Quantcast

Well Designed Web Sites

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I'm a graphic designer and I don't do web, but I got talked into putting some graphics together for a friends site. The problem is that he's hooked up with this Netobjects template crap, yet he wants Flash animation, videos, sound etc. Post some very well designed web site links so I can show him the best that's out there, and then get him to go to a site designer. apple.com is one of my faves for cleanliness, typography and ease of use. Also, if you're a professional and interested in this project, lemme know.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Flash is great if done correctly. If there is a "skip intro" link, that should be a sign that there is no point to the intro, so why have it in the first place?

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
stinkyboy said:
I'm a graphic designer and I don't do web, but I got talked into putting some graphics together for a friends site. The problem is that he's hooked up with this Netobjects template crap, yet he wants Flash animation, videos, sound etc. Post some very well designed web site links so I can show him the best that's out there, and then get him to go to a site designer. apple.com is one of my faves for cleanliness, typography and ease of use. Also, if you're a professional and interested in this project, lemme know.
What type of site is this? What's his target audience? Different types of sites can use/require different designs and layouts, i.e. a designer's portfolio site can be much different than a corporation's site, yet both can be considered well designed. Personally, I think my personal portolio site is well designed, but it wouldn't work as a corporate site. Apple's site is very well designed, but it would be pretty boring as a site to promote a movie.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
jimmydean said:
Flash is great if done correctly. If there is a "skip intro" link, that should be a sign that there is no point to the intro, so why have it in the first place?
Show me great Flash. I want to see this.

And I get really pi$$ed when there's a dumb Flash intro with no "Skip" option. :mad:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
pixelninja said:
What type of site is this? What's his target audience? Different types of sites can use/require different designs and layouts, i.e. a designer's portfolio site can be much different than a corporation's site, yet both can be considered well designed. Personally, I think my personal portolio site is well designed, but it wouldn't work as a corporate site. Apple's site is very well designed, but it would be pretty boring as a site to promote a movie.
It's a VW resto and repair shop called VW Island. The owner's got this whole tropical island theme going, so it can/should be a casual and fun site with an old bug or bus "surfing" around.

Some cheesy T-shirt art I did for him:

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
SkaredShtles said:
Friends don't let friends do Flash.

I hate that crap. :mad:

Here is an example of a completely worthless website:

http://www.hp.com/

Flash sucks in most of its common usages.

Fraser is a great designer. Transcendmagazine.com is probably the best site in the bike biz.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
BeerDemon said:
Flash sucks in most of its common usages.

Fraser is a great designer. Transcendmagazine.com is probably the best site in the bike biz.
I agree with this comment as well, major props to him and an eye for clean design :thumb:

Dont count yourself out either your stuff is really well done, one of my favorite designs i have seen on the web :thumb:

www.thodyconsulting.com

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
stinkyboy said:
Your design expertise consists of ?

:clue:
This statement is exactly what is wrong with the industry. A web site is supposed to be a business tool, not an entry in an art contest. The first question that needs to be asked is "how will the site increase sales for our business". That site looks neat, but I'm sure a lot more could have been done to showcase what they are selling.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
stinkyboy said:
Your design expertise consists of ?

:clue:
SS doesn't need any design expertise. He's the end user who these people hope will come to their site and then buy their stuff. Its his opinion that matters, not some design expert or Flash guru. You can have the most beautiful site in the world, but if the end user thinks your site is just ok, then its just ok. Web design goes a lot deeper than good design. Usability is really where its at.

edit: D'oh. BeerDemon beat me to it.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
BeerDemon said:
This statement is exactly what is wrong with the industry.
SS's statement is what's wrong with many clients. This site is very clean and "cool" and is geared towards the web based "gadget" consumers. Very effective. SS does not strike me as being in that target marget and just throws out a comment reflecting his personal taste.

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
pixelninja said:
SS doesn't need any design expertise. He's the end user who these people hope will come to their site and then buy their stuff. Its his opinion that matters, not some design expert or Flash guru. You can have the most beautiful site in the world, but if the end user thinks your site is just ok, then its just ok. Web design goes a lot deeper than good design. Usability is really where its at.

edit: D'oh. BeerDemon beat me to it.
Well said. Designers shouldn't be making marketing decisions for a company. That's what marketing professionals are for.

The end user is extremely important in this equation. If a company was doing a effectiveness study on their site, who would they ask about the site? Designers? Or the people who will be buying the products?