Quantcast

What are you reading?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I picked "Sacred Games" by Vikram Chandra back up. 900 pages. Evidently the word "no" is not in his editors vocabulary.

pedalmunky

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
"Identity" by Milan Kundera
"Flow" by Mihaly Csikszentmihaly
"Two-fisted Tales" EC Comics Archive Vol I

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I'm currently reading Michael Chrichton's State of Fear, which is REALLY good. I read his latest book, Next, but didn't care for it all that much.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I just read Candide (Voltaire). Aside from the plague, pirates, warring barbarians, and Spanish Inquisition, its not much unlike my own life. Oh and I forgot the fact that I ain't that pvssy whipped :rofl:

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Finished Chaos by Gleick. A great and important book if you're into science.
Reading The Tangled Wing by Konner and The Golden Compass

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
So I saw they are releasing a movie of a book I read in college (for fun, not class).
The Way of the Peaceful Warrior, by Dan Millman.
Read it before you see the movie

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So I saw they are releasing a movie of a book I read in college (for fun, not class).
The Way of the Peaceful Warrior, by Dan Millman.
Read it before you see the movie
I thought movies were so I could AVOID reading?

Actually, I will often read a book after I've seen the movie so I am left with a better mental picture. If I read the book and the movie sucks, then it sort of spoils it for me.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
State of Fear by Michael Crichton
Crisis by Robin Cook
Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz
All 3 are very good, the first two raise some interesting social/political issues.

I just finished Sam's Letters to Jennifer by James Patterson. Not his typical work, and not a typical "guy" book, but it was a wonderful, beautiful story.

Up next is The Life of Pi...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
The last three books by Crichton were weak. I'm not sure where "State of Fear" falls in the chronology, but "Prey" for example was the suck.

Last three books I read, the book I'm reading and the next books I'm going to read are all by Christopher Moore

Goddy43

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
I'm in the middle of the book about the ultra marathon man - Dean Karnazes.

Not the most complex read but its been great so far.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
The last three books by Crichton were weak. I'm not sure where "State of Fear" falls in the chronology, but "Prey" for example was the suck.[/url]
I picked up Prey at Barnes and Noble the other day, but it didn't sound very promising, so I put it back. I did read Next, and yes, it was NOT one of his better books.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i just finished nicholas cook's "a guide to musical analysis". dry, but ultimately worthwhile for the dedicated reader. :D

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Just read The Tetherballs of Bougainville by Mark Leyner. Hilariously entertaining. Also finished American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis, and loved it as well.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I've got "On the Road" by JK waiting on the shelf... now to find some time to read it. :rant:
ugh, am I the only one that hated that book?

spoiler-Self-serving a-holes as characters just don't cut it for me no matter how true, fascinating and original the adventure was.-spoiler

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Just finished Survivor by Chuck Palahchuck(sp?). It was my first book of his, and I'd say that it was okay. People rave about him, so perhaps this simply wasn't one of his better books.

I'm looking for a good fiction read. Any suggestions?

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Can you be more specific? What kind, style, humor, pace, narration...

Or what are some of the books/authors you've read that you'd like to find similar stuff?
No sci-fi or fantasy. Humor? Not in the mood right now.

Of the mainstream authors I've read, three stand out: Grisham, Koontz, and King.

Good question on pace. One thing I hated about Survivor was that the story took place over several years, but the book was over almost as soon as it started. I thoroughly enjoyed King's Dark Tower (but seven books? Damn!), so I'm not opposed to starting another series. What about The Stand? I know the basic story, but is the book worthwhile?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Just finished Survivor by Chuck Palahchuck(sp?). It was my first book of his, and I'd say that it was okay. People rave about him, so perhaps this simply wasn't one of his better books.

I'm looking for a good fiction read. Any suggestions?
Try this....

A mute getaway driver who has a bad day.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Finished Chaos by Gleick. A great and important book if you're into science.
Reading The Tangled Wing by Konner and The Golden Compass
Golden Compass movie starts today :D

Hope it's a good translation from the books as they rocked.

Reading now: Jim Butcher's book 4 of Alera, "Captain's Fury".

Actually put down Kage Baker's final book of The Company where the year 2355 is rapidly approaching, but her writing style now is like watching baby seals clubed to death.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I'm currently reading a ton of different articles on CCD (Colony Collapse Disorder)...I'm worried about the bees...D

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I recently read Disposable People: New Slavery in the Global Economy. It was a great read, albeit disturbing at times. I highly suggest it.

Last week I finished Steroid Nation. It was a quick read, but only because I couldn't put it down. I found it fascinating to read a book that chronicled (sp?) the rise of steriod use in the US.

Now, Sin in the Second City. I am only about 20 or 30 pages into the book, so I can't vouch for its worth. The book tells the story of the Everleigh sisters and how they came to run the most popular brothel in the world. So far, so good.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Golden Compass movie starts today :D

Hope it's a good translation from the books as they rocked.
The polar bears fighting was cool. That was the lone bright spot. I get the feeling that the movie could have been better if it was twice as long.

Currently reading/waiting to be read:

I Am Legend by Richard Matheson

The Black Lizard Big Book of Pulps

World War Z by Max Brooks

Money For Nothing by Donald Westlake