like I am visibly bulking up or anything, just getting stronger.
To be clear, I am a n00b at this, I’m still weak overall.
And I love sugar. And cheese. And authentic tacos, and....

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So, I have never lifted weights in my life up until this last year. I have been doing a group strength training class three days a week for about three months. It is a tough class.
Anyone have any thoughts on how much of my ‘weight gain’ (about 5-8 pounds over summer) could be muscle? It’s not like I am visibly bulking up or anything, just getting stronger.
5-8 lbs would probably be mostly muscle. if you have a more accurate means to measure BMI (calculating just based on height and weight assumes a standard distribution of muscle to fat, to get an accurate idea you need to know volume) you'd have a better idea (but ideally you would have needed to baseline your bmi prior to that). i think there are some smart scales that can get a better estimation of BMI over height vs weight.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
It ain't muscle, Tubby. :D

It's the tacos.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
That’s encouraging.
And an awesome rationale to have brisket and calzones this weekend.
thank you, sir!
my belt is still at the same hole as summer, if not one less, so there’s that.
And SS can eat my lardons.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
interesting. by the time you source both sets of pedals, it'd still be close to $900.
the assioma unos (single sided) are $440. Looks like the Xpedo M4s are $110. So that's $550 for two sets of pedals, and you'd really only have to git gud at swapping one side (or see if you can buy a replacement axle which I think is $260). That seems pretty reasonable, but I'd probably rather just grab a crankarm for my MTB if I ever got there.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
for anyone interested in actually improving cycling fitness, etc, training with a power meter is the single most useful thing you can use.
I was having second thoughts about using the ignore feature...not anymore!

I am hoping to race crits when the pandemic blows over...or maybe XC if it still exists.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hey internetters LOL! I did an hour on the bike trainer early this morning. Wife made me get up early for it. This marriage is abusive. It's going to be sunny and 49 degrees today. Sweeeet.

Heeeey, noooooo.....you'll do...you're gonna do great....
oh, so now that i got a power meter and you can see my FTP, you're following me on strava? sheesh you elitist triathletes

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the assioma unos (single sided) are $440. Looks like the Xpedo M4s are $110. So that's $550 for two sets of pedals, and you'd really only have to git gud at swapping one side (or see if you can buy a replacement axle which I think is $260). That seems pretty reasonable, but I'd probably rather just grab a crankarm for my MTB if I ever got there.
i was basing my price calculation on the double sided version.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I was having second thoughts about using the ignore feature...not anymore!

I am hoping to race crits when the pandemic blows over...or maybe XC if it still exists.
this book was recommended to me

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
this book was recommended to me

I'll have to take a look and see what people recommend. Quite literally every professional trainer I have observed has said that power meter-based training is the way to go and offers dramatic advantages over HR based metrics.

Plus it'll allow me to compete with the denizens of RM in zwift, so there's that.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Busy day planning tank usage to get as many R&D brews done as quickly as possible. I'm hoping to free up a slot or two in the schedule to turn over to a few of the guys to brew whatever they want.

Oh, and bought a bike last night. The knees can't handle distance rides on the SS 'cross bike anymore, so I just dropped an order for a Niner RLT 9 RDO. I wanted steel, but that would have pushed delivery to August; I was offered carbon at the same price. :)

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
5-8 lbs would probably be mostly muscle. if you have a more accurate means to measure BMI (calculating just based on height and weight assumes a standard distribution of muscle to fat, to get an accurate idea you need to know volume) you'd have a better idea (but ideally you would have needed to baseline your bmi prior to that). i think there are some smart scales that can get a better estimation of BMI over height vs weight.
do you not have a belt? with notches?